Ret pally player new to pre patch

Hi all. First time posting so please bear with me if I say anything a bit dim or silly.

So paladin has been my main for years now, but I've been grinding out alts like it's going out of fashion and as such haven't really kept up to speed with all the pally changes and what I need to be speccing in for ret. I finally got WoW running yesterday and all my addons working after the pre patch update and picked a bunch of talents which I though were decent. Since then I've spent a bit of time smashing the target dummies and can see that I'm peaking at around 1.7-2k dps on the details damage meter. Watching videos of other guys playing ret pally since pre patch, some are regularly hitting 9k dps. Has anyone get any decent advice for me? I wanted to concentrate on my pally through SL's as my main but I want to get things right first and get to grips with rotations and things but I can't see where I've gone wrong.

For information, in BFA my gear level was 461, which has translated into 115 in pre patch.
    Talents I currently have are: RV tier 1, BoW tier 2, FoJ tier 3, US tier 4, HA tier 5, SH tier 6, Crusade tier 7.

It's worth noting that Azerite abilities still function and likely still play a huge role in our damage still. But without seeing things like logs and traits, its hard to gauge where you can improve.

As a slight suggestion, I would consider switching Holy Avenger to Divine Purpose. Divine Purpose synergizes with Righteous Verdict very well, and Holy Avenger is a bit awkward to play with due its 3min CD not lining up with wings.

Oh wow who is doing 9k on live right now? We can burst hard but not sustained like that.

My opinion is don’t worry about your dps in prepatch. As the above poster mentioned, you’re running azerite traits which probably impact you like lights dawn and empyrean power and hopefully vision of perfection. All these things are going away (except Emp power is a talent), so you’re playing with a “stacked deck” anyway.
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpj...XQlp6XtDv9Uk4Q

#RETPRESENT

Replace your Ret Azerite armor with Prot and remove stat boosting traits - or just remove all traits and corruptions. Wallah! Ret not propped up by borrowed power. The horror. The horror.

Quote Originally Posted by VainEldritch View Post
    Replace your Ret Azerite armor with Prot and remove stat boosting traits - or just remove all traits and corruptions. Wallah! Ret not propped up by borrowed power. The horror. The horror.
    I have a dream. That one day Vision of Perfection will be baseline for Ret.
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpj...XQlp6XtDv9Uk4Q

#RETPRESENT

That would be awful. Relying on random proc uptime for decent damage is terrible gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    That would be awful. Relying on random proc uptime for decent damage is terrible gameplay.
    I hear you, but it is pretty reliable in BFa in my experience. RNG gameplay can screw you, but it’s a part of the game and always has been.

#RETPRESENT