Ret pally too strong lol

I was just testing my ret pally new rotation and talents and god damn is Execution sentence strong as sh**. I had one crit for 23k in PVP which is literally a one shot. I do not see this sticking around long.

To be fair, ES is an outlier, especially because of its strong synergy with Seraphim and Final Reckoning. It needs tuning badly before we get hit with the nerf bat universally.

It’s also not nearly as strong at 60. Keep in mind we have azerite gear and higher secondary stats like mastery at 50 right now than people have at 60 in starter gear. Other classes have just as high or more burst (eg Marks hunters - and they’re ranged!), so I don’t think it necessarily needs changed much.
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VarabenGaming

#RETPRESENT

Execution Sentence is one of the few pvp tools Paladin's desperately needed to stay competitive compared to other, more mobile and flexible melee dps. With our poor range and speed, it allows us to put pressure on a target attempting to flee from us when we pop wings.

I hope it doesn't get undertuned because our azerite stacks are overcompensating!

Quote Originally Posted by treekush View Post
    I was just testing my ret pally new rotation and talents and god damn is Execution sentence strong as sh**. I had one crit for 23k in PVP which is literally a one shot. I do not see this sticking around long.
    Warlock says hello

Quote Originally Posted by Celvira View Post
    Execution Sentence is one of the few pvp tools Paladin's desperately needed to stay competitive compared to other, more mobile and flexible melee dps. With our poor range and speed, it allows us to put pressure on a target attempting to flee from us when we pop wings.

I hope it doesn't get undertuned because our azerite stacks are overcompensating!
    I was watching the Allcraft podcast where they had like 4-5 of the top 10 ret paladin arena players on. Basically all of them said the same thing: Damage was the last thing they wanted. Mobility, survivability, and counterplay to CC were what was actually asked for.

But blizzard gave damage. Wooooo....... way to miss the point Blizz.

And the greatest fear expressed by the arena players was that people will see the damage and overreact, and Blizz will nerf it. Putting rets back in the hole they were in before now.

Thing is, it's a bit like Touch of Karma in that it hits hard but actually fairly easy to counter if you don't just keep tunneling the Paladin. Hard CC the Paladin, kite away to keep them from attacking, or pop a defensive, and that ES doesn't hit nearly as much. If you keep letting them wail at you with that hammer slowly falling (which has a fairly noticeable graphic too), you're gonna get rightfully popped.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I was watching the Allcraft podcast where they had like 4-5 of the top 10 ret paladin arena players on. Basically all of them said the same thing: Damage was the last thing they wanted. Mobility, survivability, and counterplay to CC were what was actually asked for.

But blizzard gave damage. Wooooo....... way to miss the point Blizz.

And the greatest fear expressed by the arena players was that people will see the damage and overreact, and Blizz will nerf it. Putting rets back in the hole they were in before now.

Yeah I'm legitimately worried this is the case too. Wrath 2.0 Divine Storm PTSD lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackishi View Post
    Thing is, it's a bit like Touch of Karma in that it hits hard but actually fairly easy to counter if you don't just keep tunneling the Paladin. Hard CC the Paladin, kite away to keep them from attacking, or pop a defensive, and that ES doesn't hit nearly as much. If you keep letting them wail at you with that hammer slowly falling (which has a fairly noticeable graphic too), you're gonna get rightfully popped.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I'm legitimately worried this is the case too. Wrath 2.0 Divine Storm PTSD lol.
    Oh my god the pre patch divine storm that did holy damage (ignored armor). Those last few weeks of raiding were so fun lol.
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VarabenGaming

#RETPRESENT

Quote Originally Posted by Jackishi View Post
    This. It extremely easy to counter. Most people just seem to have forgotten how to pvp because their corruption played the game for them. Im more worried about word of glory getting nerfed. The self healing is amazing, but we aren't alone in that aspect. So many classes are over tuned at the moment. I've had some really good duels with people who were of equal or lesser gear with my 111 ret paladin, some I won some I lost, but they were close and went back and forth, then there have been duels where I wrecked playes in full mythic gear because they have no idea how to actually play their class.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    This. It extremely easy to counter. Most people just seem to have forgotten how to pvp because their corruption played the game for them. Im more worried about word of glory getting nerfed. The self healing is amazing, but we aren't alone in that aspect. So many classes are over tuned at the moment. I've had some really good duels with people who were of equal or lesser gear with my 111 ret paladin, some I won some I lost, but they were close and went back and forth, then there have been duels where I wrecked playes in full mythic gear because they have no idea how to actually play their class.
    That sounds like how it should be? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by treekush View Post
    So you tested an ability in designed to scale for endgame level 60, at level 50 in pvp, it crit for 23k and you believe this is overpowered?

Paladin are by far the easiest class to counter in the game. This ability is NOT a concern for a class that has no snare and no reliable means of gap closure outside of nightfae.

I urge you to test numbers on a decent level 50nshadow priest and share those recount logs here .

Go look at parses and then tell me that. Ret is borderline on the back group.
    ES is dispellable and predictable (pop defensive) and the Ret is very kiteable and CC'able.
    Also, it's pre-patch not 60. It doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-10-20 at 03:50 AM.

I'm still astounded that we haven't got Long Arm of the Law back as a pvp talent. The other plate wearers have options - DK can grip and snare to close gaps, Warrior has always had godly mobility (and they even got Shattering Throw back!)

Ret hasn't really gotten anything added to their kit beyond Blessing of Sacrifice, which is helpful, but still does little to address our primary flaws of being immobile and easily locked down.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems OP in a vacuum, but hunters can easily take half your hp out of stealth with a single aimed shot, most classes has something like ES

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Go look at parses and then tell me that. Ret is borderline on the back group.
    ES is dispellable and predictable (pop defensive) and the Ret is very kiteable and CC'able.
    Also, it's pre-patch not 60. It doesn't matter.
    Just a side note, Execution Sentence cannot be dispelled. This is due to the change in MoP where talented abilities could not be dispelled. In Cata Execution Sentence could be dispelled but it was a baseline ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Oh and this thread will be about whatever I please. Don't make me turn this bitch into a Spiderman thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennegadelawlz View Post
    Just a side note, Execution Sentence cannot be dispelled. This is due to the change in MoP where talented abilities could not be dispelled. In Cata Execution Sentence could be dispelled but it was a baseline ability.
    Execution sentence was added in MoP as the 90 talent, it never existed in Cata

Quote Originally Posted by Rennegadelawlz View Post
    I heard it could on beta as well. But i guess they fixed it. Thanks for the repair.