View Poll Results: Are you for or Against the idea?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am for it.

54 75.00%
  • I am against it.

18 25.00%
  • Other (Response)

1 1.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Unlockable customization

I think it'd be really neat if Blizzard added some special tattoos/hairstyles for achievements that take 'effort'. Not Azeroth's Champion effort, but like, Mad World levels of effort.

We have transmog, mounts and titles, why not add hairstyles, tattoos, and perhaps special eye-glows to that list? I feel like it would be a nice way to spice up player character diversity, and it'd be classy as long as it's not done too gratuitously.

I know we'll almost certainly end up, sadly, getting customization in the store, but this could be a nice way to do it too, combined with simply adding new options for everyone here and there.

What do you guys think?
    thinly veiled high elf thread

Something like red eyes for elves?

I'm all for this.

if there's a few why not, but it has to be unlocked in a clean way (having a way to track it to begin with, maybe has to do with an achievement listing every single "unlockables")
    I tend to not trust blizzard to implement clean unlockables since they started to use quests as "flags" in mop

You just described allied races. Who have been in the game since early 2018.

Would be neat and a good investment, people would love to unlock new customization options for their characters.

Hard no from me

Mogs is enough, but locking character customizations behind content walls is just sour. I don't want to feel forced to do content I do not enjoy just to fully unlock character creation customizations which should be readily available to everyone

So long as it's not behind a huge grind-wall I'm all for unlocking things like extra customizations with fun quests 'n story. Allied races were cancer because of the reputation, not the quest lines. So I'm all for more things like that to unlock stuff for your account.

This actually sounds like a great idea. Sea of Thieves has "curses" and specific styles that are unlocked via in game achievements and they feel really rewarding too.
    Selling myself out below

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDragon View Post
    Hard no from me

Mogs is enough, but locking character customizations behind content walls is just sour. I don't want to feel forced to do content I do not enjoy just to fully unlock character creation customizations which should be readily available to everyone
    Lol yeah, I can picture the tab on the store screen already - limited time offer special eye glow $79.99 on sale $64.99 this weekend only!
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity2015 View Post
    Lol yeah, I can picture the tab on the store screen already - limited time offer special eye glow $79.99 on sale $64.99 this weekend only!
    Exactly

In theory it's good but in practice I just know Blizzard will make em an obnoxious grind or ridiculous promotion for money/subscription

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Allied Races require you to make a new character or use a race change so it's not really comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    What he's talking about is something like the Night Warrior eye's but on a larger scale.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Still here and still posting

Scarab Lord
    We already have, and I would expect to see more as it could make a lot of sense.

But that's the key thing - it needs to make in-game sense. If I do a military campaign, unlock a tattoo relating to that, great. If I make a treaty with a tribe for the Horde, add that skin-tone to my trolls. Stuff like that. Don't just unlock some random hairstyle or whatever.

If they put character customizations of this kind in the real-money shop, I will flip a fucking table and rage out in a way I have literally never done with WoW, ever.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2020-10-24 at 11:05 PM.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

The Patient
    Knowing Blizzard just a touch.... they might put something like a hairstyle behind "Kill 10,000 Demons on X map". Then the glowing eyes would be "Defeat all bosses in X Raid on Normal or Heroic". The the Unholy Glow Aura would lock behind "Kill All Bosses in X Raid on Mythic" . That way a simple hairstyle could be earned by anyone over time, the glowing eyes and the aura could be earned by raiders and also Sold by guilds. That way everyone can get them and guilds can make money......just like they do now. As Talking Heads once said "Same as it ever was..."

Stay safe and have fun!

I'd love more unlockable customization in the vein of Night Warrior eyes for Night Elves.

The reward has to be thematically appropriate to the content you're doing though. I don't want something that's potentially racially defining locked behind mythic raiding, keystone master, gladiator, mage tower runs etc.

At the same time I also don't care if content like that unlocks like.. a new hairstyle or haircolor for every race as those kind of things are generally pretty generic anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

In theory, yes. In practice, seeing as how this is Blizzard we're dealing with, they will thoroughly !#$% up its implementation, so no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The Jailer's first ever appearance involved chucking him [Baine] off a cliff for being too shit to even qualify as a Maw trash mob.

Don't like the idea that much. It reminds me of FF14 and the Gold Saucer. I am pretty sure you can attain some hairstyles from there. I didn't bother to go get them and wasn't thrilled they did it there either. I don't think it's that bad of concept for receiving a type of tattoo or brand. So it really depends what type of customization that we are talking about.

I was just going to comment on how Night Elves got the eyes through a quest/achievement. Speaking of which, how does one unlock that? I'd love to do that with my Night Elves.

As difficulty is always relative, time seems like the only true equalizer. So, basically Allied Race rep unlocks. These were received poorly. They tried this. Meanwhile, Night Warrior customizations were received well. Yet, Mage Tower was somehow received well. But examples like old armor sets going away permanently wasn't received well (or is mixed).
    Last edited by Razion; 2020-10-25 at 06:09 AM.

As long as they have reason to be unlocked in the story. For example, if this 'system' was implemented earlier, Tauren could choose to get Highmountain war paint after helping out their lost sister tribe, or Night Elves getting to wear Nightborne jewelry after finishing Nighthold.