View Poll Results: MOST FUN Melee DPS (Tier List) Agree/Disagree?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

    10 11.11%
  • Disagree

    71 78.89%
  • Neither (Please provide an explanation)

    9 10.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post
    MarcelianOnline posted a video making a tier list ranking melee DPS based on how fun they are.


    Things taken into consideration when they ranked them were play style, talent choices and flexibility, what utility they bring, and DPS output.


    I know a spec being fun isn't equal to doing the most DPS, but I agree with their point of doing very low damage is disheartening and doesn't make the spec as fun as it can be. What fun can be had doing less damage a third of the overall damage? (Looking at you, Feral)





    TIER LIST


    S: Unholy, Subtlety, Retribution


    A: Windwalker, Outlaw, Havoc


    B: Assassination, Survival, Frost (Death Knight), Fury


    C: Arms


    D: Feral, Enhancement


    ...


    Do you agree or disagree with their rankings? What specs would you rank higher/lower?
    I disagree with Feral, but Enhance is very boring and heavily relies on uncontrolled procs to burst (opposite of Retribution).

  2. #62
    Herald of the Titans msdos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,711
    Stuff like this is tricky, because melee "fun" varies depending on content.

    I'll use Frost DK as my example.
    The skill ceiling on Frost is high because of how leashed your kit is. But actually playing an FDK is piss easy. It's basically the opposite for Unholy. If you can execute Unholy's checklist and manage everything, then you're basically top tier Unholy.
    Managing pets is BM territory and did anyone ever consider BM a skillfull playstyle?? The answer is no.

    Where problems start cropping up is when the boss goes immune, the boss is no longer the target or it's some sweaty ass council fight with 1,000 things to manage for the entire fight. FDK stops being fun in these situations no matter how good or bad you are at playing it because you don't have the proper tools to counter Blizzard's soccer field raid design that has you running 1,000 yards in between targets.
    Sometimes you will pop Breath and the game decides you instantly get the debuff where you need to disengage the boss and run 500 yards away or you literally get trolled because the boss has an immune phase AND add phases.

    We won't even talk about how FDK abilities are straight up nerfed by 50% in PVP (Cold Heart, Sindy's Fury). Yeah, that's really fun, your abilities hit hard af in PVE, then when you enter PVP a nerf switch is turned on, yup, definition of fun right there.
    Last edited by msdos; 2020-10-27 at 01:26 AM.

  3. #63
    The Unstoppable Force Puupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    22,779
    My list based on gameplay and toolkit - not dps tuning:

    S: WW, Subtlety, Unholy
    A: Survival, Frost, Retri, Outlaw
    B: Fury, Arms, Assa, Havoc
    C: Feral, Enhancement

    Feral and Enhancement have good toolkits, but their gameplay is just awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

  4. #64
    Imagine putting Ret in S tier, or creating a thread based on youtuber opinions for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    I can't believe you idiots banned my main forum account because I was only showing you proof of your trolling. I will keep posting here and I will not stop this war. Just stop disrupting roleplay. You have done enough damage already.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Are you genuinely finding Sub rogue slow?
    This is the scenario I commonly find myself in: the opener is great, you get to use a handful of abilities... but then you have to wait. Then you use a couple abilities, and then you wait. And then you use an ability, and wait, and another ability, and wait. All those micro waits are gruesome. I hate them.

  6. #66
    S+: WW
    S:
    A: Enhancement
    B: Subtlety
    C: Frost, Fury, Outlaw, Assa, Unholy
    D: Retri, Feral, Havoc, Arms, Survival

    Kinda sad when blizzard gut specs into the ground or make them really unfriendly to play for raids and now M+.

  7. #67
    For me Enhance is up there and I don't find Unholy the least bit fun. Just because you can spread plague and hit Epidemic doesn't make it fun for me, I don't like using runes either.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Not gonna watch the video but I'll comment on the premise of a tier list.

