Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    *Points to FF14, ESO and SWtOR*

It is kind of possible I'd say. Plus, I think I heard something about them working on something in 8.2 but I can't confirm it
    ESO and SWTOR are not really "successful" speaking both were forced to go free to play with tons of microtransactions and gacha loot crates.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Be a good way to make professions great again... Lol jk they will still suck
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Free realestate

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    why do devs waste time on whatever garbage you like? its boring af and it should never happen.
    Player housing is actually a waste of time though. It can only hurt the game, look at garrisons. The overwhelming majority of players disliked it, and even if the players did like it, it completely is counter intuitive to an mmo. A system that basically rewards you for not being out with other players and confining yourself to your own little space is not good for an mmo.

Player housing is more for single player games

10+ Year Old Account
    Waste of development time is keep creating system over systems and trying to balance shit from scratch every single Raid Tier

Housing is something fun that after being implemented wont spend nearly as much time on development, cause props are already made every single xpac.

I'm pretty sure A LOT of players from other MMOs would migrate to WoW if the housing system was done well. (like Wildstar)

Quote Originally Posted by pharma View Post
    Waste of development time is keep creating system over systems and trying to balance shit from scratch every single Raid Tier

Housing is something fun that after being implemented wont spend nearly as much time on development, cause props are already made every single xpac.

I'm pretty sure A LOT of players from other MMOs would migrate to WoW if the housing system was done well. (like Wildstar)
    I agree with the systems that waste a lot of time, but I have to ask, what do you think 'good' player housing in wow looks like? And what do you think the actual benefit is to it? They tried this in WoD and people literally left because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD wasnt housing

Housing is giving the players to decorate and build their plots of landing the way they want... Not pre built buildings and no choice in decoration at all.

I understand hardcore players dont give a shit about this, but at least they should understand that not everyone that plays WoW is skilled and aims to be top players. Some just enjoy fantasize with the world and story, and even we all got great customization for our characters now, the game still lack individual personality and customization besides character visual aspect.

Any and all people who want player housing are wrong and should just go play the sims or my little pony.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Is a crap game.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    ESO and SWTOR are not really "successful" speaking both were forced to go free to play with tons of microtransactions and gacha loot crates.
    That's pretty disingenuous.

Neither ESO nor SWTOR were sufficiently successful for Zenimax and EA (respectively) as subscription-based games. But both sold extremely well. SWTOR sold so well, that even if it's dev and marketing costs were the $200m that was rumoured (and seems plausible, given WoW was $100m, years before), it made all that back and then some (yeah even accounting for retail cut etc. - I forget the exact math but it was discussed a lot back then), because it was more expensive than normal games then, and sold better (and many of the sales were direct from EA).

That's pretty successful. But they couldn't convince people to stay subbed. After 2006 or so and until FFXIV really no game has managed to convince terribly many people to stay subbed, no matter how good the initial sales. Pretty much all of them trailed off over 6-12 months. I think Rift maybe lasted a little longer but not much.

And when SWTOR went F2P, it made ridiculous amounts of money for a very long time. I forget the amount, but it was crazy, and it was a mixture of subs and MTX. I dunno about ESO but it seems to be doing good, given the sheer amount of content they're making for it.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    Player housing is actually a waste of time though. It can only hurt the game, look at garrisons. The overwhelming majority of players disliked it, and even if the players did like it, it completely is counter intuitive to an mmo. A system that basically rewards you for not being out with other players and confining yourself to your own little space is not good for an mmo.

Player housing is more for single player games
    im not sure why people always seem to go back to the argument "we already had player housing, look at the failure that was garrisons!". they were not. they were not even in the same vein as player housing. literally the only thing that could be considered even remotely close to player housing as far as garrisons went would be... that.. i guess they were phased? and not very well, i might add. garrisons were literally nothing but a base of operations for the expansion. there is an EXTREMELY large difference.

player housing does not reward you for not being out with players, because again... garrisons were not housing. in fact, if anything, it usually costs you gold/whatever currency the game uses. that is actually considered the complete opposite of a reward, other than the satisfaction of a job well done, if you did so.

out with other players and confining yourself to your own little space is not good for an mmo.
    this line in particular i see people try to use as an excuse fairly often. heres the big problem with that. if said players want to be confined in their own little space anyway, theres a VERY large chance they already werent in a major city, and if they were, they probably werent talking. if they were planning on leaving the city and doing something they would, and hear me out now.... leave their house and do something. which would effectively, oddly enough, put them back out in the world with these other players that honestly many people dont seem too thrilled to run into anyway. they stole my mob and now i have to wait for it to respawn, after all. or my mining node, those bastards. those scumbags just took my herb, i was in the middle of looting it and it despawned!

dont get me wrong, i like running into people from time to time, but 99% of the time why even bother? even if you say something they dont respond, so its basically just like npcs running around anyway. nothing you do to the game will change that, since its the people, not the game.

id also like to know, what benefit is there from an extra person in a town that is already cross realmed and has 50+ people in it usually? are you talking to them all? im sure as heck not. thats way too many people for me to feel comfortable enough to talk. more people doesnt mean anything except more clutter in main cities at this point with cross realms, phasing, layering, whatever its being called these days.

Player housing would only be cool if there was an economy behind it.

Just having it be free house with free decorations would be boring, even if the decor came from achievements or drops.

im not sure why people always seem to go back to the argument "we already had player housing, look at the failure that was garrisons!". they were not. they were not even in the same vein as player housing. literally the only thing that could be considered even remotely close to player housing as far as garrisons went would be... that.. i guess they were phased? and not very well, i might add. garrisons were literally nothing but a base of operations for the expansion. there is an EXTREMELY large difference.
    Garrisons were a form of player housing, full stop, end of discussion. Just because it isn't a player housing YOU envisioned or one that YOU didn't like has nothing to do with what it was. It was a form of player housing. Period. That's why people keep bringing it up, because it just doesn't work with WoW.

player housing does not reward you for not being out with players, because again... garrisons were not housing. in fact, if anything, it usually costs you gold/whatever currency the game uses. that is actually considered the complete opposite of a reward, other than the satisfaction of a job well done, if you did so.
    Ok maybe you didn't pay too much attention to garrisons? But garrisons for sure rewarded you for not being out with players. They gave you things like your own profession trainers to enchant stuff for you, and much more. Garrisons were THE way to make money in WoD. Sitting in your garrison for most of the day was the most beneficial way to make money while not really doing much of anything. They gave you materials to farm inside for christ sake, the comment that you had to pay for it with no reward is simply moronic my friend. Maybe you didn't pay too much attention to it back then, who knows.

this line in particular i see people try to use as an excuse fairly often. heres the big problem with that. if said players want to be confined in their own little space anyway, theres a VERY large chance they already werent in a major city, and if they were, they probably werent talking. if they were planning on leaving the city and doing something they would, and hear me out now.... leave their house and do something. which would effectively, oddly enough, put them back out in the world with these other players that honestly many people dont seem too thrilled to run into anyway. they stole my mob and now i have to wait for it to respawn, after all. or my mining node, those bastards. those scumbags just took my herb, i was in the middle of looting it and it despawned!
    None of what I said mentioned that I think it's best for people to be out and talking to people. I said it isn't healthy for an mmo. If I am out questing or farming materials or doing whatever out in the world and it feels completely empty with no one around because everyone is inside their little houses then this makes me not feel like I am playing an mmo. It makes the world dead, which I shouldn't have to explain to you why this is a bad thing for an MMO.

id also like to know, what benefit is there from an extra person in a town that is already cross realmed and has 50+ people in it usually? are you talking to them all? im sure as heck not. thats way too many people for me to feel comfortable enough to talk. more people doesnt mean anything except more clutter in main cities at this point with cross realms, phasing, layering, whatever its being called these days.
    Read above, you misunderstood (somehow) on why it's bad for players to be stuck in their own personal instance in an MMO.

Honestly, what do you think player housing would be if garrison in your book 100% isn't player housing. Tell me, what features and in what way would it be implemented in order for you to call this 'housing' because I bet you they are extremely similar to garrisons.

Garrisons were a form of player housing, full stop, end of discussion.
    well, you lost me. not even worth reading if youre so delusional that you cant get past the fact that garrisons werent player housing.

well, you lost me. not even worth reading if youre so delusional that you cant get past the fact that garrisons werent player housing.
    Lol well it doesn't matter if you respond or not, I'm right. Whether or not you want to accept it is irrelevant. They are a form of housing, just because you dislike it or think it doesn't fit your standards doesn't make it any less so.

Lol well it doesn't matter if you respond or not, I'm right. Whether or not you want to accept it is irrelevant. They are a form of housing, just because you dislike it or think it doesn't fit your standards doesn't make it any less so.
    so is an inn, apparently. it has a bed. must be player housing.

Nope, that's not a personal space for you to customize, much like garrisons are. Go ahead, tell me what you think player housing is, and try super hard not to include anything that garrisons had.

We already had housing. period.

And WoW does not need housing, it needs more social features. There are enough MMOs with housing to choose from, WoW does not need it.
    And the end of Shadowlands is the perfect time for anything the devs want to do. Or probably nothing, because adding yet another world revamp or something like that would obviously strain Blizzard's ressources (assuming SL does not get abandoned like WoD did), considering the current development status.

10+ Year Old Account
    they already did that in WoD didnt work and will never will game is about going out and kill dragons and stuff not staying in 1 place the whole time waiting for a piece of furniture to finish building , theres plenty of waste of time games that have that i mean theres plenty of games out there with player housing out there WOW is not one of em and its better off without it

Still waiting on that list of requirements you need to classify it as housing. It shouldn’t be that hard tbh

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Any and all people who want player housing are wrong and should just go play the sims or my little pony.

Is a crap game.
    A very convincing reasoning, you got me there m8
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.