Poll: Do you engage in Pet Battles?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you engage in Pet Battles?

So, some basis for this thread before we get into the meat of it.

I'm not asking if you think the system is a bad one, that it should be removed, or anything like that. The question is as simple as it is, that's all!

Onto the show!

As the title asks, do you engage in Pet Battles? How much do you do so? Do you dabble? Have you completed the Celestial Tournament? How about PvP? Do you crave the Pet Battle Weekly Event? How many max level pets do you have? Favorite things about it? How about on the other side of things, do you dislike Pet Battles? Thing the Weekly Event is a waste of a time slot? Why do you dislike it?

I personally dabble into it here and there, not really getting into it myself, but I do see the merit of the system and think it's cool that there's this completely different and optional side to the game for people to engage in.

I'll put up a simple poll here as well, 3 options, I'm just curious to how much of the player base engages in the content or not.

Again, this isn't a thread about it's removal, just want to know if you engage in it or not!

Awesome Sig/Avatar by the lovely Rivellana

10+ Year Old Account
    Dabbler. I tend to view them as another thing to check off that is on occasion fun to do. I never played Pokemon or anything similar, so the system was new/novel to me.

I have completed the tournament and other pet battle events/dungeons, I don't seek out the time-intensive achievements.

I will occasionally put together a team and queue up for player vs. player pet battles for giggles. That's the sum of my involvement. I find it entertaining at times.

Pet battling is a nice side project to complement raiding, achievement hunting, xmog farms, gold farms, etc. I've completed all of the PB dungeons to-date and obtained every pet from same. Still have some wild pets to tame and need to get a good number of PVP battles won to chase the achievements for same. The menagerie could also use some more levels - too many pets still below 25. So I suppose you can say it goes a bit beyond dabbling for me.

Tried it out back in MoP and kinda lost interest a little ways in (no major achievements or Celestials/etc), but have been steadily, and passively amassing the pet tokens from mission tables over the years.

Recently decided to go ahead and try to get the Falcosaur mounts and I got to say - this go around has proven much more fun when you can just coast on 3000 pet tokens and build any team you want or need at a moment's notice.

I like pet battles, evident from my more than 1500 pets at level 25. But I barely engage in pvp battles, and I've not been very motivated to complete the pet battles dungeons either.

I think I finished easy and hard version of WC and DM as well as the easy version of Gnomeregan.

But the difficulty spike for Gnomeregan was so high compared to the previous dungeons that I lost any desire to complete it again, as well as doing the Stratholme and BRD pet dungeons.

I do have all the pets from the Celestial Tournament, but repeating content on a weekly basis for a token used to buy pet related things is generally not my idea of fun, so I never went back to DM or WC despite difficulty being on the lower side.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

I would say I'm inbetween loving it and dabbling - I love collecting pets and doing more casual pet battles, but I don't care about PvP (or meta) and don't always go out of my way to do all the pet battle content.

I have around 1050 pets, tho I don't know how many max level pets I have, roughly 20% of them by looking at the collection tab? So up to 200 max level pets. I don't particularly care for the weekly event - the lvl 25 stone is kinda useless and I'd rather have pet charms instead, but even then I don't think I'd do it because PvP pet battles are dull.

My favourite part is mostly the collecting (and upgrading) of different pets. I don't bother very much with leveling them up, but I like collecting them.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dabble from time to rare time - "very" dabble. And usually only if there's a tertiary reward to it - like for a specific pet or something. I'm more into the pet collecting than the game itself and so really I just try to save up tokens to buy the pets you can't get any other way.

I think its a great fun minigame system Blizz has put in and continued to support.

However, I am very much not happy or pleased at all with the fact that in BFA and (from what i've read) in the next expansion - so many (possible all in BFA) REP pets are also ONLY obtainable with the pet-battle currency. Not cool Blizz. Not cool. Not just locked behind the reputation wall as pets have been in the past - but also locked behind a purchase price of hundreds of pet battle tokens. TWO Unlocks. Has really soured me.

There are those of us who love to collect pets, but we don't like the minigame. But there's almost no real way to save up tokens (I've been saving them from random world events and mission tables for 2 expansions now and don't have enough for more than 2 pets) unless you partake in pet battles. This wasn't a problem before BFA because outside of the few 'pet battle only' pets you could get - all the other pets were obtainable without the tokens. Reputation Pets were unlocked when you got the rep level - but then only needed gold to purchase. That system worked fine.

But as of BFA - all the reputation locked pets were also requiring pet battle tokens. :/

I think its great they put in mini-pokemon for those that enjoy it. I don't want to take their fun away. But i'm miffed that now I can't collect most of the available (non-RNG based) pets unless I do content I don't have fun doing.

:/ sighs.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

I started now that my girlfriend literally plays just for that. So I'm still a noobie. Still looking to build a good pet team. Currently using an Anubisath Idol with a Gilnean Raven and an Iron Starlette. Only because they're my highest level pets lol.

I go through phases were I am really into it, and other times I barely do pet battles. In MoP with the tournament I first started and got really into to it, WoD I barely touched, Legion I barely touched, and through BFA i have played it a lot more. We will see what SL has in store for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Was looking forward to a "only if AP/Rep world quests force me to" answer. Was let down.

I liked it at first, but it quickly degraded into "farm these pets and grind them to level 25 to win" and I lost my interest, never did pet battle since WoD.

Nope, zero interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post

I'm not asking if you think the system is a bad one, that it should be removed, or anything like that. The question is as simple as it is, that's all!

Onto the show!

As the title asks, do you engage in Pet Battles? How much do you do so? Do you dabble? Have you completed the Celestial Tournament? How about PvP? Do you crave the Pet Battle Weekly Event? How many max level pets do you have? Favorite things about it? How about on the other side of things, do you dislike Pet Battles? Thing the Weekly Event is a waste of a time slot? Why do you dislike it?

I personally dabble into it here and there, not really getting into it myself, but I do see the merit of the system and think it's cool that there's this completely different and optional side to the game for people to engage in.

I'll put up a simple poll here as well, 3 options, I'm just curious to how much of the player base engages in the content or not.

Again, this isn't a thread about it's removal, just want to know if you engage in it or not!
    I dabble but it's not really my thing, but i like that there is some "use" to the pets i collect.
    I'd personally love it if they made something in a similar vein, i.e. "mount racing" where each mount has certain characteristics during a race.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Never interested me, never will.

I want my character to do stuff. I have gimmicky shit where I'm not playing my actual character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Occasionally but I don't think I have ever actually fought another player. I just don't want to deal with the idea of a possible meta and what pets are "best". I usually will level a couple new pets each time the event pops but other than that no.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate pet battles but I do them because I like collecting pets.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post

Onto the show!

I'm a big fan, I have almost all the PvE Achievements, some 600 pets or so (about 380 unique). I generally grind the achievements towards the end of the expacs, when I run out of normal content, but I also do battles on alts for XP, and on WQ's as they come up. I've completed all the PvE content there is, but I rarely do PvP battles because it's so random.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

When it was first released I was hardcore into it I farmed all the rare pets and had every pet and all the achievements I could get back in MOP. But have not touched the system since then. When they didn't increase pet levels or allow you to get higher than Rare pets I kind of lost my drive to play it. Farming for the Damn Minfernal took me 4 months with 3 characters camped there I finally found 1 and only 1 ever and it was common that I immediately used a stone to upgrade to rare. It was right after a reset for the week and it spawned and me and 6 other people made a B line for it and luckily I got there first.

Pets are too non-specific and not special a lot of the time. It's not very fun catching the same frogs and squirrels and mice all the time. I collected them all with gusto in Mists just to collect but the collection later seemed pointless when everything was always the same. The combat would be fun, but I've tried the dungeons and it's not something you can do if you only ever bothered with one team for max level - you need a lot of element variety, so it seems more like you're just fitting in slots to beat the fight rather than building a team of pets you like who can deal with everything.

Pet battle (pvp) should be an app for smartphones.