Why not have a dedicated culture war thread?

It's pretty obvious that some people want to discuss culture war topics (e.g. BLM vs. the Proud Boys) and they regularly bring up those topics on OT and Politics subforum regardless of the rules. At the moment it just results in people looking for the flimsiest excuse to derail a thread into a culture war topic until it inevitably gets locked. The high # of locked threads on politics subforum is proof enough of that.

Why not just have a megathread dedicated to culture war topics to keep all of that stuff contained there? No one will stop trying to discuss those topics anytime in the near future and it will just result in more and more normal threads being derailed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    It's pretty obvious that some people want to discuss culture war topics (e.g. BLM vs. the Proud Boys) and they regularly bring up those topics on OT and Politics subforum regardless of the rules. At the moment it just results in people looking for the flimsiest excuse to derail a thread into a culture war topic until it inevitably gets locked. The high # of locked threads on politics subforum is proof enough of that.

Why not just have a megathread dedicated to culture war topics to keep all of that stuff contained there? No one will stop trying to discuss those topics anytime in the near future and it will just result in more and more normal threads being derailed.

Because the point of making those specific topics against the rules is what it always brings out of people: flaming, personal attacks, harsh and perverse language, bad faith arguments/discussion... which are all also against the rules. Having a mega-thread to contain all discussion about the topic doesn't stop the flaming, personal attacks... you name it. So why would they do this?

I would say half the reason it's not getting better is because people are not getting better.

I know they say moderation is an issue in terms of manpower, but perhaps if they recruited 2 new moderators dedicated solely to a mega-thread about such "culture war" topics, and these moderators were on 24/7 to police everything being said (fairly and unbiased, of course)... then hey, maybe it could work.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2020-10-19 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post
    Because the point of making those specific topics against the rules is what it always brings out of people: flaming, personal attacks, harsh and perverse language, bad faith arguments/discussion... which are all also against the rules. Having a mega-thread to contain all discussion about the topic doesn't stop the flaming, personal attacks... you name it. So why would they do this?

I would say half the reason it's not getting better is because people are not getting better.

I know they say moderation is an issue in terms of manpower, but perhaps if they recruited 2 new moderators dedicated solely to a mega-thread about such "culture war" topics, and these moderators were on 24/7 to police everything being said (fairly and unbiased, of course)... then hey, maybe it could work.
    You don't need to police people. Let them fight it out in the culture war megathread. Eventually they will burn themselves out and stop posting or ease off. This is essentially the point of a culture war megathread. Organized fighting (e.g. boxing or MMA) instead of street brawls with random people in the crossfire.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need to police people. Let them fight it out in the culture war megathread. Eventually they will burn themselves out and stop posting or ease off. This is essentially the point of a culture war megathread. Organized fighting (e.g. boxing or MMA) instead of street brawls with random people in the crossfire.
    I see where you are coming from, but I don't think that really applies to this website let alone any online based discussion forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like you just want to be able to flame people.

Start your own website, and do it.

Sounds like the Politics forum already.