Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Did Blizzard ever say why they stopped heavily nerfing raids in the prepatch?

I remember the good old days, where the prepatch would come & the raids would get absolutely pounded into the ground so people could have one last hurrah & enjoy the wackiness. TBC raids getting nerfed by 30/40% felt fantastically fun for people just clearing for a laugh, & the same is true for later expansions. I still remember laughing with the lads as we battered Manno & Archimonde in 7.0 as the nerf was something outrageous like 40/50%.

Fast forward to Argus, & there's no such nerf, just a little balancing act to try & offset the bits & bobs we were losing in the prepatch. There was no hype in our raid team for the prepatch shenanigans as there were no prepatch shenanigans - If anything, I seem to remember it taking us a few more pulls than usual to kill it the first night of the prepatch, which was a bit embarrassing for us.

And obviously the same again has happened in Nyalotha. A few oversights (like Paranoia damage) can be excused, but they really seem to be sticking to their guns & wanting to keep it similar. That 10% nerf that came in was just a quick balancing bandaid rather than any sort of meaningful nerf, which is a shame, as I'd really have liked to see them turn that up to 40% so we'd be able to go in & have a laugh blasting

Did they ever mention in a dev Q&A or something why they stopped doing this? Do you miss this, or do you think it's better as-is?

there has never been a 40% nerf to hardest difficulty, ever. 10% nerf to nzoth is HUGE, he literally flops over.

Did they ever mention why they DID do it?

Seems more like just the result of the next expansions scaling/spells/changes coming into affect more than anything else.

As more expansions came along, they got better with scaling/changes/etc, making the need for a massive nerf to combat any bad changes unnecesary.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaanuJaanu View Post
    there has never been a 40% nerf to hardest difficulty, ever. 10% nerf to nzoth is HUGE, he literally flops over.
    That on top of the 25% nerf to account for the loss of corruptions

didn't they just nerf the raid?

Am I totally misremembering? I swear MH/BT/SWP got hit by 30/40% in 3.0.2, Garrosh was squished to irrelevance, & mythic Manno/Archi went from something my guild lacked the players to keep doing in 6.2 to something we took some socials for & crushed it in 7.0.2...

I know 10% is a decent hit, but I swear they used to be hit a lot harder...

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Am I totally misremembering? I swear MH/BT/SWP got hit by 30/40% in 3.0.2, Garrosh was squished to irrelevance, & mythic Manno/Archi went from something my guild lacked the players to keep doing in 6.2 to something we took some socials for & crushed it in 7.0.2...

I know 10% is a decent hit, but I swear they used to be hit a lot harder...
    A quick look does say they were nerfed, but it did not say by how much with the exception of HFC during pre-patch

All raid dungeons from Karazhan to Sunwell Plateau as well as the outdoor encounters of Doom Lord Kazzak and Doomwalker have been adjusted and now all creatures and bosses have less health points and do less damage.
    Hellfire Citadel: Enemies on Normal, Heroic, and Mythic difficulty now deal roughly 30% less damage.
    Last edited by CerealLord; 2020-10-25 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    A quick look does say they were nerfed, but it did not say by how much with the exception of HFC
    Yeah I went to have a peak myself, but even for the 7.0.2 patch notes I couldn't find anything more than "nerfed." I swear the TBC one was at the very least 30% though.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Think its because of increasing player power which is basically the same as nerfing the raids, and just "felt" better than simply nerfing the raids by a flat amount, players woulld have some item that would increase their power of the course of the tier effectively "nerfing" the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Think its because of increasing player power which is basically the same as nerfing the raids, and just "felt" better than simply nerfing the raids by a flat amount, players woulld have some item that would increase their power of the course of the tier effectively "nerfing" the raid.
    This. In Legion our Weapon got over time more and more AP and in BFA your corruption resistence increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    This. In Legion our Weapon got over time more and more AP and in BFA your corruption resistence increased.
    I'm talking specifically about the prepatch once those systems were removed. Antorus/Nyalotha weren't really nerfed when 8.0/9.0 were released; they were balanced around these power systems no longer existing.

In 3.0.2 as an example, once WotLK was just a month or so away, the raids received a BIG nerf just so people could have one last hurrah before the new expansion landed. Same happened up until HFC if memory serves, but others here aren't so sure. We didn't lose power in any of these situations apart from maybe the 6.0 stat squish - it was just a straight up nerf to content.

5+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I went to have a peak myself, but even for the 7.0.2 patch notes I couldn't find anything more than "nerfed." I swear the TBC one was at the very least 30% though.
    I remember that the guild I was in during BC/early WotLK was struggling a lot with M'uru in SWP, even with all the goodies that came in 2.4. But once the WotLK prepatch hit, we just VAPORISED him. Boy, now THAT was a nerfbat
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

It was a flat 30% less health on top of all the class changes prepatch brought with it. I haven't found a direct statement from Blizzard, just acknowledging health reduction was intentional. Your and my memory and post #6 in this says it was 30%:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081218...32281654&sid=1

They shifted away from reducing boss power into increasing player power as a "soft-nerf". Starting in MoP with Valor upgrades, then introducing M+ and increasing the amount ilvl WF/TFs could cover combined with introducing Mythic dungeons in late WoD, this lead to the RNG party of Legion and M+ and, ultimately, Corruption in BfA. Yes, that's right, everything almost everyone hates and loves about the modern state of WoW can be directly traced back to a few whiny players saying they didn't like it when Blizzard would wholesale nerf raids late in a patch. They tried to bake in the player "power treadmill" to the game's systems.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well last week nzoth was like 7% lower than what we usually got him to. It was a huge joke AND they just did another 10%. We might just skip the secret phase now

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    It was a flat 30% less health on top of all the class changes prepatch brought with it. I haven't found a direct statement from Blizzard, just acknowledging health reduction was intentional. Your and my memory and post #6 in this says it was 30%:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081218...32281654&sid=1
    Man, I forgot how good the old forums looked. That & the PC designed spacing of the topic lists compared to the phone friendly ugliness we have now At least we still have MMO Champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Well last week nzoth was like 7% lower than what we usually got him to. It was a huge joke AND they just did another 10%. We might just skip the secret phase now
    Interesting. At least it's something.

They don't have to nerf the raid usually. The new classes may be OP. I think I saw something like that at the end of MoP because I had a Disc priest that had a bubble that could last for days and it was spammable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I remember that the guild I was in during BC/early WotLK was struggling a lot with M'uru in SWP, even with all the goodies that came in 2.4. But once the WotLK prepatch hit, we just VAPORISED him. Boy, now THAT was a nerfbat
    Don't forget that prepatches may not only nerf raids, but also buff classes. Not sure what's going on in 9.x but I've definitely seen massive buffs in the past (at least MoP and perhaps WoD and Cata).

They've been making a buttload off of people who buy ilvl and aotc boosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    Did they ever mention why they DID do it?

Seems more like just the result of the next expansions scaling/spells/changes coming into affect more than anything else.

As more expansions came along, they got better with scaling/changes/etc, making the need for a massive nerf to combat any bad changes unnecesary.
    it was mentioned in mop and wod, see those debuff on the mobs and bosses in those raids?

The game would be better if there were never nerfs and never buffs unless they are clearly considered bug fixes.
    If you did not do it when it was current then: too bad: you failed that's how reality works.
    A game should be fun but not bend reality because then it feels fake and a lie.