Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    So has Classic successfully recaptured the vanilla mage of old? From the little time I spent on thei game, it was less social and friendly than Nostalrius. I think the retail edgelords tried Classic, whereas Nostalrius had the actual vanilla players. The pattern to note here, though, is that the farther away we get from vanilla, the more the quality deteriorates.

I said it when people were crying about Nost being shut down, and I said it when Classic was announced and I say it again...

You'll never get back that experience you had in vanilla ever again. Thats a fact, that moment came and went. Unless you have a time machine and one of those mind wiping devices from Men in Black then there's no way you are going to recapture that feeling.

I been playing since 2005 and I went back to Classic when it was rel;eased and I had fun reliving the nostalgia but for me thats all it was, nostalgia. Something I admitted back when they announced classic.

Gaming, and us as a gaming culture have changed adapted and moved on. Sure we were dumber naive and clueless in 2004 - 2005 but now we know everything. And some of you continue to believe that Classic was the answer, and it is if you want that nostalgia kick, its the same reason I like going back to playing Mario 64. But Vanilla (or classic) was only great because it was new and fresh for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Classic is Vanilla. But we're in 2020. Minmax culture has infected every aspect of every game, whereas in 2004 it was nearly nonexistent.
    Easy answer.
    Are you sure? i remember trying to min-max in cs 1.3, AOE, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, dota and some free to play mmos before wow its not like 2004 were the stone age, now if we are talking 90s games i dunno, not my time

From the little time I spent on thei game, it was less social and friendly than Nostalrius.
    Private server people are awful human beings from my experience, so I don't know where you're getting this from.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not this shit again

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Do you know before classic it was possible to tell if someone had actually played vanilla or just a private server by asking them is locks did good dps? Yeah, that's how 'more like vanilla' it was.
    You understand we only played 1.12, right? that's a wash on both

Except p servers had some progression on items

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Fights made harder then they really were
    items drop rates being different
    TBC exp values
    fights not working as they should
    passive hp/mana regen nerfed to the ground.

also how is fake batching further from vanilla's real batching then nostalrius's zero attempt at batching?
    and "no item progression" what are you bloody talking about? tons of items have been locked behind later phases.
    We didn't have the values, those weren't purposeful alterations for the msot part.

The idea was to just picked the hardest version for most of them.

How this makes them worse not better i don't know. It's 2020 using the hardest version makes sense to me

Any deviation again with fights not purposeful, felt fine.

As to the regen values I have no reason to think ti's not classic that's fucking it up. The fake batching changes all that shit as well even if they have the right values.

Because replicating the fake batching was extremely complex and in question whether or not it was better. they did the rational thing and dumped it. Not put ina shitty version that arbitrarily changes the game

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    A private server better than classic haha.
    Also: hahaha
    Oh and: hahahaha

Now really, stop it already. It's just the same thing with better infrastructure, plus all the old kids/adults that turned into grumpy adults/old timers.
    You getting offended by minimal changes for a better service is beyond anyone.
    I think there has been enough examples to void any claim that it is the same thing. Sure, their infrastructure is better - which is another nail in the coffin. Private servers have been able to run better with upto 5x the population - without using layers or limits on a zone.

I dont think the service better. Not at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    Private server people are awful human beings from my experience, so I don't know where you're getting this from.
    Ironic. Specially concidering your post history.

Others have said but the biggest difference between classic and vanilla is the community. For better or for worse, the knowledge available to players, and the standard is much higher than it was 15 years ago.

If you went in expecting to have the same experience as you did 15 years ago, it was never going to happen. Doesn't mean it's good or bad, just different

The vanilla experience relies on much more than just the video game. Much of which hasn't existed for over a decade

Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    I think there has been enough examples to void any claim that it is the same thing. Sure, their infrastructure is better - which is another nail in the coffin. Private servers have been able to run better with upto 5x the population - without using layers or limits on a zone.

I dont think the service better. Not at all.
    So... got anything to back this up? Population I mean
    Also you do realize private servers were running ONE server while blizz was running shitton of them in each region?
    Also PS are not controlled and have no reference clients so changes were made. GMs selling items were a thing and no protection against loosing your character in case server shuts down.
    And a lot of servers tend to inflate their population numbers because of "there is a lot of people playing there - must be good". Molten used to do it all the time, besides having P2W so that was the real reason why it was so shit.

