Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Yeah that's fine. I have 32GB on my system and work system and its mostly fine anyway. Vegas is fine indeed and once you know one NLE going from one to other does not take long to adjust.

• In most scenarios you will always exhaust the GPU power, CPU won't be a bottleneck and the other way around won't matter, you will always have CPUs that can keep up but its always the GPUs that "bottleneck".
    • In terms of PSUs I am a fan of EVGA and SeaSonic. Anything with big fat warranty and Gold+ certification.
    • I run a custom loop and only really need to filter it once a year (this time round I am pushing 2 years) #lazy. Air is fine, often the noise isn't that different as even AIOs tend to be noisy due to 2-3 fans on the rad. The Noctua DH15 can often even be compared to AIOs in terms of performance. Imho AIOs look nice though and don't require any maintenance outside of the occasional dust clean.
    • What's your NVME/SSD setup atmo? For editing you want OS on standard SSD, NVME for Scratch/Cache, NVME for games (due to consoles) and SSD for footage (or NVME if you got budget). For more information go to the conclusion part of this article on Pugets website - https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...54/#Conclusion
    • In terms of RAM. It's a lottery whether you get Samsung B-die or Hynix chips. Samsung-B die being the lottery ticket and Hynix not exactly terrible but its not the best. If you go with Ryzen having 3600Mhz RAM is good due to 1:1 Infinity Fabric ratio. Whether that is a huge performance gain in editing or small in gaming I can't answers.

What are you going to be editing? I forgot to ask. Is it DSLR footage, Action Cams like GoPro or are we talking about screen recordings etc as you mentioned YouTube stuff?
    • Any chance you can show me which AIO you use?
    • Also, I'm not sure I understood but is it the case that the OS should be in an SSD over an NVMe? I thought OS on NVMe would be much better than SSD?
    • Can I select the Samsung myself? Or it just luck with the chip or something?

As for what I'm editing at the moment is gaming footage, but will look to do some IRL stuff in the future, although nothing to that insane high level, it'll continue to be mostly game footage.
    World PvP and how it stands/standed.
    World PvP isn't meant to be balanced, fair nor honorable. It's meant to be brutal, relentless, deadly.. and it's the survival of the fittest. It's a fight where everything goes and you use anything you can to survive and win. It's War.. a World of Warcraft where only the best survive!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedj View Post
    • Any chance you can show me which AIO you use?
    • Also, I'm not sure I understood but is it the case that the OS should be in an SSD over an NVMe? I thought OS on NVMe would be much better than SSD?
    • Can I select the Samsung myself? Or it just luck with the chip or something?

As for what I'm editing at the moment is gaming footage, but will look to do some IRL stuff in the future, although nothing to that insane high level, it'll continue to be mostly game footage.
    NVME is an SSD. The one you quoted was a bit confusing, Consumer SSD's come in 2 forms: SATA and NVME. NVME is faster but the difference vs SATA is very small except for in sequential workloads (= If you're working with or moving around large amounts of data).

Samsung B-die is discontinued and can be hard to find these days, not the end of the world though as there are other chips that are pretty much just as good. Micron E-die for example. Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz CL16 is 100% guaranteed Micron E-die.

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For storage: Samsung EVO850/860 1-2TB
    For windows: Samsung m.2 970 Pro

If you're spending big money, get best solution and that is Samsung.
    From all things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chase_the_mofo View Post

They're massively more expensive for not a lot of, or no gain. Get an MX500 and Sabrent Rocket or something instead.
    The only reason you should go Samsung is for the warranty, in case you're basically torturing the drives, or you're running mission critical data on them (In which case, run RAID 1, and take many backups instead/in addition to)

Quote Originally Posted by chase_the_mofo View Post

What?

Sabrent are better and cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by locketto View Post
    What?

Indeed, the Pro drives are great if you are constantly writing data to them but even then the Rockets are more than sufficient.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    NVME is faster but the difference vs SATA is very small except for in sequential workloads (= If you're working with or moving around large amounts of data).
    No. The difference is small in random access workloads, i.e. when you're moving a lot of small files or just accessing files all over the drive (search for example). In high volume sequential workloads (which is usually what you do when moving the footage) the difference is huge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by locketto View Post
    What?

Better in which parameter? Speed? Yea they're bit better. Durability (if we consider the PLUS, not the original 970) - not so much. Both are very overpriced still and are not worth buying. Just get the SM2262/TLC stuff.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    No. The difference is small in random access workloads, i.e. when you're moving a lot of small files or just accessing files all over the drive (search for example). In high volume sequential workloads (which is usually what you do when moving the footage) the difference is huge.
    That's.... exactly what I said isn't it?

ryzen 5950 + rtx3090

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    That's.... exactly what I said isn't it?
    Sorry, was dead tired
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B