Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by treekush View Post
    Who the hell gires these programmers...
    Reroll feral and it's gone.

  2. #122
    What about people farming leather? I've come across a few druids spamming starfall (?) and they would pull so much they made it harder to actually complete the quest there.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesshin83 View Post
    Well, it seems to annoy the right people so its fine I think.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Because it lead go "degenerete" gameplay to use Ions own words. Too often people just rounded up 10 mobs, giving the healer heart attack and aoed everything. Its fun once and a while but when people try it all the time and it causes wipes in dungeons for the sake of boring gameplay then I think its a good change.
    I see nothing wrong to pul big AOE packs once im geared enough .. Its a ' reward ' for my grind is it not ?
    Even so, retarded team can be retarded no matter of their gear and AOE cap or no cap cannot change or negate that. Idiots will always find new ways to cause wipe. At least without aoe cap sometimes we could even survive with random stuns / traps / kiting etc.

  4. #124
    I cannot tell how it feels when we do SL endgame (it's just another balancing lever), but the target cap should be deactivated if we are in legacy mode/content.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by treekush View Post
    Who the hell gires these programmers...
    It worked just fine for over a decade. They're just reintroducing a feature that was stupid to remove to begin with.

    It doesn't make much sense that a hunter can shoot 40 arrows at the same time, even 5 requires some suspension of disbelief. Fire raining down from the sky on the other hand makes complete sense that it would hit everything in the area.

    It's a distinction between AOE and Cleave that frankly makes complete logical sense and at the same time giving different classes different strengths and weaknesses.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodKazekage View Post
    But why not let players make that decision for themselves ? Just seems like a weird change to limit player mistakes
    Because human beings are not the brightest and they need protection from themselves from time to time.

  7. #127
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    That sounds pretty much like what I said? Prior to 2.2 there was no damage cap / damage out put so that was somewhat different though a couple abilities were capped (like whirlwind), but not many. Then 2.2.0 to 3.3.0 looks like cap was at 20 then briefly 3.3.0 to 5.2.0 they swapped it to a different system that capped it at 10 on total damage it looks like, but still damage on more mobs just lowered the value it did. So say up to 10k on 10 mobs (1k each), but with 20 it did 500 resulting in same damage. Then 5.2.0 to 8.3 went back to 20 and worked like previously.

    So back then you could still hit as many targets as you wanted, but after it hit X number it started do Z damage instead of Y.
    No, from 2.2.0 until 3.3.0 the cap was on total damage, not 10 target's damage spread out. So if your spell's damage cap was 5K, and you were doing 2K per target, the damage capped at 2.5 targets. Thus past a certain point on large AoE pulls you gear didn't matter.

    Mind you, we're talking about a time in the game when one fight's strat had a Warlock tank one phase (Leotheras), and another had add waves that were sometimes tanked by a Holy Paladin because healer threat was the fastest AoE threat over large number of mobs streaming in (especially a Paladin with Righteous Fury turned on).

    It was a very different game back then in so many ways.

  8. #128
    Agreed, it's annoying and serves no purpose.

  9. #129
    Banned FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    22,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with an AE cap, but the way they implemented it sucks. Instead of only allowing abilities to hit 5 targets, they should split damage meteor-style past 5. So:

    1 target = 100 damage
    2 targets = 100 damage each * 2 = 200 total
    3 targets = 100 damage each * 3 = 300 total
    4 targets = 100 damage each * 4 = 400 total
    5 targets = 100 damage each * 5 = 500 total
    6 targets = 83 damage each * 6 = 500 total
    7 targets = 71 damage each * 7 = 500 total
    ...
    11 targets = 45 damage each * 11 = 500 total
    ...
    27 targets = 18 damage each * 27 = 500 total

    This way you won't have mobs taking damage unevenly and tanks will be able to maintain AE threat. You still wouldn't benefit from pulling more than 5 mobs at a time, but at least it wouldn't be a huge pain in the butt.

    This isn't exactly a groundbreaking stroke of brilliance on my part. It's how AE worked in previous expansions. I believe Cataclysm did it this way and it worked perfectly fine.
    That is literally how it works with tank ablites as you said
    "This way they wont worry about aoe threat"








    btw can i just say fuck wowhead?
    Showing ablities here like havoc which have ALWAYS BEEN 2 targets, leading people to go "see they have this many!" no you are including abilities that fundimentally are not aoes, like havoc, and chimera shot, these are cleave abilities not aoe.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    What about people farming leather? I've come across a few druids spamming starfall (?) and they would pull so much they made it harder to actually complete the quest there.

    yep yep.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesshin83 View Post
    Well, it seems to annoy the right people so its fine I think.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Because it lead go "degenerete" gameplay to use Ions own words. Too often people just rounded up 10 mobs, giving the healer heart attack and aoed everything. Its fun once and a while but when people try it all the time and it causes wipes in dungeons for the sake of boring gameplay then I think its a good change.
    Yes because we're expected to believe that people don't use disc and thus every large pull is a surprise in 2020.

  11. #131
    Banned FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    22,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    from a RP pov it doesnt make sense, if my warrior holding 2 axes starts spinning doing a whirlwind hes gonna hit all around him, but i guess aoe should also hit friendly targets then
    whirlwind has literally hit 5 targets since vanilla. only changed in cata, and then later changed back.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by leorana View Post
    Idk...some of it doesn't make sense...

    I can see an AoE cap for spells that transfer from one target to another. (chain lightning) or diminishing targets/dmg, but exploding spells make no sense. If a bomb goes off while 5 ppl are in the blast radius - they all get hit.
    You say that but it actually makes 100% sense.
    if you have 1 person on a grenade they will die, but pile 10 people onto it maybe 1 will die and the rest will be fine, explosions dont create infinite damage, literally the whole thing of "jump on the grenade save the rest of the people" explosions surprising or not, as shrapnel and shockwaves hit stuff, they are reduced in power...

    stand within a mile of a bomb going off you very much can die. but put it a mile underwater and you on a boat and now suddenly you are fine. the more stuff something hits the weaker it gets.

  12. #132
    Immortal Nnyco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Haomarush
    Posts
    7,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Agree. Don't make changes to the whole game because of M+
    Lack of cap in aoe wasnt just a problem in m+.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Could you explain why instead of making a reactionary comment?
    because he doesnt like it.

    its not going away btw, no matter how much you want it to.

  14. #134
    Banned FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    22,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Agree. Don't make changes to the whole game because of M+
    man yeah i wish we could go all the way back to vanilla and TBC when they added aoe Caps to fix Mythic plus!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilo View Post
    Only thing I'm not a fan of is the inconsistency. If they were to introduce a soft cap of 5 with diminishing returns above that, I would be perfectly fine with it. Every spell being different from 3 targets to unlimited is just fotming waiting to happen.
    It goes from spell to spell cause some are different then others.

    tanks need aoes to pull aggro
    casters who need to place aoes that then stay there need less of a cap, then melee who do the aoe instanlty, or can move while doing the Aoe.

  15. #135
    Bloodsail Admiral czarek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    zug zug
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    I think it's a good change. Pulling the entire dungeon at once shouldn't be a legitimate strategy.
    Why? Thats fun. Isnt it ? Why not. Explain please.

  16. #136
    It's part of the server optimization they have been slowly implementing (like the GCD changes). One step forward consoles release.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by treekush View Post
    Who the hell gires these programmers...
    Like everyone else said. Make a case why it should go or stay? Not a post to get many reactions.


    For instance, my opinion: I dislike it so far ( the cap). My Aoe classes feel limited, my farms in dungeons/raids are slower. It feels like a thing that is added to make the game go slower, or huge mob pulls go slower.
    So not a fan of it right now.

    But maybe time will tell.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    Why? Thats fun. Isnt it ? Why not. Explain please.
    It's fine to be a legit strategy, the issue comes when it's the most effective strategy, because then everybody is forced to do it to be competitive. As usual Blizzard nerfed with a sledgehammer rather than a scalpel, and did a tremendous amount of damage to the rest of the game to fix what they really saw as a problem only in M+.

    They should increase the cap to 10 and split damage past 10 meteor-style. If they really want M+ to have to pull every single group, special-case its cap to 5.

  19. #139
    I got it.

    1. Cap all these shits.
    2. Second or third patch hits; introduce forever to farm, time gated, rare dropping additional components for Legionaries that remove AOE cap.
    3.
    4. Profit.

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    I think it's a good change. Pulling the entire dungeon at once shouldn't be a legitimate strategy.
    But then make the mobs harder so it’s not possible to pull big. Just implementing a cap will just make everything slower and more boring. And if they do make the mobs more challenging then a cap is not really needed because the challenge itself will set a natural cap of how much you can pull.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tesshin83 View Post
    Well, it seems to annoy the right people so its fine I think.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Because it lead go "degenerete" gameplay to use Ions own words. Too often people just rounded up 10 mobs, giving the healer heart attack and aoed everything. Its fun once and a while but when people try it all the time and it causes wipes in dungeons for the sake of boring gameplay then I think its a good change.
    But that’s a freaking game design issue! If you can always round up 10 mobs and AOE them down it’s because the mobs are too easy. Implementing a cap will not make the game more fun.. only slower. If Blizzard don’t want people to pull big in dungeons then they should make it more challenging to pull big instead of just making a lazy solution like a hard-cap on AOE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •