Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Millions of gold worth of items but can't sell anything on Auction House

I've got all sorts of rare and or unobtainable items that I literally cannot sell.

I undercut regional prices. I undercut server prices. Substantially even. And still, nothing sells.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Where are all the collectors and wealthy players at? How is an entire region all selling these items for similar prices if it never sells?

I have to vendor most items as it seems to be the same for me.

At least you still have your millions of gold worth of items...

I had 20m gold worth of items that expired from the mailbox... mainly mounts and pets!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    I've got all sorts of rare and or unobtainable items that I literally cannot sell.

I undercut regional prices. I undercut server prices. Substantially even. And still, nothing sells.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Where are all the collectors and wealthy players at? How is an entire region all selling these items for similar prices if it never sells?
    If nobody buys them they aren't worth milions then?

Quote Originally Posted by meckeard View Post
    I have to vendor most items as it seems to be the same for me.
    There seems to be more gold going around than ever before and yet nothing sells. I don't understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    If nobody buys them they aren't worth milions then?
    Well then the entire North American region setting the price range is all wrong too?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post

I had 20m gold worth of items that expired from the mailbox... mainly mounts and pets!

That's tragic Item restoration wasn't possible?

Well then the entire North American region setting the price range is all wrong too?
    All people on the earth may value some stupid stone for 5 million $, but until somebody actually pays this price then it's only a price, not it's real worth, is it not?

The price range is not the sell range. Tsm and undermine show prices for offers, but not the prices of sold items. Look at average number of items sold per day (regional) to estimate how long it takes ro sell ypur items. Also think about the competition of other players.

its like selling a rare old bottle cap.. 99.9999999999999999999% dont give a damn about that bottle cap, so it wont sell fast, but bottle cap collectors will be willing to buy it at some point for a stupid high prics.

Were the items actually moving at the higher prices or were they just listed at those prices? Because it makes a huge difference in the end. Had some "colorful" in-game whispers thrown my way after I undercut a decent chunk on some items I was trying to move, because there wasn't a market for the items at the inflated price everyone else was posting them at. You may occasionally get that one person that just buys a bunch of WoW tokens to buy the stuff at obviously inflated prices, but it's become increasingly common that people put potential/desired profit margins over actually making a profit.

Rare items/pets/mounts is generally a slow market already, and eventually you'll hit a market saturation point to where either everyone who wants what you're offering has it, or the price is higher than what anyone left would buy it for. At that point, you're banking on people buying stuff to keep it rare (which does happen). If anything, I'd say the changes to making input broadcasting software a bannable offense made "getting rich quick" a lot more daunting of a task for casual multibox farmers, which may make the population of WoW players with millions of gold stagnate. If you can't get fresh blood into that high gold population bracket, high priced items that are purely vanity in nature will not move much at all.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    All people on the earth may value some stupid stone for 5 million $, but until somebody actually pays this price then it's only a price, not it's real worth, is it not?
    Are you just being pedantic for the hell of it? It's a market.

That's the problem with items that have an incredibly narrow target audience - they may be very rare and therefore valuable, but until you find a buyer that actually WANTS the item that doesn't help you at all. It's a very different thing from items that are in high and constant demand, like e.g. raid consumables or the new legendary base crafts.

Your super special mount or pet or whatever might be "worth" 500,000g to the person who ends up buying it, but it might well take you 12 months to find that person because there's only a handful of them on the server, or they might not actually want it now but might in the future, or whatever. That's the nature of the type of commodity you're dealing with here, and you have to be aware of that going into it.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Were the items actually moving at the higher prices or were they just listed at those prices?
    Well they are historical prices. Underminejournal and such shows its trends, growth, declines, etc. I've sold items in the past for similar prices, but the market seems completely supersaturated

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    If you can't get fresh blood into that high gold population bracket, high priced items that are purely vanity in nature will not move much at all.
    Yeah I mean I'm already undercutting things by significant margins. What more can I do?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That's the problem with items that have an incredibly narrow target audience - they may be very rare and therefore valuable, but until you find a buyer that actually WANTS the item that doesn't help you at all. It's a very different thing from items that are in high and constant demand, like e.g. raid consumables or the new legendary base crafts.

Your super special mount or pet or whatever might be "worth" 500,000g to the person who ends up buying it, but it might well take you 12 months to find that person because there's only a handful of them on the server, or they might not actually want it now but might in the future, or whatever. That's the nature of the type of commodity you're dealing with here, and you have to be aware of that going into it.
    I'm highly aware of it, but it's gotten to the point that there are 0 buyers for any of it even at seriously reduced prices.
    Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2020-12-30 at 11:23 PM.

That's tragic Item restoration wasn't possible?
    Nope, GM wouldn't even restore it...

Well they are historical prices. Underminejournal and such shows its trends, growth, declines, etc. I've sold items in the past for similar prices, but the market seems

Yeah I mean I'm already undercutting things by significant margins. What more can I do?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm highly aware of it, but it's gotten to the point that there are 0 buyers for any of it even at seriously reduced prices.
    Again, historical prices are an average of a selection of listings made in the past 60 days. It's not necessarily said, that any item was sold at that price. Also we are at the beginning of an expansion; novelty items are not very sought after right now, since the money is needed for other things (gear, legendaries, enchants, pots, etc...)

That's no uncommon for highly specialized items, because the people who WOULD want items like that are also more likely to already have them because they've been around forever. A lot of the high-end stuff doesn't exactly appeal to new players as much as it does to veterans, but the older they are the higher the chances they've already bought it years ago. Not to mention that for some of the items (special xmogs in particular) new players might not even know they exist.

If you're talking about transmogs and shit, this stuff is only worth something later on when nobody is focused on progression.

But also, prices change. What you may seem as worth millions might be worthless today. Like for example most people nowadays don't give a shit about about old transmog BoE's as they are just too outdated. Even some old mounts that were highly sought after before aren't THAT interesting anymore, like the choppers.

I actually used to make millions with selling silk cloth back in mop, but nowadays it's totally useless/worthless as professions don't require you to "level" through vanilla anymore (+ first aid doesn't need to be leveled too, as it doesn't exist).
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2020-12-30 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    If you're talking about transmogs and shit, this stuff is only worth something later on when nobody is focused on progression.

But also, prices change. What you may seem as worth millions might be worthless today. Like for example most people nowadays don't give a shit about about old transmog BoE's as they are just too outdated. Even some old mounts that were highly sought after before aren't THAT interesting anymore, like the choppers.

Profession crafts, profession reagents, transmog, pets, mounts, etc.

It wasn't selling during Legion's/BFA's end of expansion lull either.
    Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2020-12-30 at 11:40 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post

This happened to me before when I took a break, although not on the same scale. I made a ticket and they were returned to me.

Profession crafts, profession reagents, transmog, pets, mounts, etc.

It wasn't selling during Legion's end of expansion lull either.
    Again, lines up with a couple very important things.

First, banning of automatic input software, as I mentioned earlier. This hit the casual gold makers way more than the hardcore ones most likely, as getting started for the neophytes is a much more daunting task.

Second, changes to professions and items. Blizz made huge strides towards invalidating almost all old content items to be worthless in Shadowlands once you hit 51, which is a huge change from the normal formula. In BFA, I was still using invisibility pots from WoD because I had so many left over, talent tomes from Legion because they were immensely easier to make, etc. Shadowlands wiped out that model to where only Shadowlands-oriented items matter to most people. Add on top people leveling like crazy with the new leveling experience during the pre-patch, and you'll see old content profession mats completely saturated. Furthermore, I've noticed people caring less and less about "gotta have them all!" when it comes to old recipes. Blizz squashing the crafter's mark flipping ability was just icing on the cake at that point.

If we're talking other pre-expansion periods, every period had it's own unique scenarios. Typically the large multiboxers I know come back for pre-expansion content to get everything prepared for the first couple weeks of the new expansion, and not buying vanity stuff. Going into a new expansion with a large gold reserve gives more options than frivolously blowing gold on non-gold making items. I honestly don't know anyone serious about making gold that just frivolously spends it anyways, so maybe that's an oddity on my end (but not likely).

You did mention the Undermine Journal, however I think your misinterpreting some of the data, or using it out of reference. All that site does is tell you statistic about list prices, it tells you nothing about the volume of the market... and that's huge when determining whether your items are priced appropriately or not. I also mentioned in a previous post all the nasty whispers I got sent for undercutting the established market price, but I recognized that the market volume was terrible and the products were not moving at that price point. When it comes to items like herbs/pots/flasks/etc, the market volume is very high and the statistics on TUJ are fairly useful. When it comes to rare/vanity items, I can already tell you that's a low volume market on a good day as they are not very liquid assets, and the prices listed on TUJ can be very inaccurate in terms of what said items are actually worth.

In the end, you have a couple options: undercut until the product actually moves, or just keep relisting at whatever your selling point is and hope it moves. It all comes down to whether you need the gold for your own ends now or later, or if you can absorb the loss if the items never sell or sell at drastically lower prices than you intended. This is specifically why I never played the the rare vanity items market, because it can be a very fickle market compared to the consumable market.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Who wants to buy something if they're quitting the game?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"