Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Jackie Chan and Jet Li Replacements?

Hello!

I have been a loving Jet Li's and Jackie Chan movies since young teens.
    While i was watching a The Foreigner, Jackie Chan looks old, and Jet Li is getting to the ages.
    So i was wondering, what actors do we have upcoming which are their equals?

Also if you recommend an actor equal to them, please recommend a good movie with that actor aswell

Quote Originally Posted by zetitup View Post
    Hello!

While i was watching a The Foreigner, Jackie Chan looks old, and Jet Li is getting to the ages.

Also if you recommend an actor equal to them, please recommend a good movie with that actor aswell
    Probably some native american transsexual or whatever is the ‘in’ minority society feels offended enough about and is up for some positive discrimination the year they need a new Jet Li or Jackie.

You know, how they did Annie, spider man, the karate kid, batwoman, etc.

Infracted for off-topic flaming.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2020-10-18 at 08:34 PM.

I quite like Donnie Yen
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    I quite like Donnie Yen
    He's as old as Jet Li (both 57), so not really part of a new generation.

Really good though, I agree with that. Ip man is fantastic.

I quite like Donnie Yen
    But he is the same age as Jet!

There was a time when Tony Jaa was pretty hyped after Ong Bak and Revenge of the Warrior (shit Story but really nice fighting scenes). It all went to shit when Tony Jaa suddenly tried to change Ong Bak 2 into some mystical thai story Bullshit everyone hated.

Donnie Yen is great in the Ip-Man-Movies, besides that i didnt like the other movies staring him.
    Last edited by Aradur; 2020-10-18 at 08:26 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think the problem is that so much martial arts type fighting has moved into other genres, hell even superhero movies. I mean, just look at the character black widow, first marvel movie that was supposed to come out this year, hard for actual martial arts movies to make it with all those explosions n cgi added..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-10-18 at 08:31 PM.

I quite like Donnie Yen
    He's been around for about as long as Li and Jackie, he's just been a bit stuck in China, like Chow Yun-Fat and Sammo Hung.
    I'd say Tony Jaa, but he is getting up there in age as well.

As for newer guys, the best I can think of are probably in their 40s already. Scott Adkins, Lateef Crowder, the lead from The Raid. There is likely a reason for this, and it seems that China has been gearing up for more epics, and martial arts movie as a whole have been on the downswing since the 80s into the early 90s. With recent "martial arts" movie tending to focus around a famous actor doing their own stunts or being swapped for an unknown stunt man who will never get face time... The time of the action star which includes martial artists is probably over. Honestly Scott Adkins, Lateef, Mark Zaror would have been way over by now if they were around in the late 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    Donnie Yen is great in the Ip-Man-Movies, besides that i didnt like the other movies staring him.
    If you don't mind wi-fu, The Iron Monkey is an exceptional film.

Beyond that, yes he is unfortunately the same age as Jet Li so not so much part of the new wave.

Having said that, the owner of Alibaba sponsored a martial arts film called Gong Shou Dao and starring himself where he beat a bunch of martial arts legends (including Donnie Yen and Jet Li!) so you never know !

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's like Bruce Lee there will only be one of each, and honestly after them I think it's the end of that generation the up and coming actions stars will always draw on something different for new audiences.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Daniel Wu made a good impression in "Into the Badlands."

Honestly, I don't think you're going to find a Jackie Chan/Jet Li type movie anymore unless it involves that fantastical flying ki bullshit they want to put into martial arts movies anymore ala Crouching Tiger.

It's a shame. You want to watch said martial arts in these movies, but they jump cut it to shit like the Jason Bourne movie and you don't see a full fight sequence.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by zetitup View Post
    Hello!

Tony Jaa is pretty good but I think he’s died down a bit. Would love to see more movies with him.
    Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhian, both from The Raid and The Raid 2: Redemption (the two I’ve seen with them having bigger roles), are both amazing.

It’d be cool to get someone new. Haven’t seen a movie with good fight scenes in a while.

All these American action movies have such trash fight scenes and ridiculous editing cuts every .5 seconds because the actual actors can’t really fight.

Gives me a headache and looks like crap.

Iko Uwais, of The Raid.

There's many extreme talented martial artists that do well on the screen, but sadly, the era of martial arts movies is over.

The cost of making quality movies are too high vs paying audience, and fresh good plotlines centered around martial artists are hard to come by. And the few times it's fittings, they still chose the good old boys, Byron Mann was a fresh face to me a few years ago, and he had pushed 50 by then, and even Tiger Chen is 45.

It has been somewhat/very successful to combine martial arts with (action)comedy, since it's easy to watch and the fighting scenes can be longer, but it feels like comedy is a dying movie-genre as well.

The Ip Man trilogy was great movies, but apart from higher movie quality and variations in the history told, it was nothing I hadn't seen before.

And in line with how "martial arts" now either are MMA-friendly or bust, the fighting scenes we do see on the screen mostly has to be brutal, quick and effective instead of flashy.

I hope I'm wrong and that we soon see a new generation of martial artists on the screen.

I liked Andrew Koji in Warrior. Olivia Cheng isn't a martial artist but her gymnastics training allows her to fake it pretty well. Gymnastics and dance are arguably more useful to have on screen than being an actual martial artist.

3rd season ended relatively recently.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's lots of great martial artist actors, so I think we will continue to see new generational Jet Lis. I don't know that they will be as well known as Jet Li, but skill wise they exist and will continue to exist.

Jackie Chan is a lot harder to "replace" both because of his special level of crazy but also his fantastical physical comedy. He's more than just a skilled action star in a lot of ways.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Probably some native american transsexual or whatever is the ‘in’ minority society feels offended enough about and is up for some positive discrimination the year they need a new Jet Li or Jackie.

You know, how they did Annie, spider man, the karate kid, batwoman, etc.

Infracted for off-topic flaming.
    No offence but is it rly for an ban tho?,he or she speaks the truth here.Why silence someone if this is going on for quite some time now,they are destroying the movie industry by catering to this minority since they still wont come to the cinemas anyway.