Are RTX shadows disabled for anyone else?

Finally had a chance to login to the pre-patch and wanted to try out the new ray traced shadows but they are disabled despite having latest drivers and a 2070s. Are they disabled for anyone else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure you do a clean install of the latest driver.

Thank you ElyPop for the sig!

You also need Windows 10 Build 2004. I think the biggest issue is that many have either still an older windows like 7 or even 8.1 or an old version of windows 10
    Last edited by Velerios; 2020-10-15 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    You also need Windows 10 Build 2004. I think the biggest issue is that many have either still an older windows like 7 or even 8.1 or an old version of windows 10
    If people dont upgrade their Windows regularly, then they really should or a lot of things wont work for them.

Just type winver in your search-field down at the start-button and you'll be able to see which version you're on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post
    If people dont upgrade their Windows regularly, then they really should or a lot of things wont work for them.

Just type winver in your search-field down at the start-button and you'll be able to see which version you're on.
    Latest Drivers. Latest Windows Update on 64 Bit W10. Still Marked Out.

Everyone I know is experiencing it as well. It is a bug because I have seen people on streams and such get it working.

That being said, the setting barely changes anything, it is easily not worth it to enable.

The option is available for me, I have an RTX 3080 and the latest version of Windows 10.
    However, I do not see any difference between the regular shadows and ray-traced ones. I do lose about 10 fps from disabled to high ray traced shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by n0n3 View Post
    The option is available for me, I have an RTX 3080 and the latest version of Windows 10.
    However, I do not see any difference between the regular shadows and ray-traced ones. I do lose about 10 fps from disabled to high ray traced shadows.
    Thats because its barely noticeable. Its working, you just have to go look for where. Character faces is a good spot, campfires casting character shadows on walls is another.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a 3080 RTX and play 4k max settings.
    RTX in Wow is just nonsense.
    When i disable it i have ~120 fps.
    When i set RTX on high i have ~45 fps but don't see much change.
    When i set (normal) shadows on ultra instead of ultra high with high rtx i get 70 fps but alot of drops in busy zones.

I see almost no visual difference and for me ultra high shadows is beter then ultra shadows with any of the rtx options.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by n0n3 View Post
    There are comparison shots, one of the staples is when using stuff like the frost mage magetower appearance, which is rather intricate and throws a complex shadow. But at the end of the day ray tracing in WoW is simply a few shadows and not really worth it for the performance hit you get from it. Frankly WoW has nowhere near the graphical fidelity to make ray tracing worth it imho.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    go to ur startmenu and right click into the icon and click "search" and search for "windows update" and choose the number 2 option "check for updates" and update ur windows 10 to the latest patch.

I have a RTX-card myself, but WoW is probably the last game I would expect have RTX-features in it, it feels weird to apply those features to a game from 2004.

Got some huge FPS drops with testing the RTX setting.

Tested it in a dungeon with 10900k@5.3GHz + 4500MHz RAM + 2070-S in 1080p, without 390-400 fps, with 200-220 fps.
    Turing does take a huge hit with it.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Got some huge FPS drops with testing the RTX setting.

Tested it in a dungeon with 10900k@5.3GHz + 4500MHz RAM + 2070-S in 1080p, without 390-400 fps, with 200-220 fps.
    Turing does take a huge hit with it.
    You should probably sync your framerate to your monitors refresh-rate to ensure your gfx-card doesnt run too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post
    You should probably sync your framerate to your monitors refresh-rate to ensure your gfx-card doesnt run too hot.
    Its a 7nm TSMC turing GPU, there is no such thing as running to hot with them. The coolers are oversized the wattage is low.

The GPU fans are not even running (sub 50°C) while playing WoW.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Its a 7nm TSMC turing GPU, there is no such thing as running to hot with them. The coolers are oversized the wattage is low.

The GPU fans are not even running (sub 50°C) while playing WoW.
    I know the specs of it, its just a basic recommendation to prolong the lifetime of your graphics card.

I can have my framerate uncapped also, but my 2080 ti believes its an airplane for some reason so I cap it at 100.

The only issue I would have with uncapped FPS is coil whine, but since I use the MSI 2070-S there is no coil whine with that, the main reason why I even choose this AIB model in the first place.
    -

Newsflash, the turings were and are hot garbage, only tech illiterates bought them.

The amperes are the true successor to the pascal series.

I’ll be sure to not worry about it then. Seems either poorly implemented or just not worth the fps loss.

Thanks.