7+ Year Old Account

Dumbish question

So I am planning on getting a laptop. It has everything I want, the only issue is it has a 256 SSD hard drive. That probably won't be enough in the long run. My question is, if I get a external hard drive and put games on the external hard drive. Will I run into any problems when I go to run them ? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Moi2003; 2020-10-27 at 01:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You won't have any trouble, but games will load slower then an internal HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Moi2003 View Post
    So I am planning on getting a laptop. It has everything I want, the only issue is it has a 226 SSD hard drive. That probably won't be enough in the long run. My question is, if I get a external hard drive and put games on the external hard drive. Will I run into any problems when I go to run them ? Thanks in advance.
    There are external SSDs with the same speed as an eternal for gaming matters, (350MB at USB3/530MB at Type-C if your laptop has the socket), get one of those and enjoy, they are slightly more expensive than a just storage one but what can you do.

7+ Year Old Account
    I could probably deal with that even tho its not ideal. Thanks for the answer.

So I am planning on getting a laptop. It has everything I want, the only issue is it has a 256 SSD hard drive. That probably won't be enough in the long run and what are the fastest growing careers. My question is, if I get a external hard drive and put games on the external hard drive. Will I run into any problems when I go to run them ? Thanks in advance.
    Just make sure that it has quick usb 3.0 or even sata port
    that would be enough!
    Last edited by sarahk99; 2020-12-08 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    You won't have any trouble, but games will load slower then an internal HDD.
    Not really, not if the drive is USB3.

USB3 is fast enough to give basically full speed on any SATA III drive - even SATA SSDs.

You could build one yourself, by getting a cheap external enclosure and any 2.5" SATA SSD of your choice.

Basically one of these:

https://www.newegg.com/sabrent-ec-ua...9&nspgid=30930

and then throw in any bog-standard SATA III 2.5" SSD.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-10-27 at 10:54 PM.

The dumbish question as well: have you considered to replace SSD after buying? (can cause problems with guarantee)