Poll: Which expansion was hyped the most?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Which do you think the most hyped expansion ever?

I do think it is a tie between Cataclysm and WoD then close second Legion because it was kinda like TBC v2 and the conclusion story for the Burning Legion.
    Imo it's a tie between WotLK and WoD. The difference is that the former actually delivered, while the latter ended up being half a xpac.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

wotlk trailer is the only expansion trailer i can 100% recall. Ye, it hyped me good. And also the blizzcon reveal was a big hit - and all the following complaints about the missing dance stuide :>

Without a doubt, TBC was by far the most hyped expansion, followed closley by Wrath.

Probably Legion. After the failure that was WoD they came out with a real almost finished concept that sounded amazing and turned out pretty good. Also they started their Q&A streams then and it was good to see blizzard care again after doing nothing for 2 years.
    Imagine how BFA or Shadowlands could have turned out if they communicated a clear plan for the whole expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Probably Legion. After the failure that was WoD they came out with a real almost finished concept that sounded amazing and turned out pretty good. Also they started their Q&A streams then and it was good to see blizzard care again after doing nothing for 2 years.
    Imagine how BFA or Shadowlands could have turned out if they communicated a clear plan for the whole expansion.
    Imagine WoD without the massive cut contents and fleshing out Farahlon content with Kargath Bladefist being the boss there with his own raid, and surviving his fight in Highmaul raid, and making Grommash Hellscream the true villain of the expansion then adding Archimonde as the pre patch boss preparing us for Legion expansion. Making garrison feature pure cosmetic optional housing not mandatory for the end game of the expansion (kinda how they did housing in FFXIV).

Definitely Wotlk.

That trailer that was massively pushed onto everyone. There is nothing wrong with that either, as that trailer still holds up. I remember being shown that trailer even before I was playing the game. I did come near the end of late TBC. It makes sense to me that it would generate the most hype for everyone.. as subscribers were at it's highest peak at that time.

WoD, they tried to grab back the more mature audience. So that trailer was a success for sure. That one actually incentivized a lot of players to come back. After the pandas were released. So WoD was a success but ultimately not the most hyped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath I think, probably followed by Legion or WoD.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Ironically I think it was WoD. Funny how the most hyped expansion turned out to be the shittiest.
    I wasnt surfing fansites when tbc came out so i dont know,but....from what i recall yeah,pretty much wod was most hyped,and not only that,but for me personaly wod had the best theme,the best cinematic,the best intro to an expansion.,..storming in to old draenor and seeing that active invading army was simply bigger and better than any other expansion start

at the time it just felt...badass,specialy coming after mop...wile good,didnt have nearly as much of a umpf that wod had

Wrath absolutely no question. It was going back to Azeroth after outland, continuing the Frozen Thrones storyline, adding a new continent to the base world for the first time, adding a new class for the first time along with stuff like the achievement system, inscription and the barbershop to customise your characters in game for the first time. The build up for wrath even after it leaked anyway and we all knew about it was fucking crazy

I remember midnight launch was a freezing early winter, people were coming back to their cars to find the doors frozen shut and still you saw people across the world who had been camping out for a box full of disks for a full day with "take my spot i take your life" signs that would go on to be jokes online but the point is it was the follow up to Sunwell era WoW and people were going batshit crazy waiting for it. I've never seen that level of prerelease fervour for an mmo ever again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember the hype for WoD being absolutely crazy. Literally I was the only one not keen on a time travel story, but for some reason everyone else was far more into it :P

Me personally, wotlk for damn sure.

For the community as a whole, def wod. People that I didn’t even know who player wow were talking about it. Then it uh... turned into what it turned into lol

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Which do you think the most hyped expansion ever?

I do think it is a tie between Cataclysm and WoD then close second Legion because it was kinda like TBC v2 and the conclusion story for the Burning Legion.
    I think Cataclysm and WoD, yeah.

There was lots of hype for Cataclysm back in the day. MoP was.. eh, well- a lot of complaining about Pandaren. I know a lot of people were excited for WoD and "a return to form," and I think Legion was pretty well received as well, especially what with Demon Hunters and artifacts.

I'm gonna be honest, it's pretty hard to remember the level of hype, but on a personal level, I was pretty hyped for BfA (well, sans the faction war component) and not very hyped for Shadowlands.

Regardless of which one was the most hyped, shadowlands is for SURE the least hyped expansion of all time hands down. Only other expansion remotely close is probably mop

I've already posted which I thought was the most hyped expansion, but ultimately this thread made me come to the realization that the more mature content demolished other expansions. Also brought in the most money and players. Blizzard can't argue against statistics.