Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

Negative nancies

EDIT: Eh, let the thread die then. I get where people are coming from and I don't completely agree but there's no point in continuing to argue about something as unnecessary as this. In the future I will be more careful with my words since people reasonably think I sound arrogant and misinformed. Sorry!

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

-Evelyn Beatrice Hall,
    Friends of Voltaire

I don't even play right now and I have a better attitude about World of Warcraft than a seemingly large amount of people in the community. I understand being wary of Blizzard given their track record, but the negativity I've seen across the internet is ridiculous to me. If something isn't meant to complain about some aspect of the game then there are replies that make it negative. I hardly see constructive discussion and when I do, it seemingly goes largely ignored compared to the torrent of complaints.

Old Edit: Imagine gatekeeping discussion about a video game in 2020. Especially one with as much coverage as World of Warcraft. I didn't think to add "You have no place to talk if you don't currently play the game" in my list of expected responses, updated it though! The people that replied in that manner are ridiculous in my opinion.

Let me clarify my point, because I have a habit of typing unnecessarily long-winded posts that possibly detract from the meaning I am trying to convey: While I certainly think it would be nice to see more positivity on this website regarding World of Warcraft, I understand 100% why people feel negative feelings towards the game and they have every right to discuss it on the internet. But the amount of snide remarks that do nothing but perpetuate the vitriolic attitude of many posters (or a vocal minority) on MMO-C and beyond is tiresome to me. And hence I ask the question: Is there no way this community can hash out discussions without constantly being at eachother's throats? Based on some of the replies I've gotten on this thread, I'd say it's unlikely.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2020-10-18 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the most toxic place on the web!
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

15+ Year Old Account
    "Why are people complaining about a terrible expansion and a broken prepatch???????"

The world may never know

OP, you messed up. You will now read essays in replies berating you and explaining how you are a bad human being for not being negative about the game, and why you should be negative instead, and how it's good for the game to be negative.

On another note, my personal favorite "criticism" of the recent time is "who asked for this"...implying that things have to be asked for by a group of players in order to make their way to the game. True beauty of gamer entitlement at its best
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

So are people not allowed to give negative feedback on things they dont like? Or are you a "Negative Nancy" by your definition then?

Things are like this in real life too, people less happy about something are more prone to talk about it than those who are not.

Its nothing new and unique to MMO-C or even WoW.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    "Why are people complaining about a terrible expansion and a broken prepatch???????"

The world may never know
    Nice, the thread went one post without someone demonstrating my point! Not too bad if I do say so myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    Nice, the thread went one post without someone demonstrating my point! Not too bad if I do say so myself.
    But you havent argued WHY people should stop being negative nancies

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    Welcome to the most toxic place on the web!
    Please, apart from rampant low effort trolls and people insistently doing that adolescent thing where they quote each statement separately in their reply, this place is better than majority discussion boards on the web.

OT: I think having a negative outlook by default is a much more prudent approach. Far better than being naïve optimist.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly positive I'll withhold judgement on the newest Expansion until it's live and I have a chance to play it.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Sadly it's just an indication of the state of society nowadays where it's incredibly easy to be negative but seemingly impossible to be positive and it happens across any social media and in any game and as developers you have to deal with the cesspit of hate on a daily basis when trying to make a game better for said haters. Blizzard delayed a game to have it even better for release and it seemed the majority of comments where negative and people wonder why developers don't really listen to the "community".

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I mean, it IS the internet after all.
    There are some negative things that are legit, objectives things (like the patch day login issues yesterday, which prevented a lot of people from logging in).

Be the change you want to see in the world.
    Exude the positivity and flip the script when people complain.
    That, or hire Butters to scrub the internet for you and provide you a printed form of the positive comments.
    Yes, I'm aware this reference is dated, but it's still goddamn hilarious.

But you havent argued WHY people should stop being negative nancies
    Why don't you start and explain why people are negative nancies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    Why don't you start and explain why people are negative nancies.
    Well like i posted earlier, most people are very unhappy with bfa and some people are stuck at black character screens in prepatch. There are tons of detailed threads on this and many other forums you can read over from the last 2 years

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    OP, you messed up. You will now read essays in replies berating you and explaining how you are a bad human being for not being negative about the game, and why you should be negative instead, and how it's good for the game to be negative.

On another note, my personal favorite "criticism" of the recent time is "who asked for this"...implying that things have to be asked for by a group of players in order to make their way to the game. True beauty of gamer entitlement at its best
    this ^^ its one of my main peeves with Asmongold right now as he proliferates this attitude to his chat, they eat it up and now expect everything in a game to be something the players wanted thru asking for it, if it wasnt asked for, dont put it in...ridiculous

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post
    So are people not allowed to give negative feedback on things they dont like? Or are you a "Negative Nancy" by your definition then?

Things are like this in real life too, people less happy about something are more prone to talk about it than those who are not.

Its nothing new and unique to MMO-C or even WoW.
    And you're the person who didn't read or understand what I said! Lol I understand why people have grown way of Blizzard and the trajectory Warcraft is on, and I would never try to take away peoples' right to complain.

Threads are often either negative in essence or are turned negative by someone who can't handle another person's opinion, or are so miserable they have to reply in a negative manner. Yeah it's nothing new but that doesn't mean it's something we should blatantly accept without trying to counterbalance the negativity with positivity, or at least constructive discussion rather constant complaints and arguments.

Well like i posted earlier, most people are very unhappy with bfa and some people are stuck at black character screens in prepatch. There are tons of detailed threads on this and many other forums you can read over from the last 2 years
    People have been overly negative towards WOW long before BFA and long before issues that only came about in the last 5 or 6 hours and will continue to be overly negative well into SL and beyond regardless of how good or bad WOW is.

Do you know what I do with a game if I feel it's that bad I have to spend my life being negative about it? take a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    And you're the person who didn't read or understand what I said! Lol I understand why people have grown way of Blizzard and the trajectory Warcraft is on, and I would never try to take away peoples' right to complain.

Threads are often either negative in essence or are turned negative by someone who can't handle another person's opinion, or are so miserable they have to reply in a negative manner. Yeah it's nothing new but that doesn't mean it's something we should blatantly accept without trying to counterbalance the negativity with positivity, or at least constructive discussion rather constant complaints and arguments.
    Then I suggest you dont look at the threads you see as negative, just scroll by.

And there are A LOT of people on this website that cant handle other peoples opinions, you'll get used to it.
    I agree that there could be some more positivity around here, but different opinions and that stuff comes in the way.

3+ Year Old Account
    Did those people attempt to report the issue through the proper channels, giving constructive and objective feedback to the developers? Or did they take to the forums in anger, calling the expansion DOA and Blizzard is the worst ever?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with Activision-Blizzard, I personally think they're on some real greedy Machiavellian-type shit. But if you take a look at my post history, you'll see it's mostly coming from the perspective of someone wanting a game they grew up with to succeed and reverse the downward trend it has been on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post
    Then I suggest you dont look at the threads you see as negative, just scroll by.

And there are A LOT of people on this website that cant handle other peoples opinions, you'll get used to it.
    I agree that there could be some more positivity around here, but different opinions and that stuff comes in the way.
    Well I'm in agreement with you there! I appreciate the mature discourse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    People have been overly negative towards WOW long before BFA and long before issues that only came about in the last 5 or 6 hours and will continue to be overly negative well into SL and beyond regardless of how good or bad WOW is.

Do you know what I do with a game if I feel it's that bad I have to spend my life being negative about it? take a guess.
    I mean were just gonna go in circles on this. You can stay in the if you dont like it quit camp, and i will stay in the if you dont like it its ok to discuss it camp