And no, you cannot comment about population at all.

So has Classic successfully recaptured the vanilla mage of old? From the little time I spent on thei game, it was less social and friendly than Nostalrius. I think the retail edgelords tried Classic, whereas Nostalrius had the actual vanilla players. The pattern to note here, though, is that the farther away we get from vanilla, the more the quality deteriorates.
    I guess anything to avoid facing the truth. The reason you aren't having fun is because you're 15 years older.

Imagine thinking Nostalrius, Elysium or Light's hope had on lag or ran better than Blizz realms. During peak times Nost and Elysium were not stable at all.
    They limited see distance to 10-15 yards at times to avoid lag, you couldn't see mobs or other players even within your cast distance during worst times. Every now and then there was a crash and a rollback. I had bad luck and lost my mount to one of them.
    Swamp of Sorrows zone borders or something were wrong, so you'd jump to different 'layer', making an NPC not accessible, quest items being inside ground, npc spawns fucked. One Thousand Needles quest had only a single spawn for quest mob. The way to do it was stand in one spot for 30min waiting for respawns.
    I think every class had bugs and inaccuracies. Shaman's Windfury extra AP didn't work, Warlocks VW was buffed to all hell, Paladin Consecrations couldn't be stacked etc..

I still had a good time, but it was definitely worse than Classic. A lot of rough corners wherever you looked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on server and guild tbh. I know there is a lot of boosters pugs etc. came from modern wow but still can be nostalgic and taste like vanilla.

Ah yes, retail players ruined Classic, rather than the toxic-as-fuck PS community and the crowd that had been trolling forums and social media relentlessly since Nost shut down.

Ya'll are so delusional it's not even funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pheeb View Post
    We need TBC
    Yes please.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Classic players seems very adamant on trying to make their community look good and trashtalk another... Which ironically isn't exactly a good sign for a community.

Just from mmo-c classic seems to have the most obnoxious people with the "we are better than these people" attitude.
    As i have always said, if your game is so good why must you spend so much time comparing it to other games and saying it is better then them, while trying to put them down.

especially now with the toxic as shit private server community slowly becoming the majority as many people get bored of classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Set your FPS limit to 15 and You will have real vanilla experience

Quote Originally Posted by BigHot View Post
    You understand we only played 1.12, right? that's a wash on both

Except p servers had some progression on items
    Do you realize the point of my post was that Nost wasn't 'more like vanilla' which is the thesis statement of the thread? Where did you even conclude I was talking about classic at all from?
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Mechagnome
    3+ Year Old Account
    I mean it can never be the "same experience" because we know all the answers.

Imagine sitting an exam, then re-sitting that same exam some time later. You'll do much better and the unknowns are no longer there. Vanilla was an experience because NO ONE knew each other, no one knew anything about the game... theorycrafting? fan forums? literally nothing. Keybindings were not really a big concept out of 0-9 and forget about macro's or strong PCs able to handle a high frame rate. Even finding out how attunements were done was a complete mystery at the start. The "true" Vanilla experience will never happen again, same goes for TBC and onwards if they re-release that.

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    Yeah, it's the players that changed how Vanilla worked to how Classic worked. It wasn't Blizzard.

Now you have tons of players who play only in the way the GUIDE tells them to, and anything else is 'inefficient'. Vanilla wasn't made for such a set of players.
    People also did that back in Vanilla. Many were just too stupid to do it right.

I don't recall vanilla having boosts, contemporary bro-gamers, etc.
    Well vanilla was 15 years ago and private servers in those 15 years changed a lot !
    I dont remember people hunting BiS items back then,i dont remember warriors going into BWL will half leather items equipped we all had tier 1 or something plate based!
    Community found a lot of "holes" in the game also there were boosts 100% back in vanilla days
    I dont know what "contemporary bro-gamers" is x) so i cant answer to that :P

Not sure if it's totally different people but the mindset of Classic is completely different indeed.

Now it's just a gigantic min/maxing rush fest. Servers are completely dead outside of the buff+raid times. On my server even the auction house is dead.