Thread: Classic->TBC

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Cool Classic->TBC

If all classic servers are upgraded to TBC, this means we might get a single PvP server and a single PVE server per region for people who want to keep playing classic 1-60 and allow one time free character copies to it before TBC is released.

The good thing about this is it would allow for natural progression while making sure none of the current list of servers per region get deserted and it would consolidate all players wanting to continue playing classic into a single server.

The issue with this is that most likely every region will get a new single PvP server and a single PVE server for 1-60 classic BUT they will not be able to let it start in phases since they will likely let players copy their existing characters to it to allow them to keep playing classic after all servers progress to BC. This sucks because we won’t see a new AQ event but it means it won’t matter if people are fully decked out in top gear.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2020-10-22 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    If all classic servers are upgraded to TBC, this means we might get a single PvP server and a single PVE server per region for people who want to keep playing classic 1-60 and allow one time free character copies to it before TBC is released.

The good thing about this is it would allow for natural progression while making sure none of the current list of servers per region get deserted and it would consolidate all players wanting to continue playing classic into a single server.

The issue with this is that most likely every region will get a new single PvP server and a single PVE server for 1-60 classic BUT they will not be able to let it start in phases since they will likely let players copy their existing characters to it to allow them to keep playing classic after all servers progress to BC. This sucks because we won’t see a new AQ event but it means it won’t matter if people are fully decked out in top gear.

What are your thoughts on this?
    As long as I can keep my characters in a permanent classic server I will be happy. If it requires a transfer, so be it.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

It for sure won’t be a copy option. Transfer only for sure. They will probably leave classic static which is ok, if that’s the game those people want to play, let them. There’s really no good reason to force these people into a restart. If they want to play classic forever, then I’m sure deleting their characters isn’t really something most of them will be down for.

Either way, this community is going to be incredibly small anyway. So whatever they do probably isn’t going to be an utmost concern for them considering a majority will move to tbc.

Ok this needs to be clarified by Blizzard. If my current classic server gets migrated to TBC code, I might as well just stop playing now. I’m not interested in TBC.

You know what, since there is so much unknown, I’m just gonna completely stop playing classic, disable the account until I know their plans. Not in a hurry since I want a static classic server there is no need to hurry with progression.

Ok this needs to be clarified by Blizzard. If my current classic server gets migrated to TBC code, I might as well just stop playing now. I’m not interested in TBC.

You know what, since there is so much unknown, I’m just gonna completely stop playing classic, disable the account until I know their plans. Not in a hurry since I want a static classic server there is no need to hurry with progression.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you do after naxx and full bis and all that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    It for sure won’t be a copy option. Transfer only for sure. They will probably leave classic static which is ok, if that’s the game those people want to play, let them.
    Source for this?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Source for this?
    PVP? What else? I mean why do people play Overwatch when they are all in BIS technically speaking? Level alts? is that forbidden? Not gonna let blizzard render everything I spent time on useless for the second time. I"m skeptical and really dont wanna touch WoW again and can't wait for this miserable state of being this company has brought the game to to end once a decent MMORPG has been released, hopefully in a few months.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not going to be a transfer for two reasons - first, that hurts TBC since some number of people will decide that they don't want to give up the option of playing classic ever again on a given toon (and some people only have 1 high-level toon). Second, it hurts classic since it decreases the number of players there.

What I've thought they'll do for a long time is this - you can copy a toon from classic to TBC ONCE. It still exists on classic but cannot be recopied. This keeps people from migrating things over and over* but if you want to log back into classic to play with friends who are still there, you can.

*For example say you have 5000g on classic. You copy that toon over to TBC, give that gold to a level 1 you've created there. Then recopy the toon with 5000g again. Now you have 10,000g.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me , personally, I'm just rolling a new class, gear it to BiS, rinse and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    It's not going to be a transfer for two reasons - first, that hurts TBC since some number of people will decide that they don't want to give up the option of playing classic ever again on a given toon (and some people only have 1 high-level toon). Second, it hurts classic since it decreases the number of players there.

What I've thought they'll do for a long time is this - you can copy a toon from classic to TBC ONCE. It still exists on classic but cannot be recopied. This keeps people from migrating things over and over* but if you want to log back into classic to play with friends who are still there, you can.

*For example say you have 5000g on classic. You copy that toon over to TBC, give that gold to a level 1 you've created there. Then recopy the toon with 5000g again. Now you have 10,000g.
    couldnt you just copy your main with 5000g, then mail the gold to another classic alt and copy that character too with the same 5000g and double your tbc gold?

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    couldnt you just copy your main with 5000g, then mail the gold to another classic alt and copy that character too with the same 5000g and double your tbc gold?
    Shitting on blizzard may be the popular meme, but they're not gonna let us print gold like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeess... that would work unless they change things like limiting the gold you can copy over.

Copying classic to tbc is only allowed once for max level toons and for a limited time period only is how I hope it works. For this time period gold transferred between toons of the same account will not be transferred to tbc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    It for sure won’t be a copy option. Transfer only for sure. They will probably leave classic static which is ok, if that’s the game those people want to play, let them. There’s really no good reason to force these people into a restart. If they want to play classic forever, then I’m sure deleting their characters isn’t really something most of them will be down for.

Either way, this community is going to be incredibly small anyway. So whatever they do probably isn’t going to be an utmost concern for them considering a majority will move to tbc.
    Yeah...I don't see them forcing Classic players into BS, that would just be stupid and bound to cost them subs when people leave.

Making new BC servers would be the logical choice

10+ Year Old Account
    So anyone who did not play Classic hard should be punnished because Classic Vanilla players want the best of both worlds? Yeah copy your toon over, or have everyone start at 60.

Copying your fully specced out characters is the most moronic thing I have heard. T3 is strong in S1 and early TBC PVE. Gold is still super important again OP as shit. Legendaries like Thunderfury too for tanks...

Fresh start, keep classic classic. Alternatively, keep character copies to only certain realms/battlegroups to prevent unbalance.

- - - Updated - - -

Copying classic to tbc is only allowed once for max level toons and for a limited time period only is how I hope it works. For this time period gold transferred between toons of the same account will not be transferred to tbc.
    Why limited time, again unfair.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Yeah...I don't see them forcing Classic players into BS, that would just be stupid and bound to cost them subs when people leave.

Making new BC servers would be the logical choice
    Nah, the most logical choice would be to just promise classic plus servers instead, even if it takes 5 years or they have no intention of doing it at all.

Releasing TBC would be a bad idea no matter how they do it. If they force everyone into it, classic players would quit. TBC wasn't that popular judging from private servers so after the initial small boost, they would only lose subs. If they release both, again, some would move to TBC, breaking up guilds. Lots of players would quit.

Another alternative would be to just skip TBC entirely and release Wrath. That's another expansion with a lot of nostalgia attached to it and might even attract new players who want to try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Nah, the most logical choice would be to just promise classic plus servers instead, even if it takes 5 years or they have no intention of doing it at all.

Releasing TBC would be a bad idea no matter how they do it. If they force everyone into it, classic players would quit. TBC wasn't that popular judging from private servers so after the initial small boost, they would only lose subs. If they release both, again, some would move to TBC, breaking up guilds. Lots of players would quit.

Another alternative would be to just skip TBC entirely and release Wrath. That's another expansion with a lot of nostalgia attached to it and might even attract new players who want to try it out.
    I mean this is just ridiculous. Sounds like you are in the very big minority of players who do not like TBC. Skipping straight to Wrath? Nonsensical. I can understand Classic+ but again, give it few years and people will want Classic.

Best solution is to designate a realm for character copies and leaving rest of realms and battlegroups as fresh starts for those who want them.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post

You say that TBC has less popularity observed on p.servers after initial wave than Vanilla, which is true.
    However you promote WotLK instead and that I'm not really sure I understand. Sure, if you look at p. servers most are on WotLK, but beyond content reasons there is a technical aspect you can't ignore. WotLK private servers emulators are way more stable than Cata+, and client is easily moddable, which makes it attractive for alternative games.

I don't see how what you say for TBC would not happen for WotLK, to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are going to lose a lot of players if they don't allow you to carry on your char progression in to TBC, people have invested a lot of time and effort in to Classic and have prepared somewhat for a potential TBC release. I know that it's never been confirmed this is happening, but you'd think it is the logical choice. If they decide to change this, they are going to piss a lot of players off and as I said, potentially lose players.

Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    You say that TBC has less popularity observed on p.servers after initial wave than Vanilla, which is true.
    However you promote WotLK instead and that I'm not really sure I understand. Sure, if you look at p. servers most are on WotLK, but beyond content reasons there is a technical aspect you can't ignore. WotLK private servers emulators are way more stable than Cata+, and client is easily moddable, which makes it attractive for alternative games.

I don't see how what you say for TBC would not happen for WotLK, to be honest.
    Well, WotLK has a pretty large fandom and Classic won't last forever with no updates. Assuming Blizzard wants to maximize their profits, which they do, it would be best for them to just let Classic be until subscriptions drop off considerably, then release Wrath. Releasing TBC would gain them nothing. They would lose more players from doing that than just letting classic rot as is.

Someone will actually bother farming full bis from Naxx? Why? I don't get it.

Personally I'll probably just quit playing Classic after clearing Naxx once. Maybe return again once we get TBC:Classic.