Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Yes, Legislature works by everything bad that has happned is the GOP fault, or whatever MSNBC is saying.
    Again, another strawman ignoring any and all context.

They had control of all House, Senate, and Executive offices. Yet accomplished near nothing or screwed over Americans.
    They had control, yes. But they did not have a supermajority. And they used that control to pass the ACA, a flawed bill but one that was inarguably a step forward for health care that expanded coverage to millions.

Who says I'm not mad at the GOP? I have been writing my Congressman for the past 5 years to the point I'm probably on some kind of list, and he isn't even going for relection this year.
    Based on your posts here only. As you seem more angry with Democrats than Republicans on the regular.

To quote a great comedian, " It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean. and it takes a long time to get to England in a rowboat". I've been paying attention for nearly half my life, and the Democrats where in control for half of it.
    ...we're talking about the Heroes Act and the Republican rebuttal. Why are you talking about "half your life"?

Do something! As said the GOP has held up the Congress for far less then providing a needed Stimulus to Poor and Struggling Americans.
    Weaponizing suffering to get what you want is not the best way to legislate. It's not even a good way to legislate.

You ever try and consider the option that you maybe wrong about Pelosi and the Democrats? That in reality they care far more about the economic security of the Rich and Elite and that even their social politics seem to favor that of White Rich Suburban Neighborhoods?
    Absolutely! Though I'll take whatever wins we can get for the little guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    I just dispare the one nation on this planet that shouldn't have issues with poverty is the USA.
    Trust me, we do too. And we want to do something about it...a lot of others, sadly, don't.

And yea I get the what the republicans are doing but come on...your a democracy ultimately the buck stops at the voters who put them there. If you keep electing wolves as shepherd's you cant blame them when all your sheep are dead.
    Yep, it's the best worst system of governance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just dispare the one nation on this planet that shouldn't have issues with poverty is the USA.
    You take wealth disparity... then you take how much people like Trump pay in taxes... and uhm... we are broke... our system is based on getting water out of rocks... While people like Trump enjoy a waterfall...

And yea I get the what the republicans are doing but come on...your a democracy ultimately the buck stops at the voters who put them there. If you keep electing wolves as shepherd's you cant blame them when all your sheep are dead.
    3 million more of us voted for Hillary... the system is set up for elite like Trump...

Edit: Like I said earlier... they invented Afluenza, to protect a rich kid that killed someone while drunk driving. The system is simply set up to protect the elite’s power...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    I am refuting the cheer leading and undeserved defense of a party that signed into law things like NAFTA, DOMA, and had no problem bailing out WallStret CEOs but could lift a finger to keep grandma in her home during the recession. When they were too bought off to reinstate the protections that Bill Clinton signed out of law.
    So, literally just stirring the pot for no constructive reason because you don't like the Democrats.

This is why I'm somewhat glad Bernie lost because I cannot imagine how absolutely batshit insane a Sanders administration would be staffed with people like Nina Turner and Talcum X. I would rather have competent milquetoast neoliberalism than incompetent reactionary "progressivism".
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not why it was set up that way. It was set up to give rural voters an equal vote in the electoral colege because they new pure democracies wee just majority rule.
    It was set up specifically to protect the interests of slaveholding agrarian states - said interest being anti-abolition, don't mince words.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not why it was set up that way. It was set up to give rural votes an equal vote in the electoral college because they new pure democracies were just majority rule.
    It was... you are giving the conservative version... it was created because the populace is stupid. Stop repeating GOP talking points...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    It,s been clear to me for awhile you prefer neoliberalism and small tweaks to systemic problems.
    Which isn't actually reflective of my views since what is clear to you isn't reflective of reality - see aforementioned belief that the Democrats had done nothing since the CARES Act. Again, you've admitted your aim here is just to be contrarian simply because you dislike the Democrats and it serves no constructive purpose besides helping sabotage an already tenuous situation.

This might be a novel concept, but someone can care about homelessness and evictions but also think your particular approach for addressing them is fucking stupid. You being in the ethical right about an issue does not make all your opinions relative to it automatically correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Anti-abortion wasn,t a top issue of thiers at the time
    I'm sorry, slavery wasn't a top issue during the Founding? Rofl.

but yes as I said rural areas. Hence slave states, because both sides would have lost if they fought the British Empire alone. The very same place that implemented the slave economy in the western world.
    And also the center of abolition in the western world at the time which was precisely one of the factors for slave states supporting independence - something which bore out when the British offered manumission to enslaved people that joined the loyalist side, and when the British Empire axed slavery and the slave trade a full thirty years before the Civil War.

You're not disproving what I said about the electoral college being a sop to appease propertied white supremacists.

10+ Year Old Account
    and the GOP which wasn't even a party is to blame for the Electoral College? How about you not take my words but the words of the people who wrote the damn thing.
    The GOP is to blame for the historical revisionism casting the Electoral College as some sort of rational structure and not, as I said, a pretty obvious sop to propertied white supremacists.

