Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

For those who took Electronics and Communications Engineering in college

how did you cope up with studying and balancing sleep, gaming and mental health? I don't think I'm neglecting my studies but I'm starting to see failed quizzes and exams lately even though I made sure I studied well the terms, concepts, formulas, and how tf these circuits work
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Maybe, you are simply not intelligent enough to grasp it, have you considered that possibility?

The world always needs ditch diggers.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-10-29 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Minor Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    how did you cope up with studying and balancing sleep, gaming and mental health? I don't think I'm neglecting my studies but I'm starting to see failed quizzes and exams lately even though I made sure I studied well the terms, concepts, formulas, and how tf these circuits work
    If you're failing then it's clear something isn't working.
    If you're serious then gaming should only be a consideration during the weekends.
    Study and and sleep are your gods during the week. And they are jealous gods.

like every good student in history of time - by studying hard enough to pass tests.

if you fail maybe its time to rethink your life and pursue the carrier of blue collar worker not academic graduate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Maybe, you are simply not intelligent enough to grasp it, have you considered that possibility?
    Nonsense, pretty much every functional person has the intelligence to build up to the knowledge that any other person has. Some people learn quicker than others but it's just a matter of being interested, dedication, and effort. Having good teachers and support structures is also a bonus that speeds up the process.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-10-27 at 03:53 PM.

I smoked a ton of weed while doing my game design course, and played tons of games, and went out and partied. I think the weed helped carry me through it all. I also maintained a 90% average.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Nonsense, pretty much every functional person has the intelligence to build up to the knowledge that any other person has. Some people learn quicker than others but it's just a matter of being interested, dedication, and effort. Having good teachers and support structures is also a bonus that speeds up the process.
    Once again, I find it hard to take anyone seriously, who doesn't believe in the Scientific Method. What is nonsense, is someone who doesn't believe experimentation can help predict future outcomes... If you truly believed that, you wouldn't brush your teeth.

So, do you brush your teeth?

Nonsense, pretty much every functional person has the intelligence to build up to the knowledge that any other person has.
    Actually I see you as living proof as to how untrue your statement is.

If my IQ (subjectively and objectively) was over 200, a polymath of over a dozen fields in science do you really think you're going to reach my level...even as I continue to grow?

I recall a teacher saying she had 26 students, and every one of them a genius. The challenge for her was finding where their respective genius lie.

As often than not, a person's genius and his/her interests tend to coincide. If the OP doesn't find his studies interesting then he won't readily retain the knowledge. And that means he needs to really work at it. If it's all boring as hell then he's probably wasting his time.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some people are cable of having a life while going to college, while other have to sacrifice.
    For me I had to reduce gaming or change the games to less stressful ones in order to survive. Meanwhile I know someone who partied hard every week and still passed with 90+ average.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If my IQ (subjectively and objectively) was over 200, a polymath of over a dozen fields in science do you really think you're going to reach my level...
    Yes, any functional person in good health could eventually get the same knowledge that the genius had when they took the IQ test. Assuming that they have the interest and motivation for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    even as I continue to grow?
    No, there's no guarantee that a person can "catch up" to the genius in real-time, but only that they could catch up to a certain benchmark if they live long enough in good health.

Once again, I find it hard to take anyone seriously, who doesn't believe in the Scientific Method.
    I'm not sure why you keep derailing threads with off-topic conversations when you could just send me a private message.

As I've already told you I follow Karl Popper's work which shows that the classical/Baconian scientific method isn't correct because it's based on using empiricism/induction for the purpose of confirmation. Karl Popper shows that science is a deductive process of conjecture and refutation where theories are not derived from repeated observations and where it's possible that a scientific test could prove a theory is false with a counter-observation.

What is nonsense, is someone who doesn't believe experimentation can help predict future outcomes...
    An experiment tells you about that experiment but it can't tell you about the future correctness of a scientific theory. If you run an experiment to test Einstein's theory of relativity that only directly tells you about that experiment and it doesn't magically tell you about anything new in the future and it doesn't tell you about whether GTR will remain true into the future. In fact for every scientific theory our assumption should be that it's incomplete in some way and therefor wrong and must be superseded by an improved theory that gives us a better understanding of what is happening.

If you truly believed that, you wouldn't brush your teeth.

So, do you brush your teeth?
    How does that relate to science? I brush my teeth because my parents and dentist taught me that they will go bad if I don't. You shouldn't make predictions about people and teeth based on observations and correlations because by that point you would have already seen tooth decay which is undesirable. Instead you should make predictions about them based on a 'causal' understanding of how people and tooth decay works.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-10-27 at 07:51 PM.

Yes, any functional person in good health could eventually get the same knowledge that the genius had when they took the IQ test. Assuming that they have the interest and motivation for doing so.

No, there's no guarantee that a person can "catch up" to the genius in real-time, but only that they could catch up to a certain benchmark if they live long enough in good health.

I'm not sure why you keep derailing threads with off-topic conversations when you could just send me a private message.

As I've already told you I follow Karl Popper's work which shows that the classical/Baconian scientific method isn't correct because it's based on using empiricism/induction for the purpose of confirmation. Karl Popper shows that science is a deductive process of conjecture and refutation where theories are not derived from repeated observations and where it's possible that a scientific test could prove a theory is false with a counter-observation.

An experiment tells you about that experiment but it can't tell you about the future correctness of a scientific theory. If you run an experiment to test Einstein's theory of relativity that only directly tells you about that experiment and it doesn't magically tell you about anything new in the future and it doesn't tell you about whether GTR will remain true into the future. In fact for every scientific theory our assumption should be that it's incomplete in some way and therefor wrong and must be superseded by an improved theory that gives us a better understanding of what is happening.

How does that relate to science? I brush my teeth because my parents and dentist taught me that they will go bad if I don't. You shouldn't make predictions about teeth based on observations and correlations because by that point you would already have seen tooth decay which is undesirable. Instead you should make predictions about them based on a 'causal' understanding of how people and tooth decay works.
    Do you brush your teeth?

7+ Year Old Account
    Do you brush your teeth?
    Yes of course. Where is the argument here?

Yes of course. Where is the argument here?
    WHy would you brush your teeth, if you cannot predict the future based on past events?

WHy would you brush your teeth, if you cannot predict the future based on past events?
    And what about you, WHEN do you brush your teeth (if you do it)?

7+ Year Old Account
    You're asking for help on a, primarily, gaming forum. That alone speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And what about you, WHEN do you brush your teeth (if you do it)?
    Twice a day, every day... and floss. Flossing is a great way to prevent bad breath.

I do it, because science has shown what happens when you don't take care of your teeth.

God bless science.

10+ Year Old Account
    How wealthy are your parents?

IF (Parents Wealthy) Then {You can probably sustain this lifestyle indefinitely.} + {Also brag on gaming forums how you "very successful"}
    IF (Parents not Wealthy) Then {Cut out gaming to focus on exams} Or {Posture loudly for UBI on reddit and gaming forums}
    Government Affiliated Snark

7+ Year Old Account
    I brush my teeth because I understand how tooth decay works and because I want to be as healthy as I can be. For a small child they might not know exactly why they're brushing their teeth but they do it for other reasons, such as pleasing their parents or not wanting to disappoint them. According to your line of reasoning a kid who does not brush their teeth and has not happened to have a cavity yet would never need to brush their teeth because they could reliably project their past healthy experience into the future. Which is the wrong way to think about causality.

Also according to your logic we could ask the question "Why would a gambler play roulette or buy a lotto ticket if they cannot predict the future based on past events". It's simply a non sequitur, people do things for reasons(good or bad), to have fun, or to try and achieve some objective. People often do things because they believe it will lead to an improvement over the past at some point and not merely a continuation. (E.g. going to college and getting a better job.)
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-10-27 at 09:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Structure... Follow the same routine every day...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    How wealthy are your parents?

IF (Parents Wealthy) Then {You can probably sustain this lifestyle indefinitely.} + {(Also brag on gaming forums how you) + ("very successful")}
    IF (Parents not Wealthy) Then {Cut out gaming to focus on exams} Or {Posture loudly for UBI on reddit and gaming forums}
    Fixed... the quotes are inconsistent... Incapsulate to limit possible bugs. The quote isn’t a constant, I would recommend making it a variable.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I brush my teeth because I understand how tooth decay works and because I want to be as healthy as I can be. For a small child they might not know exactly why they're brushing their teeth but they do it for other reasons, such as pleasing their parents or not wanting to disappoint them. According to your line of reasoning a kid who has never had a cavity would never need to brush their teeth because they could reliably project their past healthy experience into the future. Which is the wrong way to think about causality.

Also according to your logic we could ask the question "Why would a gambler play roulette or buy a lotto ticket if they cannot predict the future based on past events". It's simply a non sequitur, people do things for reasons(good or bad), to have fun, or to try and achieve some objective. People often do things because they believe it will lead to an improvement over the past at some point and not merely a continuation.
    How would you know that, if you don't think that past observance can be used to predict future outcomes?

This is awkward for you.

My line of reasoning is that the Scientific method works, regardless of your hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-10-27 at 09:47 PM.