    For me, I frankly don't care about the damage output being high as long as it's reasonably competent. Am I able to kill raid bosses on heroic? Good enough for me.

    The only thing that really matters to me is whether or not I find the playstyle fun and if I like the theme of the spec.

    In your above example, enhancement is listed at D tier, but I happen to really enjoy both the playstyle and the theme of enhancement, so I'd personally rank it at the top regardless of utility or damage capabilities.

    The premise of this tier list is not ranking of "do I like it" or "is it fun," (subjective) it is the ranking of "is it good." (objective)


    "Can I kill heroic bosses?" when you're underperforming as a character means you're relying on the other higher performers to carry you to some degree, and if your entire raid was composed of the DPS of your class it may not be viable to kill that boss anymore. EG, fight the raid with near 0 saturation: specs brought make the difference, bottomline.


    That said, your premise is still sound and only really relevant to progression Mythic guilds and M+ contests. Specs absolutely do not matter for Heroic.


    Tier lists are silly unless you're pushing progression / competitive, and only serve to make it a crappier experience when encountering people who claim "class/spec X is bad" and use that as some form of cyber elitism in irrelevant content, like M0 or even 1-15 for that matter, at this point, or regular raids.

    I could tank a heroic raid with 1/3 of my gear unequipped yet people still "prefer some other tank" ... good luck fighting that.


    I honestly think with how silly fast it is to level and how easy they're making shadowlands "progression" and levelling, they're 100% punting on any semblance of balance and just making it easy to get whatever class up to speed to counter the impossible-to-balance systems they have going on.


    I personally haven't cared about video game performance metrics ever since they decided that the way tanks should hold aggro is by being the highest DPS in a raid by a huge factor. Then they decided they shouldn't. It changed 0 of my playstyle, buttons, etc. All it changed was my inclusion in the "lol look at meters" junk swinging that happened when people analyzed parses afterwards. Zzz.
    Last edited by frott; 2020-10-27 at 02:25 AM.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Factcheck View Post
    Windwalker needs to be near the bottom, just leveled my Monk alt at the weekend, was a miserable experience. Might get better in Shadowlands but right now it's ass.
    WW is a tough nut sometimes as it needs very specific talents to feel fun, and those talents are always the best choices. BrM is a hoot to play though, so I''d suggest giving it a go if you feel like doing some tanking.

    ---

    I've just given Survival a go leveling and was surprised by how fun it felt. It's toolkit is varied (not just a bunch of attacks that look and feel the same) and the flow isn't too demanding when it comes to resource management, which is a turnoff for me.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by frott View Post
    The premise of this tier list is not ranking of "do I like it" or "is it fun," (subjective) it is the ranking of "is it good." (objective)
    Well, the video and the thread have the title "MOST FUN Melee DPS"...so.....im not sure what to tell you.

  11. #71
    Scarab Lord Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    4,001
    Tier list for me is whichever class has decent to good dps and a very simple rotation coz I just cba to learn complex rotations at this point in my life...

    So my rating is:
    S - BM Hunter (I stay in melee range so it counts, okay?)
    A - don't care
    B - don't know
    C - doesn't matter
    D - Feral, sub rogue

  12. #72
    Scarab Lord gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,622
    I personally love how frost & assassination play. I don't care for enh because I'd rather play resto or even ele for dps. I've never been able to get the hang of feral so for me it would be D tier because it takes some sort of skill to do the spec right.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post
    MarcelianOnline posted a video making a tier list ranking melee DPS based on how fun they are.


    Things taken into consideration when they ranked them were play style, talent choices and flexibility, what utility they bring, and DPS output.


    I know a spec being fun isn't equal to doing the most DPS, but I agree with their point of doing very low damage is disheartening and doesn't make the spec as fun as it can be. What fun can be had doing less damage a third of the overall damage? (Looking at you, Feral)





    TIER LIST


    S: Unholy, Subtlety, Retribution


    A: Windwalker, Outlaw, Havoc


    B: Assassination, Survival, Frost (Death Knight), Fury


    C: Arms


    D: Feral, Enhancement


    ...


    Do you agree or disagree with their rankings? What specs would you rank higher/lower?
    that tierlist is garbo(as all tier list are, sick of that meme trend), it was obviously made by a retarded influencer with no fucking clue, retri on S when is a bit more fun that a fucking arms warrior(turtle speed rotation without broken haste). enh on D tier ... the spec is fun, not the most fun but it can be played, the fact that enh is garbo and should have never existed is a different dog, outlaw A tier.... yeah, that guy clearly didnt touched it on bfa, subtley another garbo spec that needs to cease to exist, survi is garbo

    My tier list
    S: Fury, Assasination,
    A: Frost, Enhancement, Havoc (is not on S because rotation is full brain dead).
    B: Outlaw, Unholy, Windwalker.
    C: Sublety, Retribution.
    D: Feral, Arms, Survival.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    that tierlist is garbo(as all tier list are, sick of that meme trend), it was obviously made by a retarded influencer with no fucking clue, retri on S when is a bit more fun that a fucking arms warrior(turtle speed rotation without broken haste). enh on D tier ... the spec is fun, not the most fun but it can be played, the fact that enh is garbo and should have never existed is a different dog, outlaw A tier.... yeah, that guy clearly didnt touched it on bfa, subtley another garbo spec that needs to cease to exist, survi is garbo

    My tier list
    S: Fury, Assasination,
    A: Frost, Enhancement, Havoc (is not on S because rotation is full brain dead).
    B: Outlaw, Unholy, Windwalker.
    C: Sublety, Retribution.
    D: Feral, Arms, Survival.
    We get it.


    You don’t like lists.

  15. #75
    Strictly based on fun:

    Top Tier:
    Fury - Great rotation. Effective damage. Good mobility. Good in all phases of game.

    Tier A:
    Windwalker - Fast and busy rotation. Versatile. Good mobility.
    Survival - Simple and fun rotation. Pets.
    Havoc - Simple and fun rotation. Outstanding mobility. Beast in PvP.

    Tier B:
    Frost - Simple rotation.
    Retribution - Simple rotation. Great survivability.
    Subtlety - Great stealth gameplay. Fun in PvP.

    Tier C:
    Outlaw - Fun but not as fun as Subtlety.
    Arms - Boring and slow gameplay. Great fun in PvP.
    Feral - Annoying. But still fun in PvP.

    Tier D:
    Unholy - Festering Wounds.....
    Assassination - Boring.
    Enhancement - Broken.

  16. #76
    nothing is more fun than WW with a big chunky haste buff

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedblast View Post
    Why Unholy is so loved? I really don't get the appeal gameplaywise
    Subjectively, it’s a fun necrolord pet melee class that has a large kit.

  18. #78
    I don't understand how anybody could find UH fun.

    It suffers from pretty much every major problem a spec can have:

    -Poor Mobility
    -Lots of GCDs
    -Too many cds, and the rotation feels like crap outside of them
    -Pet AI issues
    -Ramp-up
    -Dot management
    -Significant downtime
    -Poor visuals / animations outside of Apoc.

    Now the fantasy is cool I guess, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedblast View Post
    Why Unholy is so loved? I really don't get the appeal gameplaywise
    That's how I feel about fury. It's just mindless button mashing. At least unholy has multiple resources to manage, a pet and some other stuff that matters. Meanwhile fury go brrrrrr.

    Doesn't matter either way, for this expansion I'm done with plate wearers. Feral or sub rogue for me.

  20. #80
    It's almost like a tier list of opinions isn't going to have a general consensus. Whaddya know.

    Personally I'd put Subtlety, Outlaw, Arms, Enhancement and Windwalker (fun spec, awful awful animations) at S-A tier and Unholy and Assassination at F.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •