Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
16
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Pace feels nice, although having some abilities (like the last talent row) gated much deeper in the process than before is kind of sad. The Chromie Time 1-minute warning and exit teleport at 50 is atrocious though. Especially since you need to be a somewhat experienced player already to access the Chromie Time stuff, and I would really hope any experienced player knows how to use their own hearthstone and/or find their own way back to Org/SW with minimal issue... Blizz doesn't need to forcibly teleport us there.

    At most you should get a quest and teleport scroll added to your inventory when you hit 50. Being forced out with no choice is just jarring.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Pace feels nice, although having some abilities (like the last talent row) gated much deeper in the process than before is kind of sad. The Chromie Time 1-minute warning and exit teleport at 50 is atrocious though. Especially since you need to be a somewhat experienced player already to access the Chromie Time stuff, and I would really hope any experienced player knows how to use their own hearthstone and/or find their own way back to Org/SW with minimal issue... Blizz doesn't need to forcibly teleport us there.

    At most you should get a quest and teleport scroll added to your inventory when you hit 50. Being forced out with no choice is just jarring.
    I will confess that I hadn't hit 50 on any alts up until now, so I was unaware of that bit. That's not great.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    I'm 40+ and I can't imagine spending any time leveling in this game. If you've been playing for a long time, what could you possibly get out of it? (serious question). Like at least in something like swtor there is a personalized story. In wow it's just running chores for x hours.
    Sometimes it's nice to re-experience the journey---remember fond experiences, etc. It's like when I start a new Baldur's Gate 2 campaign. I've started dozens over the year--but I only ever beat the game once. I don't really consider that time wasted because I enjoyed those playthroughs--however short or long they were. I don't play RPGs to see the ending--sometimes I do and that's cool. I spent hundreds of hours on Morrowind/Oblivion and never once did the main campaign quests. Mostly I just want to have a good experience exploring a story/world. I honestly enjoy questing (Suramar was my favorite part of legion end game, for example).

    For a new players, I like what FF14 does--no matter when you start--you get to progress through the entire game's story, including patch stories. It doesn't matter how much you do--do a bit and then come back latter--I play it intermittently and enjoy the story when I have the time. Due to the way it is designed, at no point does the world or content feel unpopulated. I feel bad that WoW didn't take that path--that so much old content was discarded. But many players do focus on end game and prefer to play multiple characters at end game. I understand why they did it--it's just not for me.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylanthia View Post
    Sometimes it's nice to re-experience the journey---remember fond experiences, etc. It's like when I start a new Baldur's Gate 2 campaign. I've started dozens over the year--but I only ever beat the game once. I don't really consider that time wasted because I enjoyed those playthroughs--however short or long they were. I don't play RPGs to see the ending--sometimes I do and that's cool. I spent hundreds of hours on Morrowind/Oblivion and never once did the main campaign quests. Mostly I just want to have a good experience exploring a story/world. I honestly enjoy questing (Suramar was my favorite part of legion end game, for example).

    For a new players, I like what FF14 does--no matter when you start--you get to progress through the entire game's story, including patch stories. It doesn't matter how much you do--do a bit and then come back latter--I play it intermittently and enjoy the story when I have the time. Due to the way it is designed, at no point does the world or content feel unpopulated. I feel bad that WoW didn't take that path--that so much old content was discarded. But many players do focus on end game and prefer to play multiple characters at end game. I understand why they did it--it's just not for me.
    Even ff14 reworked the leveling. It was atrociously bad. Companies are learning people don't want to level through 10+ years are old content so they can play the game.

    Imagine if wow never changed leveling, ever.

    "Hey man do you want to play wow/ff14 with me?"

    "Sure!"

    "Buuuuuut..... first you need to play 20+ days /played to play with me... enjoy!"

    Its the sole reason why i can't get the 4 others i do m+ with to play ff14 during content droughts in wow. Its incredibly boring for a mediocre story. Much better left in single player games or new mmos that don't have 10+ years of history.

  5. #105
    Agreed that the new leveling experience is much, much better than the old one. I just created a bunch of allied race characters to level up in the following months, something that seemed like a ridiculous time sink earlier. Now it seems doable, and the experience is fun. Being able to choose any expansion to level in is awesome.

    Two minor complaints:

    - In Chromie Time, in Legion invasions / assaults, most enemies are scaled to player level, but some aren't. The ones that aren't are level 45 or 46 and they tend to be interspersed with the ones that are scaled, are part of the same pull group, or even spawn from the ones that are scaled. The non-scaled enemies are therefore clearly an error, and create an unfortunate experience for a player who is too low level.

    - If you select Cataclysm, you still can't go to Uldum, Vashj'ir, Mount Hyjal, Deepholm, Twilight Highlands before level 30. Instead, you're forced to do revamped vanilla zones from 10 - 30. That feels ... odd, and is exactly the opposite of what I want.

  6. #106
    I really wonder what people do to take only 7-10 hours for 1-50.

    I am almost level 20 and I have 7-8 hour of /played, I doubt I will take only other 2-3 hours to get to 50.

    Ok, i “wasted” 1 hour to explore Exile’s Reach in every possible way (I even circumnavigated the island swimming) to see if there were some sort of Easter eggs, but even going faster and not reading quests or looting mobs I doubt I would be around 40 now.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Elodeon View Post
    - If you select Cataclysm, you still can't go to Uldum, Vashj'ir, Mount Hyjal, Deepholm, Twilight Highlands before level 30. Instead, you're forced to do revamped vanilla zones from 10 - 30. That feels ... odd, and is exactly the opposite of what I want.
    I can't imagine doing those sub level 30, which is when you get to learn to fly.
    They'd actually have to re-do the quests to include taxies everywhere if they wanted to make those available early on.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    I really wonder what people do to take only 7-10 hours for 1-50.

    I am almost level 20 and I have 7-8 hour of /played, I doubt I will take only other 2-3 hours to get to 50.

    Ok, i “wasted” 1 hour to explore Exile’s Reach in every possible way (I even circumnavigated the island swimming) to see if there were some sort of Easter eggs, but even going faster and not reading quests or looting mobs I doubt I would be around 40 now.
    Which timeline did you choose to level trough?

    I went trough WoD;
    Frostfire ridge: lvl 10-30
    Gorgrond: lvl 30-38
    Spires of Arak: lvl 38-45
    Nagrand: lvl 45-50 (I hit level 50 with 2 plot-lines left to do)
    Last edited by Zmagoslav; 2020-10-19 at 05:47 AM.

  8. #108
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    15,821
    It’s a bit to fast for me just doing some bg’s got me to 20 before I finished the first small area of hollowing fjord unless bg xp drops off super hard I’ll likely be 50 before I finish the fjord let alone get to zul,drak or ice crown.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    I can't imagine doing those sub level 30, which is when you get to learn to fly.
    They'd actually have to re-do the quests to include taxies everywhere if they wanted to make those available early on.



    Which timeline did you choose to level trough?

    I went trough WoD;
    Frostfire ridge: lvl 10-30
    Gorgrond: lvl 30-38
    Spires of Arak: lvl 38-45
    Nagrand: lvl 45-50 (I hit level 50 with 2 plot-lines left to do)
    I’m leveling in MoP after having done 1-10 in ER.

  10. #110
    Been really enjoying it, but I still feel the overall mob scaling is too low.

    I don't want classic slow, but when I can pull 4-5 mobs easily and mow everything down and end at 90% hp with 0 chance of death without using cooldowns it makes the combat boring.

  11. #111
    The Lightbringer Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orbis Terrarum
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    The reason i put the end in quotation marks is there is no real end to wow. That much i agree with but the rest is too incoherent to really understand.
    Leveling was too long and messy in terms of story (Warchiefs changing back and forth). People wanted to get over it ASAP, hence the popularity of heirlooms and 100% bonus exp buff. That's why the SL overhaul is so popular.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

  12. #112
    So far my only issue is you'll be cruising along and then all of a sudden you hit some mobs that just aren't scaling right/aren't scaling at all and they just wreck you.

    Was leveling my DI War in Stormheim and got to the quests where you go into Helheim. Was destroying everything until I gained a level (think it was 36) and then all of a sudden some of the mobs would just destroy me and I could barely handle one or two at a time. Never mind the rares in the zone, some of them were no problem, one of them absolutely destroyed me and one was still lvl 45.

    Otherwise I'm happy, even if I wish heirlooms had better set bonuses overall. I've yet to have that level explosion happen when I was actually in combat.

  13. #113
    Agreed. I started leveling in Legion and my character just feels... better?

    Before i zoned in, was able to fly and just started Invasion hopping while ignorign any story related stuff, because it was just to much at once. Now i can start legion like it was back when it cam out. Just feels better and i get a connection to my character.

  14. #114
    They could have tuned some things in old zones. There are still quest items with long ass cooldowns that are required to be used multiple times in Northrend and - I assume - Outland. Or following NPCs that are slower than ground mount.

    Overall, however, I like the change. It feels nice to be able to level however the hell you want.

  15. #115
    The Lightbringer Azerox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    3,359
    Jup it is nice.
    Just another step up from the previous change.
    I love play out entire zones and follow the funny stories.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

  16. #116
    For now I have only done Exile's Reach and I enjoyed it a lot. Feels like a completely different game from the usual leveling zones.

    We get a story, we get Voice Acting, we are introduced to the abilities of classes, in short this is how WoW should be in 2020. Here is hoping that SLs will play the same during leveling.

  17. #117
    Brewmaster Whitedragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Definitely not behind you
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Well - it isn't good for everyone.

    Will take me a week or so to get from 45 to 50.

    Killing level equivalent mobs for 22 xp a pop means my rested bar isn't going anywhere, and at 6k a quest it is going to be a long trip.
    do you only play in micro bursts? I pushed a toon from 10 to 50 today in about 10 hours (with some minor downtimes here and there), I found I was usually leveling once every quest set from 10-25 or so, then it slowed down to every other quest set until 50. so about 4-5 quest pre 25 and 8-12 post.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Leveling was too long and messy in terms of story (Warchiefs changing back and forth). People wanted to get over it ASAP, hence the popularity of heirlooms and 100% bonus exp buff. That's why the SL overhaul is so popular.
    I still love it when ever that one screenshot pops up showing off not one not two but three warchiefs all standing in the room at the same time due to wonky progression points.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    I felt kind of dickish in exiles reach 1 shotting everything when a new player was running up to attack a mob
    I think Exile's Reach shows how badly some classes are at low levels. For instance on my hunter I was 1-2 shotting most mobs while on my warlock it was taking 3-4 shadowbolts and corruption wasn't worth putting up.

    Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    I was judging all its content from a new player point of view... I thought it was great how it showed a little piece of most of the substantial things WoW has to offer. But having an Elite doing less damage than a quest boss was a little underwhelming. And well, this is not an isolated case, it's the case of almost any other zone right now. The "Recommended players [3]" warning in the quest log is not really accurate at all.

    It shouldn't be Classic level of difficulty because we know this "Era" of players appreciate instant gratification in games, but it could be just a little more difficult.
    I think this goes with my above comment. Depending on class depends on how hard the elite was. On my lock it was hitting me for about 1/3 of my health most of the time and had to drain life for awhile while a couple other classes barely took damage. This was also with the heirlooms so I had stats in most slots that were scaling so more stamina.

  19. #119
    I think it's great and not too short at all. It has a nice pacing: New abilities, talents and riding skills come in at a steady rate with enough time in between to get used to them.

    As a veteran player for me it could even go a little bit faster still. Keep in mind that new players would level much slower. They probably read more of the quest text (at least i hope so..) and are just not as effective over all. So i think between 20 and 30 hours playtime for a newbie before he or she can join the real fun with their friends is more than enough. Any longer and we just discourage new players to begin the game.

    You could say that new players can use the "free" boost and get started that way. Although that is correct i would not recommend it. Leveling a char to max level is a good way for a new player to be introduced into the game now.

  20. #120
    I've always liked levelling in wow, and so far I really enjoy the new way. Old ways of levelling was "long", but the new one is more "wide" - a single character can make max level quickly, but that just gives me the opportunity to level many of them!

    For me, the best change ever to levelling was world scaling; before that I had to level with white gear just to get some sort of decent, coherent experience at times. With world scaling you can at least complete a zone. (I once levelled a warrior from 80 to 85 just through Vasjh'ir and I didn't even get to the end; at 85 the "old expac" buff kicked in an mobs started exploding when I looked at them.) Taking a character from 10 to 50 through an entire expac is perfect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •