Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Scarab Lord crakerjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ptwn, Oregon
    Posts
    4,773
    I honestly thought this genre was dying off tbh.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

  2. #22
    Good luck to them, but I suspect that the RTS bus has long since departed the station. Unless you're living in Seoul, perhaps.

  3. #23
    Good news, i will follow them with interest, Love the RTS genre, Red alert. wc1-2-3. sc1-2. All the AOE games, totalwar games and so on!. would love something new and fresh.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    much like games like DoS2 has jumpstarted the CRPG genre.
    did they? I'm definitely not saying divinity is bad but its a niche game with a rather unimpressive player base compared to any other "popular" genre

  5. #25
    raising money on past credentials? Hmm sounds, risky. It's not like they are building a factory etc. Guess people have cash to spare.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    did they? I'm definitely not saying divinity is bad but its a niche game with a rather unimpressive player base compared to any other "popular" genre
    Going from next to no player base to millions of sales is a revival. It's niche, but so were RTS games.

    People always think that RTS were so popular, but they really weren't that widespread, even WCIII sales are estimated in the single digit millions.

  7. #27
    Bloodsail Admiral bledgor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    Because Wowhead posted it, lmao. And they were 20h faster too.

    The only reason it's even "news" is because some former Blizzard employees are in it. Which is a weak argument, because, afaik, this portal (neither Wowhead) are goosip tabloids reporting on what former blizzard employees are doing with their life.
    Was there a post about SCII being discontinued? If not fuck the mods for posting this on the front page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  8. #28
    Non-interesting. >.......>

  9. #29
    Seems very risky to develop a new RTS game these days. There hasn't been a good one for far too long, and most of the ''new'' RTS games we have gotten were all remakes from AoE, C&C, Warcraft/Starcraft etc. They sell just by its IP and nostalgia factor, something these new titles won't have.

    I still hope for them to do well. I doubt that the RTS genre will ever be as alive as it was back in 1995-2005, but I'd be fine if there were just some good new ones to play from time to time. I only hope that they don't try to hard to turn it into an e-sport game and rather focus more on the campaigns.

  10. #30
    Really it's been a good 10-12 years since the rts genre has been very strong outside of high-end esports. Ironically mmo's like wow killed off the heyday of rts games from the 90s through the mid-2000's. There were rts released later, but that's what I think of as rts's time on top.

    With the talent and experience they have it should be good. It will need to be pretty exceptional to keep interest in a rts today, or do something really innovative to inject new life into the genre. I'd think most of that has already been done in one wc3 or sc2 mod or another. But maybe they've got something special up their sleeve. If anybody could it's them.

  11. #31
    Big risk to make an RTS for a first game. Guess we'll see if it works out for them or it turns out to be yet another failure from ex Blizz devs.

  12. #32
    Man, I sure do miss some good rts games

  13. #33
    Frost Giant Studios, a new game studio founded by Tim Morten (Former Production Director of StarCraft II) and Tim Campbell (Former Lead Campaign Designer of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne), has raised $4.7 to create a new real-time strategy game.

    Only $4.7 if that's all they managed to raise i'd have given them another $5.3 to make it $10 ..... wonder how far they'll get with $4.7 lol

  14. #34
    The Lightbringer Darknessvamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hour of Twilight, Caverns of Time
    Posts
    3,247
    I'll keep a tentative look out for news on their development and hope they can come up with something interesting and fun, my only issue is their desire to "lower the entry barrier" to RTSs. I'm not quite sure what they mean by that as personally I'm no expert at RTS games so much so I tend to lose far more often in MP matches than other genres of games but I usually only really play them for their campaigns and learning their interesting army composition and base building/development mechanics for the different factions in skirmish mode. I do wonder if it's more towards the competitive side rather than their campaign stuff and even then I'd be cautious of them investing too heavily in trying to build a competitive scene with the possible intent for E-sports as most RTS games as well as games in general that I've seen try that have died quicker because of it.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Good luck to them, but I suspect that the RTS bus has long since departed the station. Unless you're living in Seoul, perhaps.
    That shouldn't stop anyone from making games of RTS or anything that aren't trending. We need more variety, especially old genre. Tired of trending market, especially the one that I have big fat zero interest in like battlegrounds.

  16. #36
    Elemental Lord GreenJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    8,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    I'll keep a tentative look out for news on their development and hope they can come up with something interesting and fun, my only issue is their desire to "lower the entry barrier" to RTSs. I'm not quite sure what they mean by that as personally I'm no expert at RTS games so much so I tend to lose far more often in MP matches than other genres of games but I usually only really play them for their campaigns and learning their interesting army composition and base building/development mechanics for the different factions in skirmish mode. I do wonder if it's more towards the competitive side rather than their campaign stuff and even then I'd be cautious of them investing too heavily in trying to build a competitive scene with the possible intent for E-sports as most RTS games as well as games in general that I've seen try that have died quicker because of it.
    Yeh that sounds dangerous. RTS genre needs no-life Koreans to prop up the competitive side of the game. Look at HoTS and how "lower the entry barrier" worked for them by removing gold and items, made exp shared, etc etc.

    Don't get me wrong. I loved HoTS, but I mostly loved it because of the characters I already knew like Arthas.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-10-21 at 05:18 PM.

  17. #37
    Be interesting, i love me some RTS, the whole reason im a gamer is because of command and conquer, let frost giant create the game then dreamhaven can publish it out and we might have something special... "We will watch your career with great interest"

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by DTJames View Post
    That shouldn't stop anyone from making games of RTS or anything that aren't trending. We need more variety, especially old genre. Tired of trending market, especially the one that I have big fat zero interest in like battlegrounds.
    I agree. However, I assume the company are looking to turn a profit.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernoxas View Post
    Anyone else noticing that more and more ex-blizzard studios are showing up?
    Eh its not that surprising, or even that new. Comes with being around for a long time, employees leave for one reason or another to start new studios. Happens all the time.

    Carbine Studios in 2005 (Wildstar), Flagship Studios in 2003 (Hellgate: London), Hyboreal Games in 2005 (not sure if they ever actually put out anything), Red 5 Studios also in 2005 (Firefall). Interestingly Carbine, Flagship, and Red 5 are all defunct. Its rough out there for new studios. Hyboreal seems to have changed names to U.I. Pacific but I can't find much on them.

    More recently Dreamhaven and Frost Giant.
    Last edited by Kiivar86; 2020-10-21 at 05:26 PM.

  20. #40
    Pandaren Monk Ardenaso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Yeh that sounds dangerous. RTS genre needs no-life Koreans to prop up the competitive side of the game
    fear not there's Grubby lol /s
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Horde's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

    My Lightbound Orc and Alteraci Human suggestion thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •