Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Well...level in BfA with heirlooms instead of Azerite armor. There you go.

  2. #22
    Just take off your armour, or if you want to mog, just keep your first green quest reward for each slot.

  3. #23
    I took a break from retail at the end of BFA and went to classic.
    I know some of you don't like classic but there are many who enjoy both games.

    Yesterday I started leveling a new toon with the pre-patch. I got my heirlooms and it's just ridiculous how easy it is.
    But maybe it's just because I got used to classic for a while, I don't know. Or maybe I should just take my heirlooms off, but I think that would just feel awkward.

    In my opinion, heirlooms don't make sense anymore. And I don't mean the lack of extra XP, I agree with that because leveling a new toon only takes about 10-15hrs anyway. I mean they are only there, now, to make you not need any gear you get while leveling, neglecting a really fun aspect of the process.

    Unless, of course, you just want to get to max lvl as fast as possible and really don't care about any of this. This would still be possible to do, if you wanted to, without the heirlooms and just by accepting quest rewards (tuned to fill in all your gear slots).

    In any case, it was just an idea that I think I would enjoy.

  4. #24
    heirlooms are already completly usless . they should remove them from game and return all the gold blizzard stolen from players by nerfing heirlooms.

  5. #25
    Bloodsail Admiral czarek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    zug zug
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Keilvog View Post
    Changes to make this cooler/more practical:
    • New really good looking badass gear sets (you could costumize part of it, like choosing the color) - no more old school repetitive sets.
    • A set is a whole piece (one item includes all gear slots) - you don't need to collect them all
    • You decide at lvl 1 if you want to do it heirloom style (you can hop off whenever you want but won't be able to hop back in)

    Set "curses":
    • No passive hp regen and very low mana regen (you can only heal through spells, potions, food, talents, first aid(?))
    • -25% stamina
    • No flying.
    • -50% xp rate (~20hr game time instead of 10hr).
    • Increased agro radius from hostile mobs, maybe (because you look badass).

    Rewards:
    • No gear from quests/dungeons (because your full set lvls up with you) but 300% increased gold income.
    • No durability loss.
    • Achievements for lvl 20, 40 and max lvl.
    • Title reward for max lvl (class specific).
    • Unlocks full set cosmetics at max lvl (like challenge mode in pandaria).
    • Achievement to do it without dying.
    • At max lvl you earn a battle chest with significant resources useful for the latest content, including any currency, prof mats, gold and one random epic weapon of decent iLvl).

    Consequences:
    Non heirloom lvling will have gearing up excitement (can just do it through quest rewards and be alright but dungeons give great stuff)
    No real change to those who don't care about this

    Exciting new way to lvl up for those who love to do it.
    Great cosmetics to show off your effort.
    Challenging leveling experience that makes you want to consider all game mechanics (all your abilities and professions)
    Early food buffs could provide minor out of combat healing
    People could cheese it but it doesn't matter because it's just cosmetic stuff
    New full sets could be added in the future (randomly dropping from world content) which you could unlock the cosmetics if you lvled a new toon with it.

    What do you think?
    Heirloom defeinition - a valuable object that has been given by older members of a family to younger members of the same family over many years. Thats huge missundestanding man.

    You want just a hard mode. Simple thing go lvl up without gear or with just common items. GL HF cheers.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    The 'no flying' part would make completing a lot of old quests strictly impossible which effectively puts a stop to the cohesive leveling goal they just tried to complete recently. There's also a problem with dungeons: does the de-buff go away and is invalidated if you do dungeons at all (thereby negating any prestige such a challenge has), or are all leveling people who are in the dungeon queues just going to be randomly subjected to having these arbitrarily weaker party members who are apparently also going to be pulling a ton more trash? Without durability loss, this seems rife for exploitation and griefing in terms of people queueing up just to aggro entire dungeons and wipe the rest of a party who doesn't have the durability protection. You would have to restrict dungeons to manually-formed groups for those cursed players at LEAST. And some kind of very slow fly alternative so that people could actually complete the quests they need to specifically for those quests -- otherwise the slow mount would be used to go over all threats in the world, also lessening the challenge.
    Those are fair points.
    The very slow flying mount is a great idea, just so you could get to those quest points that you couldn't otherwise. But I still think 'no flying' would be better as you would never be able to skip by harder zones. Maybe those quest locations would just get a 'taxi' service instead.
    The dungeon part would be tricky. I do think that heirloom guys could just be limited to finding groups manually like old days. Or having queues for themselves only.

  7. #27
    I've read this, I've taken time to reflect, talk to my friends about it and after laughing for several minutes we all agree that would be awful. People paid for heirlooms to help them level and level faster. Because they did it several times and wanted to get through it. Heirlooms used to be like 30k to fully deck out one piece. So after a few hundred thousand gold, I'm already annoyed by the changes. I'd rather they not then make it more of a pain in the ass.

    I do not understand people's want/need to control how other people play the game. If you want to get excited over leveling gear that's worthless after 10 hours, by all means. Don't use heirlooms. There is no need to change how everyone else plays because you/anyone wants to feel a certain way. New players can enjoy any expansion they want now and I say more power to them, but for people who've been playing 5, 10, 15+ years I don't think it's unreasonable for them to want to get it done and over with. Everyone I talk to, friends and randoms just want to get through the leveling process so they can start the new stuff, it's not Classic WoW where leveling is 90% of the content because all the endgame was done 15+ years ago.

    If you want to add a bunch of new gear that makes leveling a pain in the ass, do that. But please just lave the ones that are in alone. We already had our exp buffs removed and replaced with rested exp extension which does nothing for new characters unless you make one and let it sit a week before playing it.
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    Heirloom defeinition - a valuable object that has been given by older members of a family to younger members of the same family over many years. Thats huge missundestanding man.
    I guess family can leave cursed items behind, no?
    They are still stronger than most items you get while leveling, plus they lvl up with you. So it would be a trade off - more power (output) for a harder time.
    So, your point is highly subjective.

  9. #29
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Keilvog View Post
    I guess family can leave cursed items behind, no?
    They are still stronger than most items you get while leveling, plus they lvl up with you. So it would be a trade off - more power (output) for a harder time.
    So, your point is highly subjective.
    except the heirlooms you're proposing are cursed. the current ones are fine. nobody wants levelling to be a chore. if you want a harder time levelling, either level with no heirlooms or level in classic

  10. #30
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,456
    just make a NG+ that scales everything with Mythic+ scaling system that you choose.

  11. #31
    Bloodsail Admiral czarek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    zug zug
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    except the heirlooms you're proposing are cursed. the current ones are fine. nobody wants levelling to be a chore. if you want a harder time levelling, either level with no heirlooms or level in classic
    Cursed like corrupted. That sounds familiar haha.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuggsy View Post
    I've read this, I've taken time to reflect, talk to my friends about it and after laughing for several minutes we all agree that would be awful. People paid for heirlooms to help them level and level faster. Because they did it several times and wanted to get through it. Heirlooms used to be like 30k to fully deck out one piece. So after a few hundred thousand gold, I'm already annoyed by the changes. I'd rather they not then make it more of a pain in the ass.
    If you want to add a bunch of new gear that makes leveling a pain in the ass, do that. But please just lave the ones that are in alone. We already had our exp buffs removed and replaced with rested exp extension which does nothing for new characters unless you make one and let it sit a week before playing it.
    I see your point and it's a fair point, despite the hostility.
    Lvling from 1 to 120 took what? 40-50 hours? even with heirlooms. It now takes 10-15 hours. It wouldn't make any sense for heirlooms to stay the same. I agree with blizzard on that one (even though I think the new set bonuses are dull and mostly useless).
    You are very upset because you lost your money... these days you can farm 30k gold in what? 2 days? I haven't really felt the real need for gold since like MoP or even before that. So I don't care about those 30k. But hell, they could just refund that and everyone would be happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuggsy View Post
    I do not understand people's want/need to control how other people play the game. If you want to get excited over leveling gear that's worthless after 10 hours, by all means. Don't use heirlooms. There is no need to change how everyone else plays because you/anyone wants to feel a certain way. New players can enjoy any expansion they want now and I say more power to them, but for people who've been playing 5, 10, 15+ years I don't think it's unreasonable for them to want to get it done and over with. Everyone I talk to, friends and randoms just want to get through the leveling process so they can start the new stuff, it's not Classic WoW where leveling is 90% of the content because all the endgame was done 15+ years ago.
    Again, the idea wouldn't change the leveling experience for those who don't care about it. So you don't have to get all upset about it.
    It would just add an extra way of doing things for those who would like to. I have played this game since TBC and I still like to level up a toon from time to time. It's relaxing to me and it can be engaging. I'm sure there are others who think the same way.

    In any case, the rewards would be cosmetic only. And again, whoever dislikes the idea could just level like they always do, so no hurt done there. You could even keep your useless old heirlooms and just add new ones for this content, sure. Give them some other name maybe, so no extra tears would be shed.
    Last edited by Keilvog; 2020-10-15 at 10:06 AM.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    you want levelling to be harder? go play Classic
    *slower you mean lol

  14. #34
    The Lightbringer Nordheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Nordics
    Posts
    3,152
    What if we dont?

    Or, they can add a new heirloom set that does just that, for those that wants it. Instead of changing what we already have.

  15. #35
    Sure it is unpopular opinion that leveling is messed up now. It has been for quite a while. Like before someone said, you could until now just start an alt to... just level up an alt. You might have done it numerous times before, but none of that matters. Nothing you do while leveling might not matter. Yet, it was still playing a game and spending time not trying to do some end game content. Just to pass time. This is the most difficult part for people to understand.

    Id be perfectly fine, if leveling is really fast with like heirlooms, but why cant it stay there. Until now it was like 30-50h thing. Now I have played a new alt for a few hours and I'm halfway done with leveling. This is not fun. Like I'm playing on some easy mode (read fast mode) and its the only option that exists. If blizz thought leveling took too long then have an option for it. Reduce it slightly and give heirlooms or some buffs that allow people who want it over quickly be done with it.

    Now I can't enjoy it anymore because there is no way to take off the quick xp mode, which was possible before by not simply equiping heirlooms.


    And no, I want to play retail and not classic.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Sure it is unpopular opinion that leveling is messed up now. It has been for quite a while. Like before someone said, you could until now just start an alt to... just level up an alt. You might have done it numerous times before, but none of that matters. Nothing you do while leveling might not matter. Yet, it was still playing a game and spending time not trying to do some end game content. Just to pass time. This is the most difficult part for people to understand.

    Id be perfectly fine, if leveling is really fast with like heirlooms, but why cant it stay there. Until now it was like 30-50h thing. Now I have played a new alt for a few hours and I'm halfway done with leveling. This is not fun. Like I'm playing on some easy mode (read fast mode) and its the only option that exists. If blizz thought leveling took too long then have an option for it. Reduce it slightly and give heirlooms or some buffs that allow people who want it over quickly be done with it.

    Now I can't enjoy it anymore because there is no way to take off the quick xp mode, which was possible before by not simply equiping heirlooms.


    And no, I want to play retail and not classic.
    Finally someone who agrees that leveling a character is actually fun by itself. Or was.
    For me, the ideal time for leveling a new character to max level should be around 20-30hr playtime. Not as much as before, but not as fast as it is.
    Still, I can live with that. My main issue is how easy it is to kill a mob or 25 mobs for that matter. It's really really hard to... fail.

    I started off with a hunter, I 2-shot every mob before they even get to me. It's too much. I'd rather take 10-20 seconds to kill it and be awarded more xp instead (so the total xp gain would be the same).

    PS: Regardless of what you said. You should really consider trying out classic. I personally love it. Just as I love retail (most of the time).

  17. #37
    While I don't necessarily agree with the OP's EXACT approach, I actually do think there's something very cool about this idea.

    Sort of having Heirlooms as a "Hard Mode" for leveling, but perhaps greatly speeding up how much XP you get? Kind of like Difficulty settings in Diablo 3.

    As someone who honestly HATES leveling, because it's so tedious, that's honestly a really awesome idea in my mind. Being able to push myself to mastering a class sooner, and thus leveling a LOT quicker, but at the expense of making every single mob and quest brutally difficult.

    The easiest way to implement this could just be "each Heirloom you equip makes all enemies scale 1 level higher than you, but awarding twice as much XP (doesn't apply to quests)"? Something like that, maybe?

  18. #38
    Banned Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The one and only, Evolving Azeroth! (and Sweden)
    Posts
    27,358
    If I want a challenge, I'll raid Mythic or play a different game altogether. And no, not Classic, that's laughable at best. Not sure how anyone can consider its leveling a challenge in this day and age.

    People spent a lot of gold and time on getting heirlooms to make leveling faster. If you want leveling to be "challenging", do the Iron Man.

  19. #39
    I love the idea of new introduced heirlooms that make it harder, but like most hard modes, it needs to offer incentive.

    Mounts, achievements, cosmetics, etc... at different stages of the difficulty kinda like how corruption hits new negative abilities at X #

  20. #40
    The idea of some sort of "hard mode" is pretty cool IMO. Especially the aspect of leveling to max without dying (assuming leveling has a disk of dying unlike today). I'm not sure tying it to an heirloom is the best way to go about hmmm. Either way pretty cool idea!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •