Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Do you think we will see Varian in the shadowlands?

There have been so many cinematics of Anduin obviously not being able to let go of his father, with the latest being right here in the pre-patch.

It feels like they are setting it up for him to get the chance to get the final good bye that he needs to be able to move on. What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Varian got blown to bits that nigga perma dead

Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    Varian got blown to bits that nigga perma dead
    I know he's dead, so I'm not talking about a full-blown ressurection. I mean something akin to Anduin meeting him in Maldraxxus or wherever he would go after the machine of death is fixed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    I know he's dead, so I'm not talking about a full-blown ressurection. I mean something akin to Anduin meeting him in Maldraxxus or wherever he would go after the machine of death is fixed.
    Yeah no I know what you meant but like why? Tired of people not staying dead in this game. We're literally getting Kael for the 3rd time.

If anything I rather see Garrosh instead of Varian. That would be way cooler, dont you think?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Fel is suppose to consume souls so there should be nothing to get sent to the shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Fel is suppose to consume souls so there should be nothing to get sent to the shadowlands.
    I heard about that theory, but while it's not cannon, didn't they kind of hint at him moving on with the Heroes of the Storm trailer? I dunno, but if they just wanted him in the game they could've just hade his trailer be about when he was a gladiator or something. Feels like they hinted at something with him running around in the afterlife, even back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    God I hope so. If he doesn't show up in some capacity I will be highly upset. This is the perfect chance. But who am I kidding. We had all of Legion to get a reunion between Malfurion, Tyrande and Illidan and it just didn't happen because reasons.

I really hope they don't pull this "there's too many characters" card and just glosses over him. I don't even need him to be central to the story or anything. I just want him to show up for a sec. Maybe do something awesome and then that be it.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I heard about that theory, but while it's not cannon, didn't they kind of hint at him moving on with the Heroes of the Storm trailer? I dunno, but if they just wanted him in the game they could've just hade his trailer be about when he was a gladiator or something. Feels like they hinted at something with him running around in the afterlife, even back then.
    Hero’s of the storm is as far as you can get from actual lore nothing there has any baring just like hearthstone.

Please don't make us suffer through being Anduin's therapist like we did for Thrall.

Varian shows up, it means the writers once again ignored the inconvenient lore, specifically how fel destroys a soul. Further, we'll have to suffer through some nauseating bit where he bows before Anduin's non toxic masculinity and states that he regrets not bending over and taking whatever the Horde threw at him like The Golden Child preaches.

Fortunately, no worries there because the writers are already "forced" to include Alliance characters like Uther because of the Arthas and Lich Queen connections, and since they're only interested in writing Horde, they hopefully won't inflict the above scenario on us.
    Last edited by Feanoro; 2020-10-16 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we will see him - he is either dead dead (aka dispelled), or fighting in the Nexus of HotS, depending on your own head canon :P

#TEAMGIRAFFE

I hope that at some point, we get to see a glimpse of one of the other afterlives, the sort we thought of before we learned about the Shadowlands, like orcs dying and their afterlife being basically an eternal nomadic hunting Nagrand-esque lifestyle, human light-worshippers dying and going to the sort of afterlife they envisioned, stuff like that. I'd like to see Varian with Tiffin in the sort of Light afterlife Uther and Alexandros wanted, with Varian after fighting for so long finally able to rest and be happy. A cameo, sort of to say something to the players and characters like Anduin like, "His fight is done, see? He's happy now. It's up to you now, Anduin." Kind of like in Dragon Ball Super when Future Trunks came back and hung out with Present Gohan, sees he's a happy family man now, whereas Future Gohan had to keep fighting, so Future Trunks chooses not to tell him about his struggles and just let him be happy, and that helps Future Trunks draw some strength and confidence. I'd like to see Anduin get a bit more decisive and strong that way, being inspired by Varian who seemed inspired by Anduin and accepted some of what his son said before he was killed by Gul'dan. Sort of a blending of the two.
    Last edited by Koryn123; 2020-10-16 at 06:51 PM.

Yeah no I know what you meant but like why? Tired of people not staying dead in this game. We're literally getting Kael for the 3rd time.

If anything I rather see Garrosh instead of Varian. That would be way cooler, dont you think?
    Honestly I'd rather not see any more of either of those two.

7+ Year Old Account

HATE Resurrecting characters! Why can't people stay dead! Well...I guess if its a character I like.....

We should, I'm sure most fans would be ecstatic. After all, WoW's story should exist primarly to entertain and hype up the audience.

Varian did get his final goodbye. He handed it to Genn when he decided to jump off a rope ladder and solo the Legion. I don't think he needs another one. If they were going to throw an Alliance character into the mix, I'd hope for Anduin (Lothar) or Liam or Antonidas. The former is one of the most iconic Alliance heroes who has had no representation in WoW thus far, whereas Liam would be relevant for any Sylvanas storyline and Antonidas could tie into any Arthas/necromancy plots they develop.

Isn't he in the Maw? I was under the impression all souls during and post Legion with the exception of trolls went to the Maw due to Jailor

You said it yourself, it's not canon. There's no 'hint' if it's not canon, just like anything in Hearthstone doesn't 'hint' at stuff going on in WoW.

Though I really would love if they revamped Gadgetzan into the bustling city in Streets of Gadgetzan.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Please don't make us suffer through being Anduin's therapist like we did for Thrall.

Varian shows up, it means the writers once again ignored the inconvenient lore, specifically how fel destroys a soul. Further, we'll have to suffer through some nauseating bit where he bows before Anduin's non toxic masculinity and states that he regrets not bending over and taking whatever the Horde threw at him like The Golden Child preaches.

Fortunately, no worries there because the writers are already "forced" to include Alliance characters like Uther because of the Arthas and Lich Queen connections, and since they're only interested in writing Horde, they hopefully won't inflict the above scenario on us.
    Sorry, but can you link me one source that fel magic destroys the soul?

Not Sargaras insane mega explosion that almost destroyed the souls of pantheons, which even that failed. I'm talking warlocks fel magic or any other being using fel magic.

Oh you can't? Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDragon View Post
    Isn't he in the Maw? I was under the impression all souls during and post Legion with the exception of trolls went to the Maw due to Jailor
    He died before the events of Emerald Nightmare, and Ursoc went to Ardenweald, so presumably those who died on the Broken Shore that weren't fed into soul engines went to a functioning Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    He died before the events of Emerald Nightmare, and Ursoc went to Ardenweald, so presumably those who died on the Broken Shore that weren't fed into soul engines went to a functioning Shadowlands.
    That's correct I completely forgot about Ursoc, thank you for correcting me