Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tippi View Post
    It's a limited time reward for a 6-month sub, after that you have to straight up buy it and you can't earn it in the game. It could've been a reward for something you do in the game but Blizzard know enough people will just buy it so that's what you get.

On top of that, Blizzard started doing the 6 month sub rewards because they fear a lot of people unsubscribing in that timeframe. So whenever they have a 6 month sub reward, they are signaling to players "there won't be any new content for a while, so we have to trick you into subbing for 6 months".
    I don't think that last point is actually true, because the timing of previous 6-month sub rewards doesn't seem to match up with it. Also, it's obviously not true right now, because the expansion is coming out in probably 4+ weeks, including new content sooner than that, so people are going to have a ton to do for quite a while. So yeah that's definitely not true.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I don't think that last point is actually true, because the timing of previous 6-month sub rewards doesn't seem to match up with it. Also, it's obviously not true right now, because the expansion is coming out in probably 4+ weeks, including new content sooner than that, so people are going to have a ton to do for quite a while. So yeah that's definitely not true.
    Their previous offer is getting close to 6 months ago so time to make a new offer. They absolutely are independent of where the expansion is in development.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Not why they are doing it. These offers have zero to do with the state of the expansion because they do them every six months even when an expansion releases.
    Yeah that was my understanding too. There have been a bunch of these. It seems more like this is seen as a "safe" way to introduce buyable stuff because it causes less of a ruckus than actually putting it into the shop.

Not fond of transmog stuff being shop-bought though.
    "A youtuber said so."

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Not why they are doing it. These offers have zero to do with the state of the expansion because they do them every six months even when an expansion releases.
    Only recently.They used to be more rare. First time was in Cataclysm. People subbed for 6 months and then found out that they got tricked into a 6 month sub during a content drought. That's when more and more people started to be critical of Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah the entirety of BFA was a trainwreck. Subs are bleeding dry. This is to counteract it. That is why they've done it more frequently recently.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the entirety of BFA was a trainwreck. Subs are bleeding dry. This is to counteract it.
    That's not what you just said, though. You just claimed, literally, in your previous post, that it was because of an UPCOMING content drought, not because "BfA was a trashfire" or whatever. That's a completely different claim. Make your mind up.
    "A youtuber said so."

It's a limited time reward for a 6-month sub, after that you have to straight up buy it and you can't earn it in the game. It could've been a reward for something you do in the game but Blizzard knows enough people will just buy it so that's what you get.

On top of that, Blizzard started doing the 6 month sub rewards because they fear a lot of people unsubscribing in that timeframe. So whenever they have a 6 month sub reward, they are signaling to players "there won't be any new content for a while, so we have to trick you into subbing for 6 months".
    I much rather get something for free, or later buy it for 180k through token. then have to pay 2000$ for it (brutosaur)

Goldshire is going to look FABULOUS this season on Moonguard!

That's not what you just said, though. You just claimed, literally, in your previous post, that it was because of an UPCOMING content drought, not because "BfA was a trashfire" or whatever. That's a completely different claim. Make your mind up.
    every time they do a 6 month sub reward it is because they want to tie people to the game

make sure they don't leave because they don't want to play anymore

whether it's because of "no content" or "there is content but it's shit" doesn't matter

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    I much rather get something for free, or later buy it for 180k through token. then have to pay 2000$ for it (brutosaur)
    what does it mean to get it for free? you have someone who buys it for you? why do you keep repeating here that you got this for free?

Quote Originally Posted by MORGATH99 View Post
    no one does
    I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of people who do. I won't buy it because I don't want to but I'm not arrogant enough to confuse my view with everyone's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

every time they do a 6 month sub reward it is because they want to tie people to the game

whether it's because of "no content" or "there is content but it's shit" doesn't matter

- - - Updated - - -

what does it mean to get it for free? you have someone who buys it for you? why do you keep repeating here that you got this for free?
    I got it for free because i have a recurring 6 month sub, and when these get added they just get sent straight to my giftbox, a nice little surprise, ive been doing 6 month subs since like... 2010 so literally i dont care, these are 100% free to me.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

That doesn't make much sense mate. Your argument is so broad, too, that there isn't a time in WoW's history you couldn't argue it was the case.

It looks a lot more like they tried this years ago, and realized that if they keep doing it, they can keep a lot of people renewing 6-month subs when they might otherwise not renew (which happens even when content isn't "shit" or non-existent).
    "A youtuber said so."

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    It's a free reward if you sub for 6 months. Loyalty rewards, veteran rewards, whatever you call them are a pro for the game, not a con. You save money and get free stuff, what is to complain about here?
    Apparently paying for a 6 month sub and getting 1 month free + 1 free item (mount in past, now this) is a bad thing. Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but that's what majority of these people see it as.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Maximum casual trash MTX, ima assume ppl who use this mainly farms tmog with their playtime.
    Out of curiosity what is so wrong with farming transmog during play time? It'd be the same as someone spamming dungeons, islands, quests, M+, raids or farming when they play. You make it sound like a bad thing for wanting to collect various pieces that have been added to the game.

I got it for free because i have a recurring 6 month sub, and when these get added they just get sent straight to my giftbox, a nice little surprise, ive been doing 6 month subs since like... 2010 so literally i dont care, these are 100% free to me.
    well that just means you've paid way more for WoW than most people

It's a limited time reward for a 6-month sub, after that you have to straight up buy it and you can't earn it in the game. It could've been a reward for something you do in the game but Blizzard knows enough people will just buy it so that's what you get.
    All the more reason why it is a loyalty reward. Loyalty rewards are usually time limited offers. If it was an in-game reward for doing something then it wouldn't be the same. It'd be essentially another "quest".

Because you know Blizzard's exact reasoning on things? Sure, this could be it but it could also be they decided to start doing loyalty rewards etc. with this type of system. They could just not offer it individually or say you can't use b.net balance (gold conversion) to purchase it either.

Eh just means they have continually played. There are people who enjoy the game for what it is and don't need to complain about everything or see one thing wrong and go "unsub". Also, over time if they paid for 6 month sub each time they essentially got 20 months free almost 2 years so they'd be paying less than some.

So setting aside the blatant "we need to keep people locked in to pad the numbers for the first quarter of Shadowlands", which does not inspire confidence, for a minute: Whats the deal with mmo players and Wings?

Go back to shit like Aion and Flyff and earlier stuff i can't even remember its like the mmo version of "see that mountain? you can climb it."/"you can do anything". Why are mmo players such suckers for wings added to their character?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Apparently paying for a 6 month sub and getting 1 month free + 1 free item (mount in past, now this) is a bad thing. Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but that's what majority of these people see it as.
    Nobody is saying that getting something for free is bad. That's a straight up strawman. As a mod you should do better.

People don't like it for the reasons I've outlined earlier

It's a cheap trick to get people to sub when normally they probably wouldn't. Yes some people get it "for free" because they'd sub anyway, but you'd also get it for free if it dropped in the game.

Blizzard cares more about extracting extra money from gullible people (you've already paid for the game, any game developer asking for extra money for items deserves the middle finger) than about putting interesting rewards into the game.

As someone has pointed out, this set, even though it looks absolutely horrible in terms of taste, in terms of quality it is better than even the raid sets we got. It took more effort to create this. In the same way that many mounts on the shop are of higher quality than the things we get in the game.

And then look at the sets we get in the content they just released. Exile's Reach. 8 armor sets, but all of them reused, either straight up copied or recolors. They could've taken the time that went into creating this fairy set and actually put it into creating a new set for Exile's Reach. Even if it was just one set, shared by all armor types and by Alliance and Horde, it would have been better than recycling old sets, and selling the new set on the store.

Now I have to ask. What is in it for you? Why do you defend Blizzard over this? There seems to be no reason why you would. All this does is make the game worse.

what? that is not even close to true.
    ive paid less then the average person, cause by paying for 6 months it costs less then people buying 1 month at a time for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    All the more reason why it is a loyalty reward.
    Oh yeah, is it a loyalty reward if you are currently unsubbed, but have played for 16 years? And then you return when this offer expires and have to buy it on the store for 20 bucks?

This is not a loyalty reward. It's a trick to get people to subscribe for 6 months when they otherwise wouldn't.

And if you bring up that some people would be subbed anyway, then how do these people profit from this? If the alternative is to just make it a reward in the game anyone can earn?

I've been playing WoW for 12 years and have been subbed most of the time. I don't want a "loyalty reward" if it means giving Blizzard an excuse to charge extra for items.

- - - Updated - - -

what? that is not even close to true.
    ive paid less then the average person, cause by paying for 6 months it costs less then people buying 1 month at a time for 6 months.
    no, I mean most players don't sub for that long

they might sub for a couple of months every expansion, because they don't play that much

no, I mean most players don't sub for that long

they might sub for a couple of months every expansion, because they don't play that much
    oh you work at blizz? wow didnt know that, only way you could know that.

Hat transmogs were called slippery slope back in old days and now we have full transmog set in shop? And don't tell me, that transmogs aren't goal of game for many players and only character power is true goal, that would turn this game into P2W. Pets are crap. There are mount collectors, but mounts in shop still aren't enough to call this game P2W. But transmogs... Imagine, that raid gear set are obsoleted now, because all the best gear sets will be in shop since now, as it happened with mounts. When Blizzard all of a sudden decided, that sub fee isn't enough to put effort into mount and make something better, than just another recolor. Only extra money are good motivation for them to work a little bit better.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.