Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The bread comparison is laughable at best seeing as how name changes for characters in WoW aren't exactly an everyday commodity, but each to their own.
    You must be too narrow-minded if you didn't get it. But whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I "got" it just fine, you ain't exactly selling deep arguments here.

It's still a laughable comparison since bread exists in hundreds of thousands of variations ranging from cheap, mass produced to artisan products. The services for WoW exist in a vacuum where 1 company sets the price.

But indeed, "whatever".

It's still a laughable comparison since bread exists in hundreds of thousands of variations ranging from cheap, mass produced to artisan products. The services for WoW exist in a vacuum where 1 company sets the price.

But indeed, "whatever".
    Gotta side with the hamster on this one.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Not really.

The value =! price is just as bad as in my comparison. You can add 5€ to it and actually get 1 month of the game-time, where you can easily level up to 50 and wait for SL.
    And for 10€ there are plenty of other services in other games that require more work and have overall much higher quality than just a name change.

But welp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not really.

The value =! price is just as bad as in my comparison. You can add 5€ to it and actually get 1 month of the game-time, where you can easily level up to 50 and wait for SL.
    And for 10€ there are plenty of other services in other games that require more work and have overall much higher quality than just a name change.

But welp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Each to their own. If it's such a useless feature, being pissy over it seems redundant. It's basically nothing for something that's supposed to be pretty long-term.

Seems pretty easy to comprehend to me.

The name change price doesn't reflect any of the work actually put into it nor does it seem sensible relative to other services offered by Blizzard within the same price proximity.

But oh well.

5+ Year Old Account
    What we really need is a mount with barbershop on it, since I never got chonky alliance pvp hippo mount, i want a barbershop hippo

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Not sure why would someone report you for that and if they would, why would Blizzard ever care about that report?
    Princess is a blocked name. You cannot name characters "Princess" anymore. It is so specifically, because some people created big male orc Princesses..

Quote Originally Posted by Sinaa View Post
    Princess is a blocked name. You cannot name characters "Princess" anymore. It is so specifically, because some people created big male orc Princesses..
    I am still not very convinced. Got any sources for that?

Xxarthasdk vs Illidank after they visited barber shop:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/73/71...a371a23d4b.jpg

It's a fairly old fanart btw, didn't prevent anyone from gender swapping characters.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    They...already did? You can swap genders for free now.
    You didn't get it right? It's common to need a name change when you gender change (even in real life), but the name change is still a paid service. They just created demand for something that had almost none.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullerick View Post
    Their trick is that it'll tempt you to buy a name change. The real reason people are doing this is because the gender appearance change never sold but now they're gonna get a bunch of sales despite the fact that it's cheaper.
    They changed a paid service into a free server but ITS ALL JUST A CONSPIRACY TO MAKE YOU BUY NAME CHANGE!

/tinfoil
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Seems pretty easy to comprehend to me.

The name change price doesn't reflect any of the work actually put into it nor does it seem sensible relative to other services offered by Blizzard within the same price proximity.

But oh well.
    Exactly.

Each to their own. If it's such a useless feature, being pissy over it seems redundant. It's basically nothing for something that's supposed to be pretty long-term.
    You know what? I kinda agree, it's a matter of the perspective. From mine it's silly price for such a thing.
    But I guess if someone really put effort in WoW trying to gather achievements/feats etc then it could be something important for that person. I mean the feeling of having a video game character identity.

Not sure if this still works but you used to be able to get a free name change by deleting your character then getting a friend to make a new character with your old character name. Restore your character and it’ll be flagged for name change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinaa View Post
    The good ol' days of naming your big male orc princess and hanging out at Stonefield farm in Elwynn Forest; patiently waiting for noobs to flag themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Calling it a trick and giving only one reason for the change, i.e. "cash money" does not seem non-judgemental nor "not searching for the evil", mate. I mean, I can take you at face value here and accept you didn't mean it that way, but you sure wrote something that looked like the kind of "It's all an evil plan!!!" conspiracy stuff some people come out with.

And I'm pretty sure the main reason they allowed gender-change was that it's something people have wanted for a long time and fit in with their general ethos of improving people's ability to customize their characters. And many characters, maybe even most, don't have gendered names. But I'm sure the side-benefit of more name changes wasn't seen as a negative. Note they did put in the -30% cost too, for a month, so they're not gouging on it either.

Re: some other suggestions people are making re: names, some of these are really ill-considered. Names are used as a unique identifier in WoW (unlike some other MMORPGs where only an account name is the unique identifier), so you can't really have people changing them constantly, or even with a cooldown, you need something even more serious.

Letting people name-change freely would cause other issues as well - for example, any topical or political issue would immediately cause a bunch of idiots and jerks to rename their characters about it (and be "creative" if Blizzard saw it coming and blocked them). It's bad enough with people creating new characters to do this, but every jerk who loves to troll /1 and /2 would be all over this. So that would be a ton of extra work for Blizzard, as people report the names, CSRs change them, the idiots in question change them again (even if there's a cooldown, as soon as it's over) to whatever "clever" new thing they can come with, and the same idiots also make tickets and official forum threads about how terribly unfair was that Blizzard renamed Covidinurnose and so on. And if being bad with this locked you out of it, the people would whine literally for the rest of eternity about how "unfair" it was that "just" for repeatedly changing their name to racial slurs, they got banned from changing their name and now their immersion is RUINED forever. Whereas if it costs them money, very few are going to bother with this. You'd basically be making a mildly annoying situation into an incredibly irritating one which required significantly more resources from Blizzard.

So I think name-change being paid makes sense. Even if the money didn't go to Blizzard (i.e. to a charity or something), I think it makes sense for it to be paid, because you need a deterrent against people changing them constantly. It's $10 so not bank-breaking if you're serious about a character, but enough to make trolls and most idiots go "Uh, nope". It's essentially only an issue because Blizzard made something else free.

Now someone may suggest well maybe every character should get a free name-change, but I've seen what happens when games give those out in other games, and it isn't pretty. Loads of characters change their names - then they brutally regret it a few days later - and their one free name change (or change per character) is gone/done, and people tend to get upset. Some even quit rather than buying a name-change. And obviously you get the same topical-troll idiots who all think Covidinurnose is the best name ever, and don't even consider that six months later they're going to be feeling like a moron, even if Blizzard don't force-change them. Indeed, you see this even in WoW. Some moron decides to create a topical-name gimmick character, but then they enjoy playing them, end up at max level, and are really regretting the choice - and instead of re-rolling, they just beg people to report their name. Free name-changes would just massively multiply that problem.
    I'm not gonna argue with you what the concept of judging means. It was a non-judgemental observation no more no less

So happy my main names tend to work for both genders, that's where the secret lie.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullerick View Post
    I'm not gonna argue with you what the concept of judging means. It was a non-judgemental observation no more no less
    Yeah sorry it was more of a comment than a question as they say lol

Nub you need to pick a neutral name if your gunna be swapping smh

Not really.

But welp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    As long as we are posting opinions about this I think it’s well worth $10. I personally think in mmos you shouldn’t ever be able to name change unless you are forced to because you have a toxic name. I think whatever you make your character to be should be your character forever. So the small price of $10 really allows you to do something I personally don’t think you should ever do.