Poll: MOST FUN Melee DPS (Tier List) Agree/Disagree?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

MOST FUN Melee DPS (Tier List) Agree/Disagree?

MarcelianOnline posted a video making a tier list ranking melee DPS based on how fun they are.

Things taken into consideration when they ranked them were play style, talent choices and flexibility, what utility they bring, and DPS output.

I know a spec being fun isn't equal to doing the most DPS, but I agree with their point of doing very low damage is disheartening and doesn't make the spec as fun as it can be. What fun can be had doing less damage a third of the overall damage? (Looking at you, Feral)

TIER LIST

S: Unholy, Subtlety, Retribution

A: Windwalker, Outlaw, Havoc

B: Assassination, Survival, Frost (Death Knight), Fury

C: Arms

D: Feral, Enhancement

Do you agree or disagree with their rankings? What specs would you rank higher/lower?

Not gonna watch the video but I'll comment on the premise of a tier list.

For me, I frankly don't care about the damage output being high as long as it's reasonably competent. Am I able to kill raid bosses on heroic? Good enough for me.

The only thing that really matters to me is whether or not I find the playstyle fun and if I like the theme of the spec.

In your above example, enhancement is listed at D tier, but I happen to really enjoy both the playstyle and the theme of enhancement, so I'd personally rank it at the top regardless of utility or damage capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

What, did i stumble into youtube comments by accident?
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

I don't know about the rest, but Enhancement sure is shit in PvP, super bloated and extremely squishy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    What, did i stumble into youtube comments by accident?

Not sure what you mean here.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    In your above example, enhancement is listed at D tier, but I happen to really enjoy both the playstyle and the theme of enhancement, so I'd personally rank it at the top regardless of utility or damage capabilities.

I am in a similar boat but with Feral. I've played Feral since late WotLK/early Cataclysm and would have ranked it higher due to play style and theme alone. Will always love the spec and will probably still play it in SL.

Given its current state in the pre-patch and from Shadowlands beta, however, I understand the low ranking. But I wouldn't the lowest ranking.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2020-10-24 at 12:12 PM.

Isn't this list different for everyone else?

Youtubers shouldn't make lists of which spec / class is fun because that,s not relevant, their fun is not my fun.

personally and this is without the dmg numbers but just how the spec plays in general

These are my opinions for pve content, (pvp would be a different list)

Enhancement is fun, i would place it higher

I played a rogue for a long time, and i would place outlaw lower... rtb is a cancer spell that makes the spec not fun at all, assa is fun and would place it higher.

Any DH spec, for me it,s the lowest i just don't like the class in general.
    Last edited by plukkie070; 2020-10-24 at 12:52 PM.

I disagree with nearly that entire list.

S: Enhancement, Fury, Havoc

A: Windwalker, Survival

B: Frost, Outlaw, Assassination

C: Subtlety, Retribution

D: Unholy

F: Arms, Feral

5+ Year Old Account
    I agree with them.

I love my monk and will continue to main windwalker monk until the day that I die. I love Pistol Shotting people in pvp on my Outlaw Pirate Rogue. Havoc Demon Hunter is still crazy op and will probably still be op and fun as fuck in Shadowlands and after Shadowlands too!
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2020-10-24 at 12:20 PM.

Mine is not based on categories, just what I find fun.

S: WW

A: Feral, Arms, Enhance

B: Survival, Outlaw, Ret

C: Sub, Assassin

D: Fury, Frost

F: Unholy, Havoc
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post
    TIER LIST

S: Unholy, Subtlety, Retribution
    A: Windwalker, Outlaw, Havoc
    B: Assassination, Survival, Frost (Death Knight), Fury
    C: Arms
    D: Feral, Enhancement
    In terms of playstyle, Enhancement is up there. There's absolutely no way Arms plays better than Enhancement right now, & I say that as a disgruntled Warrior main. Fury is pretty good, though - B is probably a fair reflection of a tried & tested spec with little to no changes. WW deserves the love, I'd personally put it in the top bracket & drop ret down a bit.

Opinions are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gephyrophobia View Post
    I disagree with nearly that entire list.

S: Enhancement, Fury, Havoc
    A: Windwalker, Survival
    B: Frost, Outlaw, Assassination
    C: Subtlety, Retribution
    D: Unholy
    Just saw your list. Enhancement at the top & Arms at the bottom with WW nearby? Sounds good to me.

If we are talking what is fun to play meaning playstyle and pacing, my opinion:

S tier: Unholy DK. Ass Rogue. Fury Warrior.

A tier: Frost DK. Enhance Shaman.

B tier: Sub Rogue. Outlaw Rogue.

C tier: Arms Warrior. Havoc (while being a bit spammy, there’s just too few things to press and feel impactful). Ret Paladin.

(Lowest tier for me) D tier: SV Hunter. Feral Hunter. Sad to say as these are the 2 specs I really want to love. Feral is just too slow of a playstyle and SV Hunter is designed in a way that you forgo some of its abilities for just a spam fest and makes the spec feel like t doesn’t flow or have interactivity.

Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post
    Not sure what you mean here.

That does not surprise me at all.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Imo. mobility and on demand burst especially for aoe scenarios is fun, simply because it makes your life easy and let's you look good on the meters, overall most content is also very friendly towards having on demand burst (see outgeared M+ or Visions DH versus Spriest... performance and fun are just worlds apart)

So it was often always monk/dh/warr and rogue for me but the next factor is often sadly tuning and balance or the lack thereof.

WW Monk was often a good example of a very mobile and rotational fun and good designed class that sadly was in the gutter or only mediocre for most raid tiers performance wise.
    Last edited by TheLucky1; 2020-10-24 at 01:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    That does not surprise me at all.

Ok.
    /10char

Tier lists are always a bit of opinion.
    I dislike wack-a-mole specs so anything like Frost or Ret will rate low to me, regardless of the damage they do.
    Its also hard to rate prepatch because the secondary scaling is skewed, azerite traits/neck are still active.

From what I'm seeing...

I mainly play Rogue/DK/Shaman, my concerns:
    Sub has a lot of flexibility in its talents right now, but once the secondary stats are gone, the azerite is gone, that flexibility is going to disappear. I think premed will almost be required, vigor or mfd will move up, alacrity will be worth more, etc...
    Assassination is painful to play in SL, it will drop on a lot of lists.
    Unholy will still be good, but slower. The wack-a-mole of frost may move up a bit, until haste and regen catch up and then it will devalue.
    Enhance doesn't feel completely alright, but I'm still messing with it and with builds as there seem to be a very specific lightning, ice, and lava lash build. I think ascendance is a dead talent and feels awful to play for enhance, always has they should have reworked it. Maelstrom works great, but expelling it needs to feel more impactful, different sound design, different lighting effects, etc... crash lightning should be removed or chain lightning should be worked into it, it looks great but it doesn't feel like anything is being hit when you press it. All the damage comes from using Storm Strike on follow up, which is great for SS but makes crash feel pointless and chain feel weak

Almost Entirely Disagree:

S: Subtlety, Windwalker, Feral

A: Havoc, Arms, Assassination

B: Frost (Death Knight), Fury

C: Unholy, Enhancement

D: Retribution, Outlaw, Survival

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gephyrophobia View Post
    And I just started to level a Feral! :reeeee:

Quote Originally Posted by Runstarr View Post
    S: Subtlety, Windwalker, Feral
    WHOM SPEAKETH THE TRUTH!?
    Last edited by Dalheim; 2020-10-24 at 01:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing a lot of love for Feral here. We're not alone after all.

Anyone who puts Sub at the top of their list of "fun" is just a flat out sadist.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Lol.. such a tierlist is absolutely useless. It's 99% based on:

1.) Current/past beta balance patches
    2.) "Look this does 2% more dps, so it's S tier and the other is Z tier"
    3.) Some random youtuber's personal preference and 0 knowledge on numbers
    4.) All of the above