Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Multiboxing - breaking cover!

Try it when it is still available!!

A lot of people dislike multiboxers. Surprisingly, the same people think that multiboxers are some kind of elite, like a mix of advanced sysadmin and a great pianist. It is not true. Multiboxing is all-around 2 macros and 1 keybind!

The first macro is following:
    /follow Main-Character-Name

It makes minions run for main obediently.

The second macro is assisting:
    /assist Main-Character-Name

It makes minions pick up the main's target.

Most probably, you are already familiar with these macros. The third thing likely will be new. It is keybind "interact with target" (IWT).

This keybind does the same as right-clicking. It opens a dialog with NPC, attacks target, etc. IWT is not assigned by default, so casual players don't use it usually. But multiboxers have to use it frequently.

The usability of IWT can be increased by enabling the "click to move" option in WoW settings. If the character is out of interaction range, it will run to target and only then starts interacting.

Damage spells should be bound to the same key, so a single keypress causes all characters to fire. The most useful key for this is the mouse wheel - you can do damage by constantly spinning it.

And this is all! These 5 things are enough to start multiboxing. You bind minions to your main character by following. Then you give them a target by assist and begin damaging. Melee characters can be sent into the attack by IWT. IWT also used to loot dead targets... Profit! WoW is surprisingly suitable for multiboxing.

But, you may say, what about software? It is very complicated and needs a long setup! Well, it depends. If you want to run actual 10 ppl dungeons only by yourself - yes. This needs scripting languages like AutoHotKey or HotKeyNet and requires at least basic programming skills. Or you must use professional multiboxing software like IsBoxer, which is paid and requires setup. However, if all you want is leveling and farming, you can download one of the simple free broadcasters like Levelbuddy.

But multiboxing also requires a second account, isn't it? No, it is not. You can play up to 8 characters on the same account simultaneously. All you need is another WoW subscription, which is free until 20 lvl.

So, please, stop thinking that multiboxers are Atlas and Titans of WoW. They are just unusual players who use some WoW features (which make multiboxing so easy) for fun and profit.

Now you can make your own judgment.
    Last edited by Basil2; 2020-11-04 at 08:22 AM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil2 View Post
    But multiboxing also requires a second account, isn't it? No, it is not. You can play up to 8 characters on the same account simultaneously. All you need is another WoW subscription, which is free until 20 lvl.
    The vast majority of multiboxers I see are max level, so yeah, they need multiple subscriptions at the very least.

The point re: Interact with Target is fascinating. Apart from that, multi-boxing in WoW in 2020 is much like multi-boxing in, say, Dark Age of Camelot in 2003.

Pretty sure the stuff in the software paragraph is largely in violation of ToS.

I don't think anyone things multiboxers are "titans and atlases". I think most people think they're annoying piles of Boomkins farming stuff.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

just make a Realm for multiboxers only , everyone happy they can play and we can play the way we like without bots

You forgot the macro /invite, so you can invite your team with a single button everytime you log in without typing it.

I doubt they just use a follow macro, because your characters wouldn't try to stack into one perfectly pile of eldritch clipping horror otherwise, the "minions" would constantly lag behind, which is very rarely the case with the hundrets of multibox farmers you see outside.

Also most people hate them because they are assholes that make farming a pain in the ass because their existence abuses the spawn rules of herbs/mining nodes in such a way that they get disproportional gain from one node, while also disabling the gameplay systems that Blizzard put in place to allow multiple people to gain from one node.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-10-20 at 01:22 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Pretty sure most people just think of them as selfish borderline-cheaters who ruin the game for others?

I used to pay for one additional account and played warrior tank and had a druid healer run behind me to apply hots. It was fun and I never died, the DPS running with me however... sometimes they died.

Haven't "multi-boxed" in 10 years tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Uthan View Post
    Pretty sure most people just think of them as selfish borderline-cheaters who ruin the game for others?
    Why do multi boxing players ruin the gameplay for others?

Maybe few of them are those that use programs that triplicate or multiply by X characters to do world pvp (battlegrounds do not accept /follow). The other multiboxers are just players that pay 2 or more accounts and want to play them at the same time without ruining other people's gameplay experiences.

Dont understand why people always acuse multiboxers of ruining the gameplay for others.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Dont understand why people always acuse multiboxers of ruining the gameplay for others.
    Well for one, they badly affect the economy by drowning the AH in cheap mats which non-multiboxers has no way to really compete with, and they fuel inflation with raw gold farms (which WoW already has issues with), which coincidentally also raises the token prices for everyone.

Throw in bots to the mix - which aren't banned quickly enough to deter their use - and things get pretty ugly.

Maybe few of them are those that use programs that triplicate or multiply by X characters to do world pvp (battlegrounds do not accept /follow). The other multiboxers are just players that pay 2 or more accounts and want to play them at the same time without ruining other people's gameplay experiences.

Ever tried to go herbing in nazjatar?

They say it because multiboxer "ruin" their economy. It's fine for me, as I do not farm anything at all + I can buy stuff cheap in the AH because of them.

I heavily doubt people see multiboxers as sick elite players. Everyone i know just thinks they obnoxious idiots ruining areas for other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil2 View Post
    A lot of people dislike multiboxers. Surprisingly, the same people think that multiboxers are some kind of elite, like a mix of advanced sysadmin and a great pianist.
    This isn't what people think of multiboxers, and it's not why people dislike them.

On my realm it’s a major annoyance to quest in Stormsong as all the quest areas have multiple groups of druids mass murdering the required quest npcs. Mobs instantly respawn on the spot and give no credit if hit by any of the druids starfall.

10+ Year Old Account

Because they do? I remember it being particularly bad in Legion with this multiboxer running around with five druids, he'd bug out WQs locations by spamming moonfire all over the place and causing some of the mobs he didn't kill to become permantly immune or constantly evade and it was rare you could get a hit on one of the mobs he'd already tagged before it's nameplate went grey and didn't give you credit for the kill, there were other times I saw him despawning herb nodes with one gather and gatherers in the General channel were quite vocal about it and don't even get me started on how his presence in any of the ffa PvP areas meant people had to avoid the area for a good while whenever he bumbled on in.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

I don't know why you made this thread, it's just going to turn into a fight. Sadly it's close to my bed time so I'll have to catch up with you guys tonight when I wake up.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by keldarepewpew View Post
    I heavily doubt people see multiboxers as sick elite players. Everyone i know just thinks they obnoxious idiots ruining areas for other people.
    A better description would be: If you can't solve a problem just throw money at it.
    This will become the new norm in a few years and will alienate a great portion of the playerbase. They have to restrict this immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    A better description would be: If you can't solve a problem just throw money at it.
    This will become the new norm in a few years and will alienate a great portion of the playerbase. They have to restrict this immediately.
    Dunno multiboxers have been around since vanilla, they have always been a niche.

Sending one command per keypress to multiple WOW windows was repeatedly confirmed to not violate the TOS.

The Software AutoIt can do this and it will be fine...

What AutoIt and others can also do: Sending multiple different commands to one or multiple windows by just 1 keypress is against TOS.

you might not like it... but that is why multiboxing is not bannable if you do not combine it with automation/botting (1 keypress or none -> multiple commands send to WoW windows....)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Pretty sure the stuff in the software paragraph is largely in violation of ToS.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...r-legal/198512

You have to understand how Blizzard defines automation

https://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/...and-semantics/

They don't give a fuck that a boxxer presses 1 button and it goes to 700 characters. As long as

Quote Originally Posted by stresskiller View Post
    just make a Realm for multiboxers only , everyone happy they can play and we can play the way we like without bots
    Just make a realm for people who have a problem with multiboxing since that's the smaller crowd

You forgot the macro /invite, so you can invite your team with a single button everytime you log in without typing it.
    I'd also like this macro lol. Although the addon

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/dynamicboxer

Does it for me I'd still like to know what magical no press macro is going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I doubt they just use a follow macro, because your characters wouldn't try to stack into one perfectly pile of eldritch clipping horror otherwise, the "minions" would constantly lag behind, which is very rarely the case with the hundrets of multibox farmers you see outside.
    Actually we do and they do The characters aren't stacking on each other they are following the main and that puts them in the same spot. And there is a delay but it's not much.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself