Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I have to disagree. One of the first things I said to my buddy after logging on was how much I liked the new login screen/music. Seems very fitting.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Some people spend time in character creation.
    Ah, yeah, never even realized the music was still playing during that. It does makes sense, in so far as courting new players for a 15 years old game makes sense.

Yeah - the music lacks something. A new, really recurring theme. The only thing we have right now is the white-shark like dum dum dum dum. Basically what you hear in the cinematic for the expansion and the logo comes in front. Every xpac had his own sound. You hear it, you know exactly where you are. MoP, WoD, Legion etc.

Shadowlands is missing this somehow. A simple but catchy tone, that comes into play on may occasions tru the xpac.

IMHO the login screen music itself is fine and really nicely made. But I miss this part I mentioned
    "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrej and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me." - Susan Ivanova, Between the Darkness and the Light, Babylon 5

"Only one human captain ever survived a battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me! You are in front of me! If you value your lives - be somewhere else!" - Delenn, Severed Dreams, Babylon 5

5+ Year Old Account
    I actually like the first bars of the tune, but then it explodes into an orchestral cacophony that completely kills the "afterlife" mood. In that regard, Bastion does a much better job, as does Night Fae. On the other hand, Maldraxxus and Revendreth themes are pretty meh, and whoever composed the music for the Maw didn't have a clue about what the zone is supposed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

My thoughts? No one ever called Shadowlands "Shad" before or after this thread.

Another non thread.

Don't really like the theme. It lacks the distinct 'Warcraft sound'.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally love it. My only issue is how quiet the first few seconds are. There isn't the usual in your face theme but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. When they first released the login screen music I sat and listened to it like 4 times because I enjoyed it so much.

The riff should fire off earlier, apart from that I like it a lot better than BFA's even if it doesn't crack the top 3 (which are WoD, Mists and Classic).
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Does it start screaming Tiny balls at you the moment you open the game? You know given the rest they've copied from Shadowbringers

I loved the new somber theme personally. BfA's felt a tad...generic? That's not the best word, but it didn't feel terribly unique. The SL music is pretty different, and the quiet is actually pretty soothing to listen too when you login after a crash compared to being assaulted with loud instruments.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the art but I thought this was the most boring login music they've done so far. I wish they would let us set our own login screen and login music expansion choices and call it good.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be bias but I think the range of what's been composed was considerably restricted with the leaving of Russell Brower. The old tropes are there but to my mind Brower encouraged more a more diverse range of styles within an expansion and continually pushed the team to expand beyond simple tropes.

I think the music now is OK but there's nothing in particular that stands out. To each their own of course and I'm speaking not so much of quality but a range of moods, orchestrations, etc. I also tend to believe that the music now reaches too hard for 'epic' which could be said for the entire game.

Epic is a proportional function of having a lot of quieter stuff to balance against. As the game fades a bit the tendency is to make everything bigger and to ignore the 'less is sometimes more' idea.

One more note: I've only heard bits and pieces out of context for the SL music. But so far, nothing has jumped out at me like in some previous expansions. I'm perfectly willing to admit that this holds for not just the music but the entire game as I see it personally.

Edit: Huh. 30,000. Sigh.

<grin @rrayy>
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-10-14 at 09:30 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I never personally went crazy for the login screen music in WoW, it's mostly just a mashup of several pieces you hear throughout the game. I think the music quality might have suffered a bit also due to CoViD, it must not have been easy to blow those trumpets with masks on.

Quote like the login music.

LOVE the throwback music during the Exiles Reach starting questing experience.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was very good, I don't think I have been disappointed with any of the music from the login screens, they're all basically the same with a thematic twist, and I always look forward to when that big boom hits

i quite like it, it refreshes the old track while also paying tribute to it

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Are we going to argue that orange is better color than pink next? It's so subjective...
    It's not subjective. Pink is better than orange.

On topic... I like the music. It is, however, much softer in both volume and tone than previous versions. It gives it more of an ambient feel, which works for me - and I assume the expansion.

I'll say, the music seems a touch "boring", but I've also not really sat and LISTENED to it. One nice thing, though, is when changing characters, I like the more ambient sound, instead of music immediately blasting out.

No, I like it.

The music being bad is just like, your opinion, man!