Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Can you imagine that not keeping in practice with a skill might mean it atrophies over time. Shocking, I tell you.

This is an argument for adjusting the format of language classes for better education and retention, not an argument against language classes especially given nearly a fifth of the US is Hispanophone.
    I'd still say that it wouldn't be a good idea to mandate specifically Spanish as the foreign language requirement. If people have no interest in a particular language, forcing it on them isn't going to help them learn it.

If we lived in a perfect world, I'd suggest that more languages be available in the US education system, not just Romance languages and German, which is what was available at the high schools here. It would probably be a good idea to organize language classes to be online, with some sort of access to a digital library of learning and native level media in that language.

I've definitely used Japanese more than I've used Spanish, and that's with being mostly self-taught for the 3 years I've been with the language, minus the classes I'm taking now to help refine it.
    I even see more use for Mandarin in the future, seeing that the vast majority of my classmates at the moment are Chinese and some sort of desire to communicate to them besides using Japanese.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    As someone who speaks multiple languages I disagree, I have to speak to vendors whose languages I don't know we have been using google translate to do it all for decades now with no issues. By the time kids of today come of age the concept of learning another language will be meaningless, the same way calligraphy is becoming obsolete now thanks to pcs.
    Understanding different languages not only helps with talking to foreigners but also trains your brain and gives you a different perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
    While the idea is nice, unless it's easy to immerse yourself in the language (like Spanish in the USA), it's very hard to retain that knowledge.
    He wrote on an international gaming forum that was started by a french man and is used by people from all over the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The correct way to say it, if you were making a distinction, would be American English, British English, Canadian English and/or Australian English.
    Are you trying to correct german authors on the correct use of german?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Understanding different languages not only helps with talking to foreigners but also trains your brain and gives you a different perspective.
    But linguistics is not the only method of doing so I am simply pointing out technology will soon render it obsolete or rarer for people to want to pick up another language.

15+ Year Old Account
    But linguistics is not the only method of doing so I am simply pointing out technology will soon render it obsolete or rarer for people to want to pick up another language.
    What comparable method would you consider instead that can be started at a very young age?

- - - Updated - - -

You damn right I am

was only replying to the OP, don’t even know what the image said
    American noun

Amer·​i·​can | \ ə-ˈmer-ə-kən , -ˈmər- , -ˈme-rə- \
    Definition of American (Entry 1 of 2)
    1: an American Indian of North America or South America
    2: a native or inhabitant of North America or South America
    3: a native or inhabitant of the U.S. : a U.S. citizen
    4: AMERICAN ENGLISH
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    I did say American English would be correct.... so???

You don’t say, “He speaks American”. If making a distinction between English speaking countries, you’d say ”He speaks American English” or ”He speaks British English”, etc.
    He speaks American would be correct though, so what's your point?

Why learn things you will never use? But then alot of things your forced to learn also should get thrown away for the same reason (like higher level math).

As a Swedish person it makes sense to learn English, you watch or read English content almost every day. But being forced to learn a 3rd language just feels pointless.
    If I where American I probably would feel the same about learning a second language, you could replace it with culture studies instead and mix in common phrases. For western people all language apart from your countries language and English should be a choice not a demand.

My wife speak 3 languages fluent and now have to learn Swedish also and I pity my daughter that in the end "have to" learn 5.

You damn right I am
    Maybe you people could learn to speak fucking English properly before lecturing other nations about how to speak their language.

What comparable method would you consider instead that can be started at a very young age?
    There are several play learning methods of doing so even abstract thinking is being taught to young students using basic math.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Here's my hot take of the day: Students should be required to take foreign language classes in school to graduate. Knowing how to speak more than one language is a great skill that will make you more attractive to future employers. Studies show that foreign languages help critical thinking skills.
    There are many different languages, it is not feasible to have a teacher for each one. This leaves you with 1 or 2. You can go through life without knowing a second language, I believe time could be put to better use with other topics that will help you out in life.

15+ Year Old Account
    That’s not correct, though, which you even pointed out when you posted that definition. You’d say American English.
    American can mean American English, I mean, I've c/p you the dictionary definition.

- - - Updated - - -

There are several play learning methods of doing so even abstract thinking is being taught to young students using basic math.
    Ok, what are those several play learning methods called?

Ok, what are those several play learning methods called?
    They aren't called anything specific they are incorporated into reading in kindergarten and problem solving, mathematics in the form of word problems very effective in doing this. There are also online play games that teachers use in class that have that as well something as subtle as addition with a fish that only consumes the right amount.

There is no single path to anything language is just one of many options evidenced by the countless people who speak one language with those skills.

15+ Year Old Account
    And literally now also shows a definition of meaning figuratively or “used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true”, which we know to not be correct, but people can change the meaning of words because of how often it’s used. That still doesn’t mean it’s being used correctly, nor does it mean the definition is correct English.
    Arguing against the dictionary while stating to be correct is quite something.

And literally now also shows a definition of meaning figuratively or “used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true”, which we know to not be correct, but people can change the meaning of words because of how often it’s used. That still doesn’t mean it’s being used correctly, nor does it mean the definition is correct English.
    In fact, many languages ​​have different dialects. The classic British language has received several versions, this is due to the fact that people live in different countries. People of different nationalities mastered North America and Australia, which led to a modification of the main language. For Americans, British English cannot be considered a foreign language. As for learning foreign languages, you need to learn promising languages. If I had the opportunity while still in school, I would learn Chinese. I have only recently started to study it, because it is a promising income.

This is an encouragement for lazy thinking. Tech will never replace the mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    They aren't called anything specific they are incorporated into reading in kindergarten and problem solving, mathematics in the form of word problems very effective in doing this. There are also online play games that teachers use in class that have that as well something as subtle as addition with a fish that only consumes the right amount.

There is no single path to anything language is just one of many options evidenced by the countless people who speak one language with those skills.
    So why get rid of one thing that works well and incorporates many of these things into one?

Arguably mathematics is useless because of programs, reading as well ... I mean, why draw the line at language?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, dude, you keep saying you speak American. I’ll say American English, United States English or U.S. English.

You know, the correct way to say it if you’re making a distinction.
    Actually, I speak German, and the butchered internet version of English that is a combination of all the different English versions that exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Code is a form of linguistics... ISO language codes actually deals with current discussion, as it lets you split English into things like en-US, en-GB, en-CA and en-WW. Learning to code is a lot easier if you know multiple languages before you start...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Code is a form of linguistics... ISO language codes actually deals with current discussion, as it lets you split English into things like en-US, en-GB, en-CA and en-WW. Learning to code is a lot easier if you know multiple languages before you start...
    That's debatable I found mathematics made learning coding easier than knowing different languages but I can't objectively say that since I was multi linguistic from a young age. It would be interesting to look at research on the matter and see how the data pans out, the research also says that the only reason younger people learn languages faster is because they have more time not their brain make up.

- - - Updated - - -

So why get rid of one thing that works well and incorporates many of these things into one?

Arguably mathematics is useless because of programs, reading as well ... I mean, why draw the line at language?
    Mathematics has multiple applications the same doesn't go for learning more than one language, billions of people will do just fine with one language not so without knowing math.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mathematics has multiple applications the same doesn't go for learning more than one language, billions of people will do just fine with one language not so without knowing math.
    Really? Billions couldn't do fine with just knowing how to use the calculator app?

Really? Billions couldn't do fine with just knowing how to use the calculator app?
    How are they going to do that when they wouldn't know what the numbers or the symbols are? This is silly though math is easily more essential than learning another language.

You are simply being obtuse for the sake of it

15+ Year Old Account
    How are they going to do that when they wouldn't know what the numbers or the symbols are? This is silly though math is easily more essential than learning another language.

You are simply being obtuse for the sake of it
    Well, it all depends on what you define as "doing fine". People were doing fine without being able to read and write, acquiring knowledge especially about different cultures is a very valuable trait that can't be compensated by simple translation.