Poll: What would you pick?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Personally I've become a bit disenchanted with the idea of MMOs.

I'd match rather prefer to see a singleplayer (or small scale multiplayer, such as 1 to 4 players coop) 1st/3rd person Warcraft or Diablo ARPG (think Elder Scrolls style), with focus on world, story and immersion. Or even a Dark Souls-style Diablo game.

As far as MMOs, Sci-fi in general is not a theme I find very compelling, so I would personally prefer to see "WoW2" over any of the ideas mentioned. Be it an actual hard/soft reset on WoW (ie many years in the future or many years in the past, completely new engine built from scratch), or a new franchise with a similar theme of medieval/high/industrial fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Personally I've become a bit disenchanted with the idea of MMOs.

I'd match rather prefer to see a singleplayer (or small scale multiplayer, such as 1 to 4 players coop) 1st/3rd person Warcraft or Diablo ARPG (think Elder Scrolls style), with focus on world, story and immersion. Or even a Dark Souls-style Diablo game.

As far as MMOs, Sci-fi in general is not a theme I find very compelling, so I would personally prefer to see "WoW2" over any of the ideas mentioned. Be it an actual hard/soft reset on WoW (ie many years in the future or many years in the past, completely new engine built from scratch), or a new franchise with a similar theme of medieval/high/industrial fantasy.
    what about mmos has made u disenchanted with them ?

world of starcraft

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    what about mmos has made u disenchanted with them ?
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think mostly that if you take the social components from it, and the "newness" of playing in a persistent world, it becomes a standard RPG that's generally watered down. By this I mean - if you think of any particular included feature, there are other smaller games, in particular singleplayer games, that do it much better.

For instance, looking at the questing experience, most singleplayer RPGs simply offer a much better experience than you can get in WoW. There are only a few exceptions (such as raiding).

Then there's also the fact that MMOs tend to be designed to be played a lot, and to essentially be one's "main game". And after years and years of playing WoW and a couple other MMOs, I just don't feel very compelled to spend months on end playing almost exclusively the same game, especially when there are so many games in my backlog I mean to play/try.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think mostly that if you take the social components from it, and the "newness" of playing in a persistent world, it becomes a standard RPG that's generally watered down. By this I mean - if you think of any particular included feature, there are other smaller games, in particular singleplayer games, that do it much better.

For instance, looking at the questing experience, most singleplayer RPGs simply offer a much better experience than you can get in WoW. There are only a few exceptions (such as raiding).

Then there's also the fact that MMOs tend to be designed to be played a lot, and to essentially be one's "main game". And after years and years of playing WoW and a couple other MMOs, I just don't feel very compelled to spend months on end playing almost exclusively the same game, especially when there are so many games in my backlog I mean to play/try.
    ahh i see what u mean,

i think thats true what ur saying, however thats entirely for current mmos
    i think a an mmo that designs itselfs perfectly eliminates these problems and basically becomes a "dream" game

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    do u think itll ever come ?
    With evolution of technology and networks very certainly so. It will be a big leap, not just a fresh take on an old design. I'm not familiar with anything revolutionary being in development and also don't think the tech and market are there for it yet.