Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I was flipping through those and only found people commenting about it, but no "news" about it. I'm trying to find a firsthand source about it that actually shows the event happening to understand why, and this is not me saying you are wrong by any means. It is just harder to see the whole picture of what is happening vs people putting in snippets of a picture that can be skewed. I remember that particular event as GM's told him it was fine and wasn't a bannable offense and then he was banned. There was some controversy over it and I believe he was unbanned, not sure and would need source. If he was unbanned then it sounds like something Blizzard did just so he wouldn't hit World First this way, but again need more firsthand information rather than comments from people.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqoXOQHh1wY

Sort of shows it, but instead of having a leecher, you'd have a level 70 drop group, tag the monsters and the remaining people in the group would kill the monsters, making the tagger get all the exp.

It's kind of similar, the paladin DPSes everything down to around 30% and then the mage FNs. The paladin proceeds to leave the instance (thus resetting the tag) and the mage aoes them down.

WotLK was released back in 2008, so it's hard to find data from back then.

Here's a bit more on it: http://www.test.worldofathene.com/records.php

If you look carefully you can see it's a group of 4 and Darus is outside of the group (Darus is the one that's being PL'd).

Here's the MMO-C post about it: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...view-with-Nymh

Also, by revamp, I meant the Shadowlands revamp (not Cata). The level squish reduced the time needed to level period. I doubt they intended to reduce it further by allowing boosting dungeons to be faster than questing. Partially because I imagine the formula broke when you paired a level 10 with a level 50 (if the formula even existed at all).

Regardless, you can still achieve the same effect in islands (at most it'd require 1 other booster).

Most of Athene's YT videos went private or were deleted when he started his cult.

https://www.cracked.com/personal-exp...tual-cult.html

Sadly, 2008 was before everyone broadcasted their exploits all over YT. It was exploit quietly until the exploit got fixed.
    Last edited by SteveZaer; 2020-10-27 at 07:47 PM.

Boosting was costing Blizzard money in less boosts being bought, so thats why it got "fixed"
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2020Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    If you are chain running dungeons as a tank like you said in your message then you're getting the same exp now as you did before. If you are running dungeons with a booster as a tank; the mentioning you are a tank seems pointless. I mean you aren't benefiting anyone being a tank running with a lvl 50 boosting you so why mention it?
    It sounds like he may have been making groups of 3-4 players where he was the tank. Now, doing that doesn't make sense since exp is standardized.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZaer View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqoXOQHh1wY

Sort of shows it, but instead of having a leecher, you'd have a level 70 drop group, tag the monsters and the remaining people in the group would kill the monsters, making the tagger get all the exp.

It's kind of similar, the paladin DPSes everything down to around 30% and then the mage FNs. The paladin proceeds to leave the instance (thus resetting the tag) and the mage aoes them down.
    I forgot how bad the video quality was on a lot of older videos.

As for the video, yeah if that is the behavior done then yeah I can see how that was exploiting. As that method is definitely not how anything is done in dungeons. At least with boosting you didn't have to do all this juggle maneuriving and stayed in the instance and stuff and has been around for awhile and with that method don't see anyone getting banned / heard of it. The difference between the two methods are drastically different and if Athene's wasn't exploiting it'd be definitely on that line.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZaer View Post
    Also, by revamp, I meant the Shadowlands revamp (not Cata). The level squish reduced the time needed to level period. I doubt they intended to reduce it further by allowing boosting dungeons to be faster than questing. Partially because I imagine the formula broke when you paired a level 10 with a level 50 (if the formula even existed at all).
    It's not that it broke at all. Just the formula they came up would never encounter this issue at all if there was no squish. With the squish and how they did it, it brought it back. Sure, it gave them time to revisit it but at the same time the damage was somewhat already done in that they have had it that way for so long that it became standard/normal. So when they adjusted it was like saying "We don't like your way, we are removing it."

Regardless if they like the speed or not shouldn't be the issue. Having more ways to level should be encouraged even if it is outside the norm (ie questing and dungeoning).

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Regardless if they like the speed or not shouldn't be the issue. Having more ways to level should be encouraged even if it is outside the norm (ie questing and dungeoning).
    You can still get boosted. It's just more efficient to boost in a party of 5 (or 3 for islands).

People got banned for gaming the system as early as TBC/WOTLK where they boosted in dungeons in a way close to this.
    Do you have sources on this? I tried googling and didn't find anything that fit even close to what you are describing. It's possible it existed, but I see nothing supporting your statement. As I mentioned above, boosting like this has always been in the game and people have not been banned.
    And my point on that video was you said you didn't believe it happened in TBC/WotLK.

It's not quite the same and there really is nothing wrong with a higher level carrying you through an instance.

They just normalized it so if you do the instance or get carried through the instance you get the same amount of exp. You can still get carried if you like, you'll either pay a bit more for 1 on 1 leveling or find 3 other like minded people and get group boosted. I don't think it's a world ending change.

Hell, back in WotLK I could take my geared level 80 tank and run my level 68 char through UK. I'd basically pull the entire dungeon and AoE it down in a random group. I only recall one person really complaining because "they signed up to actually need to heal someone".

Without knowing how fast boosts were before and after this change, it's hard for me to understand how big of a change this is.
    Last edited by SteveZaer; 2020-10-27 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post

That is kind of a thing. Heroic and normal scaling can make bosses easier or harder between 10 and 30 players.
    Well my post clearly said 5, normal and heroic scale from 10-30. So my point stands.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Jindujun View Post
    Nowhere in their explanation they say this is a bug. Just because it wasn't intended doesn't mean they see it as a bug. People have known this was the way dungeons worked and that is wasn't intended as the "normal" way to play the game for like 15 years. People got banned for gaming the system as early as TBC/WOTLK where they boosted in dungeons in a way close to this.

Still seems like a bullshit fix that punishes those that play the game normally (without being boosted), instead of just those abusing the system. If you can clear the dungeon with 3 people that are of equal levels you should indeed get more exp than if you were clearing it with 5, because it takes longer/is harder.

that's why my suggested fix only punishes those wanting carries but not those that actually play the game with level appropriate toons.