Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    well yea they are using thier work for profit ofc they should.
    You know, I don't know the copyright laws too in-depth, but I know I can't include a copyrighted video on YouTube for example. I can however include that same copyrighted video on YouTube if what I'm doing is under fair-use.

7+ Year Old Account
    Companies can go after content creators if they want. Most won't tho because they know streamers do nothing but help them and it would be super bad PR for them if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    SNIP ALL POSTS
    You have no idea about this industry...
    There would be no streaming of anything if your posts are true.
    Ninja, shroud or DrDisprespect are literally paid thousands of dollars to just play and promote games.
    Even Google responded that this guy is full of shit:

The recent tweets by Alex Hutchinson, creative director at the Montreal Studio of Stadia Games and Entertainment, do not reflect those of Stadia, YouTube or Google.

Well... this person is probably one of the examples why Stadia is soo bad.

I would be perfectly fine if the DEVELOPERS got royalties from streamers.
    However, we all know that money will go into the pockets of overpaid CEO's and their Shareholders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

No, they aren’t. See, for that to be the case the streamer would have to have a deal with said company that stipulates as much.
    Yes they do. Lots of people who are on the fence in regards to trying something stay on the fence until they see the product in use. There are many games that I would not have tried/spent money in until i watched a "content creator" play it and talk about it in a vid.

Hahahahaha, just because a new unregulated industry exists doesn’t mean it’s legal to profit off someone else’s copyright. Hence all the dmca claims that have nothing to do with music.
    Yeah... you and Alex guy are right and Google, streamers, indie companies are wrong...

Google has distanced themselves from the initial tweet said this is not their position or belief, it's was just one guy's opinion. So this is a bit of a dead talking point right now.

However, I do agree with the creative director who originally made the comment and I do think it will be a point of contention sometime in the future. Streamers are profiting and making an entire living in some cases off of sharing someone's work from the masses.

I cannot buy a movie and stream it to the internet and turn a profit just because I am in the lower third.

Distribution is an immensely powerful tool. I think it is merely the ubiquity of streamers and volume of games that keeps stream(er)s in the clear for now. So many streamers and cheap games. When the need for exclusivity comes about to stand out in the marketplace, a change to monetization w/r/t streaming for individual profit will be coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Yeah... you and Alex guy are right and Google, streamers, indie companies are wrong...
    I mean, they legally are allowed to push for royalties for their product, in much the same way the music industry is doing.

That doesnt make it practical, or a good idea seeing as games benefit far more from streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    He's correct in a very technical sense, but the video game market doesn't work in this manner.

In the base sense, yes pubs/devs could pull their products from streamers. Using the radio/tv station example, it's somewhat reasonable that streamers should pay a broadcast fee for the games they play.

BUT

Unfortunately for this person he doesn't understand how the economics of radio vs the economics of video games actually works. With radio, music is the end product, the user simply listens to it. With video games, the end product is interacted with, which requires the user to own the game. There is also the issue of how the radio station makes money vs the streamer. The radio station is being paid directly by advertisers, where as the streamer receives this second hand. Ultimately with radio the end user hears the music, nothing more, its consumed. With videogame the streamer is essentially advertising the game to a potential end user who will buy it if they want to actually interact with it. The argument that the streamer usurps sales is ridiculous, simply because they can't duplicate what it is to play a game for an end user. Chances are if someone doesn't buy your game because they saw a streamer playing it, they were never going to touch your game anyway, probably never even hear of it.

There is a small argument here for treating Twitch as a radio station. You could make the case that Twitch should be required to carry a broadcast license for games that people who stream from their platform are streaming. You are putting twitch in the radio station role, where the streamers are more like DJs/show hosts.

Another big BUT here... streaming is the best free advertising these games get, Nintendo or Acti could pull their games and they'd still see millions of sales, making streamers charge to play their games wouldn't hurt large titles or studios at all in the sales/advertising market. But for little games like Among US that would be dead already without streamers, they would be foolish to pick up such a business practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Google has distanced themselves from the initial tweet said this is not their position or belief, it's was just one guy's opinion. So this is a bit of a dead talking point right now.

However, I do agree with the creative director who originally made the comment and I do think it will be a point of contention sometime in the future. Streamers are profiting and making an entire living in some cases off of sharing someone's work from the masses.

I cannot buy a movie and stream it to the internet and turn a profit just because I am in the lower third.

Distribution is an immensely powerful tool. I think it is merely the ubiquity of streamers and volume of games that keeps stream(er)s in the clear for now. So many streamers and cheap games. When the need for exclusivity comes about to stand out in the marketplace, a change to monetization w/r/t streaming for individual profit will be coming.
    they can, but most games would not make even half of what they do without twitch/youtube in todays gaming world, when a new game released and some big twitch streamers show it off to hundreds of thousands of viewers obviously the game will get a lot more customers

That’s Blizzard and only Blizzard. They can do that, but it doesn’t mean anyone else has to let you profit from their copyright without paying royalties.
    you really going to insist someone googles all the major publishers for you? it's common knowledge only Nintendo had a profit sharing policy.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    He's correct in a very technical sense, but the video game market doesn't work in this manner.

In the base sense, yes pubs/devs could pull their products from streamers. Using the radio/tv station example, it's somewhat reasonable that streamers should pay a broadcast fee for the games they play.

BUT

Unfortunately for this person he doesn't understand how the economics of radio vs the economics of video games actually works. With radio, music is the end product, the user simply listens to it. With video games, the end product is interacted with, which requires the user to own the game. There is also the issue of how the radio station makes money vs the streamer. The radio station is being paid directly by advertisers, where as the streamer receives this second hand. Ultimately with radio the end user hears the music, nothing more, its consumed. With videogame the streamer is essentially advertising the game to a potential end user who will buy it if they want to actually interact with it. The argument that the streamer usurps sales is ridiculous, simply because they can't duplicate what it is to play a game for an end user. Chances are if someone doesn't buy your game because they saw a streamer playing it, they were never going to touch your game anyway, probably never even hear of it.

There is a small argument here for treating Twitch as a radio station. You could make the case that Twitch should be required to carry a broadcast license for games that people who stream from their platform are streaming. You are putting twitch in the radio station role, where the streamers are more like DJs/show hosts.

Another big BUT here... streaming is the best free advertising these games get, Nintendo or Acti could pull their games and they'd still see millions of sales, making streamers charge to play their games wouldn't hurt large titles or studios at all in the sales/advertising market. But for little games like Among US that would be dead already without streamers, they would be foolish to pick up such a business practice.
    yes if anything twitch should be paying the games companies for having their games on their platform if anything, not the streamers who is doing free advertisment

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they aren’t. See, for that to be the case the streamer would have to have a deal with said company that stipulates as much.
    Yes they are, its literally free advertisement.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Well, your post is a bit misleading. In the original tweet, he talks about those who stream a game they haven't bought. So if you've bought the game, you shouldn't have a problem streaming that game, but if you haven't bought it, and on top of that, you want to make a profit from it by streaming, well, I'm afraid I agree with Alex Hutchinson

And for everyone else, before giving an opinion, I recommend that you read well the source of what was said and the context, because it is not the first time someone's words have been taken out of context.

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    How? For what? He just doing what he does. Its purely up to the consumer to buy a product. Its not him that’s disruptive, its the consumers.
    You are a marketing exec who spent your life getting a degree in marketing, finding work, climbing the corporate ladder. Then one day, the CEO tells you that he is deeply slashing your pay because just hiring someone like pewdiepie is more effective than you are. You are going to have a HUGE axe to grind against pewdiepie. Now multiply that attitude by a legion of ad execs. pewdiepie is a target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    You are a marketing exec who spent your life getting a degree in marketing, finding work, climbing the corporate ladder. Then one day, the CEO tells you that he is deeply slashing your pay because just hiring someone like pewdiepie is more effective than you are. You are going to have a HUGE axe to grind against pewdiepie. Now multiply that attitude by a legion of ad execs. pewdiepie is a target.
    Thats...not how it works. A company still needs ad execs for more traditional marketing, especially toward parents.

If you are profiting from someone else’s copyright you need to pay them a royalty. Period.
    Talk about a hot take, also a ridiculous one to compare video games with film/music. Do you have shares in Google Stadia then?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are profiting from someone else’s copyright you need to pay them a royalty. Period.
    They already paid for the game. By buying it. Should I have to pay the Ford company royalties if I'm profiting from using a car they produced, like working as a taxi service?

They're not "profiting from someone else's copyright" because they're not creating something using someone else's copyright. Ninja is not creating a game using Fortnite's graphics, textures, names, game engine, etc. Markiplier is not creating a game using Five Nights at Freddy's graphics, textures, names, game engine, etc.

And on top of that, this entire line of reasoning of yours is nonsensical and illogical. Why? Do you think Fornite would be half the giant it is if players had to pay Epic Games to stream the game? And another example: Among Us was a game that was released in 2018, and its average players just barely break triple digits at the time. And now, suddenly, with all the streamers playing the game, the game has peaked at hundreds of thousands of players:

- - - Updated - - -

Among Us.

Case closed.

EDIT: And to further prove that this line of reasoning is nonsensical, game companies sometimes give free copies of their games to streamers so they would stream the game and showcase it to thousands of players. It's literally free advertisement.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2020-10-24 at 06:21 PM.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

I would love to see actual research on this type of stuff rather than feely anecdotes. I'm sympathetic with the idea that, like piracy, exposure could be worth the loss in revenue. But without real research and studies the arguments seem pretty self-serving.

Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    The marketing team hires people like pewdiepie. The skate3 example was him just playing it, unpaid by the devs/marketing team.

See Shroud/EA with Apex Legends.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB