Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up San Francisco Passes the CAREN Act

More cities should pass a similar act to protect their vulnerable citizens from entitled and demanding Karens.

San Francisco's Board of Supervisors unanimously passed the Caution Against Racial and Exploitative Non-Emergencies (CAREN) Act, a new law that makes it illegal for someone to call 911 with a false, racist complaint. "911 calls, are not customer service for people’s racism," Shamann Walton, a member of the board, Tweeted.

SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco supervisors unanimously voted on Tuesday to pass the Caution Against Racially and Exploitative Non-Emergencies (CAREN) Act that makes racially-motivated phone calls to 911 illegal.

It was first introduced in July after several high-profile incidents including a couple calling the police on a man writing "Black Lives Matter" in chalk in front of his own home in the Pacific Heights neighborhood.

Government Affiliated Snark

I see what they did there.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is it that the right-wing shitbirds that live on 4chan all day are getting out-meme’d by democratic legislators?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    How is it that the right-wing shitbirds that live on 4chan all day are getting out-meme’d by democratic legislators?
    Bay Area politicians are dank, yo. You ever seen the mayor of Oakland's ride?

Seriously - https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...olkswagen-bug/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Democratic legislators have a fierce meme game, man.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVFEFE_Act
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flathet View Post
    False, racist complaint? There are legitimate racist complaints?
    Where are you reading those words? Because that isn't what was in the statement. Please cite your sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Bay Area politicians are dank, yo. You ever seen the mayor of Oakland's ride?

Seriously - https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...olkswagen-bug/
    That's like every August, as both cities get ready to empty out for Burning Man.
    Government Affiliated Snark

7+ Year Old Account
    This is pointless because 99.9999% of the calls are about people reporting shady activity and not reporting them on the basis of race. The caller would have to be very explicitly race motivated before you could actually prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the call was based on race and not on shady behavior.

This is largely a symbolic and "feel good" act that won't fly in an actual court case.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-10-22 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    The caller would have to be very explicitly race motivated before you could actually prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the call was based on race and not on shady behavior.

This is largely a symbolic and "feel good" act that won't fly in an actual court case.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/n...rt-charge.html

Didn't know this wasn't already a thing.

Bullshit calls to 999 in the UK have been illegal for decades.

I suppose english isn't your first language? Because I see you got the comma in your comment but you seem to be overlooking it, basically here it separates the statement instead of "false racist complaints" the comma basically makes it "false complaint that is also racist." Another way you could see it is the comma can mean "and" basically "false and racist complaints" you make a statement like "this, that, and also this" you don't say "this and that and also this"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Didn't know this wasn't already a thing.

Bullshit calls to 999 in the UK have been illegal for decades.
    They are here too, but I think you generally have to become known for making multiple frivolous calls before it amounts to anything this seems to make that unnecessary. The goal is likely to keep people from being afraid to call in an emergency, but there has been enough of these malicious calls trying to weaponize emergency response to make them feel this is a necessary step.

7+ Year Old Account
    Exactly that's proving my point. That's based on a 'false report' claim and it's not specifically a race-based legal charge like with a CAREN violation. The CAREN act goes above and beyond a general false report claim because the caller could also have to pay the victim $1,000. It's that extra part which i'm saying won't fly in court cases unless the person is very explicit in saying that the call is based on race and not the shady behavior in question.

Exactly that's proving my point. That's based on a 'false report' claim and it's not specifically a race-based legal charge like with a CAREN violation. The CAREN act goes above and beyond a general false report claim because the caller could also have to pay the victim $1,000. It's that extra part which i'm saying won't fly in court cases unless the person is very explicit in saying that the call is based on race and not the shady behavior in question.
    Not at all. As the link showed, the video recorded by the victim proved that the call being made was with racist intent. This is an added penalty for being a racist shit, something which courts have upheld (see: hate crime charges).

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was spelled Karen.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

It's my third language. We don't really do commas in my first language.
    I figured, I've heard there are aspects of english that can be annoying.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. As the link showed, the video recorded by the victim proved that the call being made was with racist intent.
    That's your interpretation of the person's intent. You think they were just trying to be racist as opposed to being legitimately scared by the individual's shady behavior.

In the court of law real proof must be 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. That person was charged but hasn't been convicted.

This is an added penalty for being a racist shit,
    I support that but what i'm saying is that CAREN act is mostly just a symbolic gesture because it's incredibly hard to prove that a 911 call about a person of a certain race was made on the basis of race and not based on the shady behavior. Ultimately every call is about a person and every person has a race and it's standard protocol to include that description in a report.

something which courts have upheld (see: hate crime charges).
    Exactly, hate crime is already a crime which is why this doesn't add anything significantly new that changes anything.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-10-22 at 05:09 PM.

That's your interpretation of the person's intent. You think they were just trying to be racist as opposed to being legitimately scared by the individuals shady behavior.
    Oh, please do tell me how sitting at a park bench watching birds is shady behavior. Unless you're going to lean into racism, at which point please don't.

In the court of law real proof must be 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. That person was charged but hasn't been convicted.
    She's not convicted, but is expected to plead guilty to avoid jail time and make a deal for community service.

I support that but what i'm saying is that CAREN act is mostly just a symbolic gesture because it's incredibly hard to prove that a 911 call about a person of a certain race was made on the basis of race and not based on the the shady behavior. Ultimately every call is about a person and every person has a race and it's standard protocol to include that description in a report.
    That it's difficult to prove isn't reason to make it law. Hate crimes, which you support, are incredibly difficult to prove and it's one reason why they're so rarely used. But they still have a valuable purpose in our legal system.

Exactly, hate crime is already a crime which is why this doesn't actually add anything new that changes anything.
    Except these calls are not hate crimes, and could not be prosecuted as hate crimes. This is a lesser, tangentially related law.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I see what they did there.
    Fucking awesome is what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Baby steps, Sweden, baby steps. Remember, half our country still thinks flying the Confederate Flag is a way to honor history.

- - - Updated - - -

This is pointless because 99.9999% of the calls are about people reporting shady activity and not reporting them on the basis of race. The caller would have to be very explicitly race motivated before you could actually prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the call was based on race and not on shady behavior.

You're probably right, depending on the details, but it will make the racist fucks have to defend themselves now, putting the onus on them to explain their actions or face fines and jail time.

7+ Year Old Account
    She's not convicted, but is expected to plead guilty to avoid jail time and make a deal for community service.
    Okay, my point was that you should not use a legal charge to imply evidence of guilt. Defendants are innocent until proven guilty by the relevant people who have fully studied the situation.
    That it's difficult to prove isn't reason to make it law. Hate crimes, which you support, are incredibly difficult to prove and it's one reason why they're so rarely used. But they still have a valuable purpose in our legal system.

Except these calls are not hate crimes, and could not be prosecuted as hate crimes. This is a lesser, tangentially related law.
    That was my only point in the first place so it seems we do not have a disagreement.

It's that extra part which i'm saying won't fly in court cases unless the person is very explicit in saying that the call is based on race and not the shady behavior in question.
    Unless you're reporting them for something that isn't actually shady like ... renting an Air BnB, walking your dog, jogging, bird watching... the list goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.