Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Good luck with that holding up in court. I could actually see crime going up because people will be afraid to call in suspicious activity.
    Last edited by muto; 2020-10-24 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Obviously they aren't 100% effective was deterrents, but to pretend they are 0% effective is ridiculous.
    A law its self is meaningless, the deterent and effectiveness of the deterent is how its enforced and also to a degree the publics will to allow it to be enforced.

There's numerous laws in my own country I and every on else here break on regular basis, and I'm not talking about some old forgotten ones, its well known that the max speed limit in the UK is 70mph but its also well know the police don't bother pulling people over for anything under 80-85 because simply put there so many people who do that on the motorway its impossible to enforce, thus the law in that case is essentially meaningless as a deterent, they could lower the speed limit to 60 or 50 on the motorway but it wouldn't matter.

Legislation is and always has been a very poor method for effecting changes in the publics behaviour.

Extra Laws ontop of the laws that already exist for this behaviour won't deter these people, what there doing is already illegal anyway.

What this is, is just a legislative token gesture, European governments and my own government pump these out fairly regularly, new laws ontop of old laws, bits of amendments, clarifying, expanding categorys blah blah, I've seen hindered of laws passed in my life time exactly like this one and I'll see a hundred more before I'm gone, non of them make any real difference.

The social changes needed to stamp out an abhorant behaviour can only come from within a society, they cannot be imposed on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Good luck with that holding up in court. I could actually see crime going up because people will be afraid to call in suspicious activity.
    I'm already hesitant to call in law enforcement, but that's mainly a function of me not wanting to be complicit in one of my neighbors being shot by police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Obviously they aren't 100% effective was deterrents, but to pretend they are 0% effective is ridiculous.
    If not one extreme, it has to be the other?

Why do people in San Francisco call 911 for racism? They should be arrested for it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Why do people in San Francisco call 911 for racism? They should be arrested for it.
    It isn't just San Francisco, racist Karens all over the country do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They spelled "Karen" wrong.

Law is now literally unfollowable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    I don't know how it works in the US. But does seem pointless have 2 laws for the same thing.

In the uk we have a law and then tiers of mitigating circumstance and gritting circumstance that alter the min and max sentence, there no specific crime called a hate crime in the UK, instead we have it as an agrivating circumstance for all crimes, so any crime committed if it shown to be motivated racism or homohobia etc the max sentence and min sentence gets raised.that way there's no need for hundreds of specific laws
    Well I like that the U.K has ASBO laws in general however my problem here is with the redundancy and and legislating laws that really don't mean anything especially when there are already laws not being used. More is not better here, and especially when dealing with a cultural problem

Laws are good, but they can't be used in place of good policy.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post
    They spelled "Karen" wrong.

Law is now literally unfollowable.
    I just don’t think they kare enough...

They got Mortal Kombat writers and are over compensating...

With you being Kalamity, you should understand.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Well I like that the U.K has ASBO laws in general however my problem here is with the redundancy and and legislating laws that really don't mean anything especially when there are already laws not being used. More is not better here, and especially when dealing with a cultural problem

Laws are good, but they can't be used in place of good policy.
    I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Calling 911 for racism is part of the problem. The other part is that the call is going to a bunch of other racists WITH GUNS.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a problem in San Francisco?

Hmf...it's San Francisco.
    The thinking is a little off there.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Of course they work as a deterrent for some, just not for all. You really think the rate of crime today would be the exact same if there were zero laws tomorrow?
    A deterrent for some only if shown to be enforced.

And laws in the US aren't enforced?
    Topic please.
    Have people been arrested for calling/complaining about perceived racism before enactment of this particular law?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I'm already hesitant to call in law enforcement, but that's mainly a function of me not wanting to be complicit in one of my neighbors being shot by police.
    Don’t worry there’s probably a better chance of them getting hit by a Tsunami while living in Iowa.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really think the rate of crime today would be the exact same if there were zero laws tomorrow?
    There would be a lot of men armed to teeth doing their best being nice to each other. Those poor fellows who were unarmed should have not been so careless

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Don’t worry there’s probably a better chance of them getting hit by a Tsunami while living in Iowa.
    There probably isn't a better chance of them getting hit by a tsunami in Iowa.
    https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

I doubt the chance of a tsunami hitting Iowa is even remotely close to 1 in a million, while the chance of a black person being killed by police seems to average at least 1-2 in a hundred thousand.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2020-10-24 at 11:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post

I doubt the chance of a tsunami hitting Iowa is even remotely close to 1 in a million, while the chance of a black person being killed by seems to average at least 1-2 in a hundred thousand.
    Don't bring facts to a Trump supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post

I doubt the chance of a tsunami hitting Iowa is even remotely close to 1 in a million, while the chance of a black person being killed by police seems to average at least 1-2 in a hundred thousand.

1 in 100,000 doesn’t seem like something we should be concerned about especially when in most cases it’s justified. Protesting alcohol makes more sense considering more people are killed by drunk drivers.