10+ Year Old Account
    So people are stupid, and the GOP which wasn't even a party is to blame for the Electoral College? How about you not take my words but the words of the people who wrote the damn thing.
    Do you think politicians would call people stupid or create a bullshit reason, to not insult the public? What’s a faithless elector and how does that help rural states?

Fuck off with your "party talking point" bullshit. I am speaking for myself! That is has been almost every single rebuttable you have had of me. I can think for myself, and my view on the US constitution is based on things I learned in college. You got a problem with it take it up with the Universities and the Text Books.
    If you have a problem with repeating GOP talking points, take it up with them. That’s what you are doing... don’t like it... too bad...

10+ Year Old Account
    Try and little perspective from someone who doesn't live in a large city or doesn't currently have a Majority party who agrees with them. You act as if the Majority is always right? Often not, and even things like Labor Rights and others started in Rural Areas before they were brought into the main stream.
    So, to be clear; you don't like democracy, you don't care about SCOTUS and the potential civil rights losses, you don't care about actually getting any reforms passed if the people passing the reforms are too "corrupt" for your taste - as long as you get your money from the government.

This is literally a right wing caricature of a progressive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you could benefit from a Civics history course. There is a reason why Trail of Tears POTUS was held in high regard for a long time.

https://www.loc.gov/classroom-materi...-and-the-vote/
    That’s fantastic... let me ask again... What’s a faithless elector and how does that help the rural vote?

How about you not take everything someone says as coming from a place that is antithetical to you? Try and little perspective from someone who doesn't live in a large city or doesn't currently have a Majority party who agrees with them. You act as if the Majority is always right? Often not, and even things like Labor Rights and others started in Rural Areas before they were brought into the main stream.
    I said the US system is set up to help the elites... I said nothing of electoral college... you jump in to defend the elites, by bringing up electoral college and expect me to ignore it? I mean the entire political system... I didn’t mean electoral college... that was your assertion, because of your need to defend elites.

It's lazy, dumb, and uninteresting to simply claim, "DUR GOP TALKING POINT" because you don't agree with it or you think it is invalid.
    Yeah, and making me the subject of our discussion... is what?

10+ Year Old Account
    So jetti is defending mcconnell now? Yeesh.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    And the Electoral College, apparently.

It's kinda hilarious watching all of the former Ron Paul stans go full mask off now that even Sanders and Chomsky have made the stakes clear and they don't have any semi-credible authority figures to hide behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And the Electoral College, apparently.

It's kinda hilarious watching all of the former Ron Paul stans go full mask off now that even Sanders and Chomsky have made the stakes clear and they don't have any semi-credible authority figures to hide behind.
    The faithless vote of the electoral college proves that the whole fucking intent of it, was to suppress the public vote. Washington state giving a vote to Colin Powell in 2016 elections, had fuck all to do with rural voters. The fucker wasn’t even on the ballot... nor the other two people that got electoral votes.

The fact that founding fathers didn’t come out and call the public idiots, that need to be protected from them selfs... is fucking obvious... what rational person would even make such an argument?

- - - Updated - - -

Only if you believe your party is perfect in every way.
    This is my party and it is perfect in every way:

He will do anything to defend republican's, just to shit on Dem's. He's even used full on Nazi propoganda to defend Republican's, so this doesn't surprise me.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Electoral College help make the United States for all of it's faults and it's progress. Seems like despite it's struggles we are far better off then others. We even overtook many Countries and governments who've been at this for longer.
    That had fuck all to do with electoral college? We are all aware of American exceptionalism... that’s not an argument...

Is that a GOP talking point or are you going to both sides this shit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if you believe your party is perfect in every way.
    Foolish of me to think you were posting on the thread topic, please, continue your derail.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Foolish of me to think you were posting on the thread topic, please, continue your derail.
    Since we are off topic... just to make my self clear... America is exception, not because of electoral college... but, because of all the immigrants. Be it willful, through brain drain of autocrats who scoffed at listening to science, or forced labor through slavery. Each of these were vehicles for US to flourish, in spite of Catholic Churches burning...

10+ Year Old Account
    The Electoral College help make the United States for all of it's faults and it's progress. Seems like despite it's struggles we are far better off then others. We even overtook many Countries and governments who've been at this for longer.
    The US being good at imperialism is not a function of the Electoral College.

You cannot be a progressive and a nationalist. Sorry hun, that's just fascism.

10+ Year Old Account
    You said, " the system was set up to the system is set up for elite like Trump..." not even acknowledging Hillary is one of those elites.
    Oh, you think I stuttered? Here is what I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    3 million more of us voted for Hillary... the system is set up for elite like Trump...

Edit: Like I said earlier... they invented Afluenza, to protect a rich kid that killed someone while drunk driving. The system is simply set up to protect the elite’s power...
    I know your need to insert Hillary for some fucked up reason, but I went even lower... I used the afluenza kid as an example of the system? So........ WTF?!

You brought electoral college into this... you insulted my civics... so... instead of an appeal to authority... I will ask you for the third time... What is a faithless elector and how does that help rural votes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    You cannot be a progressive and a nationalist. Sorry hun, that's just fascism.
    His argument of "what we've got works so lets not change anything" is as conservative as it gets.
    /s