Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

CA Official Vote Drop Box Set on Fire

I dont know much about factchecking. But this appeared on Fox News, so it could be as credible as a random laptop story. So I'll just leave it here.

Local journalists report.
    Ballot drop box lit on fire in Baldwin Park
    A ballot drop box was lit on fire in Baldwin Park on Sunday night.

Why hasnt the CA GOP issued a statement yet?
    Government Affiliated Snark

Wow, so the fire department had to CUT INTO the dropbox to open it up? It's so secure they needed heavy equipment and didn't have access to a key? Seems unsafe!

Hope they've got cameras to find whoever did this, that's some felony level arson right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    , that's some felony level arson right there.
    It's literal election fraud.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.foxla.com/news/fbi-notif...n-baldwin-park
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Stringini
    BALDWIN PARK, Calif. - The Los Angeles County Registrar’s office will be increasing how frequently ballots are picked up from drop boxes after a ballot box was set on fire in Baldwin Park, prompting an arson investigation.

Crews responded to the 4100 block of Baldwin Park Boulevard, outside the Baldwin Park Library, around 8:30 p.m. Sunday night and quickly put out the fire. There were a number of ballots inside the box.

County officials last picked up ballots from the drop box location on Saturday, Oct. 17 at 10:10 a.m., according to the county's registrar's office.

Arson investigators were on the scene and turned their evidence over to the Baldwin Park Police Department.

No arrests have been made and no suspect has been identified.

The registrar’s office immediately requested an investigation through local law enforcement and has reported the incident both to the FBI and the Attorney General for investigation and to obtain all available footage to determine the cause of the fire.

The registrar’s office is reviewing all material collected and will notify voters whose ballots may have been impacted. Additionally, the damaged drop box location has been closed, officials said.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda L. Solis said this arson case "calls into question the security of our elections" and "has all the signs of an attempt to disenfranchise voters."

"Tampering, or attempts to tamper, with our democracy will not be tolerated. Rest assured, LA County residents’ voices will be heard when they vote, including in this election," Solis added.

Voters can call the county registrar-recorder/county clerk if they submitted their ballot at the Baldwin Park Library Dropbox to verify their ballot was received and take any remedial measures.

The registrar’s office encourages those who utilized this drop box location after Oct. 17 to call *snipped* for assistance.
    The written article for the story above. I snipped the phone number and e-mail for assistance from the article, since I expect mmo-c to have more bots scraping it for the purpose of spamming than the original source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I'm confident that this has absolutely nothing to do with the orange piece of shit in the White House constantly demonizing voting. Nothing at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could this be someone attempting to nefariously abrogate the democratic process by torching a ballot box? Yes.

Could this also be some jag off tossing a cigarette butt into a ballot box? Also Yes.

Potentially both.

I’d say that as a large-scale voter suppression tactic this is a pretty poor one. Especially considering it’s in California and in Baldwin park, no less, where I very much doubt the democrats are at much risk of losing anything, one ballot box aside.

But of course, trump and co were always about message over any actual result or action, so I don’t expect his followers, presuming this to be one given trumps support of degrading the electoral process, to really have anything but knee-jerk, baser-instinct driven actions in mind.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-10-19 at 07:02 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Could this be someone attempting to nefariously abrogate the democratic process by torching a ballot box? Yes.

Could this also be some jag off tossing a cigarette butt into a ballot box? Also Yes.

Potentially both.

I’d say that as a large-scale voter suppression tactic this is a pretty poor one. Especially considering it’s in California and in Baldwin park, no less, where I very much doubt the democrats are at much risk of losing anything, one ballot box aside.

But of course, trump and co were always about message over any actual result or action, so I don’t expect his followers, presuming this to be one given trumps support of degrading the electoral process, to really have anything but knee-jerk, baser-instinct driven actions in mind.
    Given that this isn't an open bin you can simply flick a cigarette in and it's very clearly labeled as an official ballot drop-off box, it's incredibly hard to imagine that this could have been an innocent mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I'm not voting until November 3rd. Doing it in person to not take any chances of some fuckery going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if your party needs to suppress the vote in order to win, maybe your party should rethink its platform . . .

*Principle Skinner meme*

No it's the voters who are wrong.
    Putin khuliyo

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The good news is that it couldn't happen in a better state. IIRC, Hillary-and-her-emails won by 4,000,000 votes in 2016, so those fuckwits in the GOP Violent Brigades are going to have to torch a LOT more boxes to fuck up the end results in that state. If they had any brains at all, which apparently they do not, they would start these shenanigans in battleground states.

Charge whoever did it with a felony count of election fraud for every single ballot that burned.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's literal election fraud.
    I could four separate felonies if the DA wants to have some fun.

Arson
    Election Fraud
    Mayhem (not kidding)
    Willful Endangerment

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Charge whoever did it with a felony count of election fraud for every single ballot that burned.
    I like the way you think.

Hopefully people who put their ballots there will see the news and be able to request new ballots. Shouldn't be an issue getting new ballots in time since today is the last day to register to vote in California.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Trump's brownshirts were supposed to be on guard.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Historically, brownshirts like to burn the written word.

Why is everyone assuming it was a trump person that did it? There are more elections going on that just the presidential election. There are tons of local and state elections. Could easily have been someone from either party that is running for local/state office too. We literally have zero facts.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-10-20 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Why is everyone assuming it was a trump person that did it? There are more elections going on that just the presidential election. There are tons of local and state elections. Could easily have been someone from either party that is running for local/state office too. We literally have zero facts.
    I'm willing to make a bet with you on this one, if you like.

Considering the push that mail-in ballots and the drop boxes are fraudulent is a line pushed by Trumpsters, it seems like the likely scenario. Would you be willing to wage money on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is everyone assuming it was a trump person that did it?
    Because the California GOP has already openly admitted to electoral fraud through their fake dropbox nonsense, so what's a little arson to top that off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    They were. They were guarding the (mostly Democrat) ballots from ever being counted.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Trump supporters aren't the most stable individuals, and this is a ballot box in LA. It is more probable that a cultist would commit arson in a blue county in a state where the GOP is blatantly committing election fraud than the idea that a democrat would.

A quick google has LA voting over 70% democrat in 2016.
    https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-...oting-history/

We have enough facts for speculation, and more than enough to shoot down your "both sides" scenario as being very unlikely.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2020-10-20 at 02:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Trump has been busy telling his cult that mail in voting is rife with fraud and isn't safe, it's going to rig the election and so on for months now.

That's why.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers