Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Why do people freak out about Wow having a cashshop when every other subgame and thier mother has one with a thousands times more items and special content in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    "It's earnable ingame, you just have to buy the tokens and convert them into out-of-game cash," is a facetious argument and we both know it, OP. When people say they want cash shop items to be obtainable ingame, they mean through more than letting Auctionator play the AH for them for a few weeks and bringing out-of-game transactions into the equation at all.
    Then why do people constantly buy shit on the ah instead of farming it? If someone buys the jeweler cats from the ah instead of earning it themselves its the same as someone using the ah to get wow tokens and buy some mount or transmog with wow tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    Not that I agree with the OP, but this is an odd argument. If someone's money is so tight that they can't afford a six month sub, then they can't afford having a WoW sub in the first place. Upfront cost or not.
    That doesn't even make sense, even If someone has a tight week they could still afford a sub at $14.99 vs $77 up front.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Why do people freak out about Wow having a cashshop when every other subgame and thier mother has one with a thousands times more items and special content in them?
    that's how it works. you start small and add little bits here and there, at every step of the way "oh it's not so bad compared to x", until a few years later and suddenly all the good stuff is on the store and they bring out a new $20+ thing every month, and we'll probably reach that point in shadowlands considering were at 1 thing every 3 months in BFA.

but hey at least i haven't heard a developer say "gaming has never been cheaper" for a couple of years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    that's how it works. you start small and add little bits here and there, at every step of the way "oh it's not so bad compared to x", until a few years later and suddenly all the good stuff is on the store and they bring out a new $20+ thing every month, and we'll probably reach that point in shadowlands considering were at 1 thing every 3 months in BFA.

but hey at least i haven't heard a developer say "gaming has never been cheaper" for a couple of years now.
    The cash shop helps supplement the number of players needed to be worth creating new content. Personally I'd rather still be playing wow in 15 years with my sub getting me free stuff while dave buys the new mount from the cash shop.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    The cash shop helps supplement the number of players needed to be worth creating new content. Personally I'd rather still be playing wow in 15 years with my sub getting me free stuff while dave buys the new mount from the cash shop.
    i believe that argument for games that make a reasonable 20% profit, but most games that pull this sort of crap aim for minimum 40% profit margins at which point the amount of good arguments really starts to dry up and start to rely on case by case context.

the increased amount of MTX certainly doesn't seem to correlate to the quality/quantity of content that comes out, and player numbers have been fairly stable last couple of years so it's not really to offset loss of players.

honestly with how blizzard is at the moment, you'd be hard pressed to even make the opportunity cost of making another game argument.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-10-22 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post
    I dont see how hard it is to just put stuff like this on a Dalaran-vendor for gold as well, so you can earn in-game currency to buy stuff like the store-mounts if you want.
    There is a huge difference in doing this, since token prices are variable depending on demand (it is not always the same amount of gold to purchase the same value in blizzard store credit), and on top of that, gold is not lost. Meaning that if you were to give your gold to a vendor, that gold is just deleted from the market (that´s mainly why they keep adding gold sinks like longboi), whereas whenever you purchase a token with gold, your gold goes to another person.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't necessarily think this was intended to be a Store set, but whoever was in charge of their PR and Marketing must realise that something as divisive as selling a transmog set on the store (tied to a six month sub) was a bad idea when they'd decided to delay Shadowlands. I'm sure they'll remember the backlast they recieved from the helms back in MoP when people were being kicked from Raids for transmogging to them.

The issue with the Store is how far is it willing to go. We've had it with Warlords where most of the mounts in game were recolours (I think about 5 of the same wolf) and two completely unique and HQ store mounts and after BFA where transmog has been debatebly some of the worst in recent times (Azshara raid anyone?) a set with high fidelity gets placed on the store. I feel the slippery slope argument is the biggest issue with this, why add Mythic Raid transmogs when you could them in the store and make a tidy profit selling it? It's a concern of many players that a pay to play game is adding more things to the store rather than in game.

The backlash from this has already been clear, the YouTube video is very negative in terms of likes/dislikes, I've heard of people being kicked from groups for wearing it and I've seen people being /spit on as well in a city. Obviously this is a step up from the helms and the first this has been done as an option solo. The only other full transmog set was the Blizzcon outfit.

Personally, I don't like where this is going at all. I'm concerned about the likelihood of a set I think looks cool going to the store instead of earned in game, it was my first reaction and disappointment with the Fae Dragon mount. I won't get this as part of the sub, I pay using tokens converted to Battle.net Balance and Blizzard doesn't allow players to get the mounts/pets/transmog with that method anymore. I might eventually get this set, along with other things near Christmas, as Blizzard usually has a sale around then. I pay for everything with Gold now and have for a while, so financially it's not an issue personally. However I just hope to see no other transmogs in the store and a dedication to rewards earned in game being higher quality than most of BFA.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

They stop making tier sets to focus on 4 per tier (1 for each armor type) that still look worse than most of the old class sets. Now they start selling transmog right after delaying an expansion. Is there really a question as to why people are upset at this? It should at least be free to anyone who had SL pre-ordered when they announced the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Buy tokens with your gold. Add to b.net balance. There..you got it with gold.

Still beyond the point though IMHO. I mean..who the hell is seriously spending 20 dollars on this when you get it for free with a six month sub? Who thinks Wow is so bad, they will only play o1 or 2 months, yet waste 20 dollars on this "unique" transmog?

Oh sure, I hear you say...somebody will. But then we are at this saying about a fool and his money and I really cannot worry about all the idiots in the world who waste their money. And they are free to. All adults, earned it themselves....can do what they want with it. And would rightfully berate anyone who tries to stop them.
    Or just add more mounts to vendors instead of putting stuff on the in-game shop, you can tell they put more detail in many of the items only available through the shop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Errete View Post
    There is a huge difference in doing this, since token prices are variable depending on demand (it is not always the same amount of gold to purchase the same value in blizzard store credit), and on top of that, gold is not lost. Meaning that if you were to give your gold to a vendor, that gold is just deleted from the market (that´s mainly why they keep adding gold sinks like longboi), whereas whenever you purchase a token with gold, your gold goes to another person.
    Why does it need to be purchased with a token specifically, rather than your own earned gold?
    It is not like the possibility to earn gold by the regular ways disappeared when the wow-token came.

Usually stuff that ends up on the store for real life money end up there for different motives than just Blizzard making a new mount for you to get. Can't really say i'm bothered about mounts being on there but I understand why some people are passionately against it.

Sure, I guess they could put this transmog and mounts also on vendors for gold equivalent to the shop price. Wouldn't bother me.

I also think it won't stop the complaints. See an awesome mount / transmog in game on a vendor and surely ppl will complain how they did it to boost token sales

As for detail...just looking at my fresh lv 50 Magthar shaman and that in game armour has pretty sweet detail. So...as with requests before that went unanswered, I'd like examples of mounts in the shop that just blow stuff in game out of the water.

- - - Updated - - -

People for hundreds of posts tell us how fugly the set is and it is free to anyone with a 6 month sub. Add an incentive to a pre-order and what would change? The same people who complain now would complain how a nice reward is just a predatory tactic to get stupid ppl to part with their money.

Just think back to the annual pass: 12 months for the price of 10. Free mount. Free Diablo 3. Yep...people still complained how they were "tricked"
    I dont think people would complain if things would be attainable in-game for gold rather than on the in-game shop.
    Nobody complains about PvP sets being available for marks of honor for example, or the trial of style sets.

I think thats a better way to go about it than putting it on a store for $$$ when customers already pay a monthly sub-fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    i believe that argument for games that make a reasonable 20% profit, but most games that pull this sort of crap aim for minimum 40% profit margins at which point the amount of good arguments really starts to dry up and start to rely on case by case context.

the increased amount of MTX certainly doesn't seem to correlate to the quality/quantity of content that comes out, and player numbers have been fairly stable last couple of years so it's not really to offset loss of players.

honestly with how blizzard is at the moment, you'd be hard pressed to even make the opportunity cost of making another game argument.
    Of course it isn't going to increase quality/quantity as the executives aren't going to let them hire a bunch more people when they can keep the status quo. It will extend the number of years before they let go half of the developers and the times between content extends greatly though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrajishxc View Post
    That doesn't even make sense, even If someone has a tight week they could still afford a sub at $14.99 vs $77 up front.
    If someone has $15 bucks to spend on a game subscription, they should also have the ability to save up $77. If they are doing the former, but cannot do the latter then they just are plainly financially irresponsible.

That is not what I consider being able to afford something.

I dont really mind how affordable the in-game store is, for me it takes the oomph of getting something. Like would getting the brontosaur feel like an achievement if it costed like 10 gold??

Quote Originally Posted by Indres View Post
    (And even at 300K gold its still very cheap).
    Tell me how you would make 300k gold under the current game dynamic, without a massive stockpile of gold already in play from abuse of previous expansions and gold farming techniques?

Dungeon and raid farming has been nuked.
    AH manipulation requires large starting capital.
    Xmog farming is based on luck.
    Gathering is competing against bots and multiboxers.
    Crafting is competing against bots and multiboxers and people who abused previous expansions.

How is a person under today's 9.0 conditions meant to farm any meaningful amounts of gold then?

Buying From the Store is not really a Gold Sink since the gold is not removed from the economy. The AH where you buy the token does not even take a cut to remove even part of the gold either.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Tell me how you would make 300k gold under the current game dynamic, without a massive stockpile of gold already in play from abuse of previous expansions and gold farming techniques?

Dungeon and raid farming has been nuked.
    AH manipulation requires large starting capital.
    Xmog farming is based on luck.
    Gathering is competing against bots and multiboxers.
    Crafting is competing against bots and multiboxers and people who abused previous expansions.

How is a person under today's 9.0 conditions meant to farm any meaningful amounts of gold then?
    Crafting makes you a ton of gold what are you on??? xdd

You dont need a lot of gold to start in the first place. If you dont have a lot of gold you can do leatherworking or legion glyphs. Those have low cost. Later on you can move to blacksmithing and tailoring or even do old expansion stuff. Getting your pandaria farm and garrison set up dont require a lot of gold and can net you a nice profit on the side. I am all for criticizing wow but that making gold is hard is plain retarded
    Last edited by NED funded; 2020-10-22 at 10:33 PM.

Add an incentive to a pre-order and what would change?
    Not an incentive to pre-order. An apology for the delay. Delaying an expansion and then asking for more money/sub time is absolutely insane.
    Last edited by Metriss; 2020-10-22 at 10:30 PM.

...until it works for them. And as usual: You need to make the step in forking over your money. You toooootally do NOT need to pay for something that makes you uncomfortable or that you straight out dislike.

Sure they could make an apology. Even though I am sure this forum would just be all "Lol...suckers....apology is not enough...give me a free year of WoW" and if they did, folks here be like "who wants a free year of diarrhoea?"

But yeah...I guess their statement on why SL was delayed isn't enough of an apology. People want to see devs humiliated and probably publicly cut off their balls and such. Because a delayed game is currently our number ONE problem. (...and I am serious...because if we get hit by another lockdown...wtf is there to do except hoard toilet paper and play WoW?)
    Bro... I don't know what you are talking about or trying to prove. You're making a lot of stuff that I never even said up. I think the delay is good. They didn't have to do anything to apologize, but what they have done is worse than nothing. It seems like they are actively trying to ruin any small amount of goodwill they have left just to make a quick buck. It is ruining their reputation in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    I dont really mind how affordable the in-game store is, for me it takes the oomph of getting something. Like would getting the brontosaur feel like an achievement if it costed like 10 gold??
    Like to see a percentage of people that bought that that abused the mission table in WoD
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM