Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post
    uh oh what do I read, a very successful game company changing the release of their content because of CP2077?
    "We still expect to finish 3.13 by early/mid-December."

    Or they were behind and used cyberpunk as an excuse? It isn't that relevant to WoW and delaying an expansion though. No one has said that there would be no impact just that it isn't big enough to delay an expansion for WoW.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Congratulations you found one counter example. Let me dig out the folder of "times WoW launched in direct competition to other major games and didn't die."
    I'm not sure if they will launch this year or next year. I'm also not the person you quoted. I don't think that Blizzard would delay an expansion that had a set launch date due to another game.

    However, there are many factors. I would assume, but can't be sure, Cyberpunk release date is probably a factor, one among hundreds I'm sure. It is unlikely to play a deciding role, but it could potentially be a consideration imo.

    It really doesn't matter to me, because I will play both and I'm not in a hurry to play either. I'd rather both games actually be good when they release, in the interval I'll play Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, or any one of the slew of other games releasing this holiday.

  3. #103
    path of exile just chose to delay their new league release because of cyberpunk lol

    everyone is just bowing down laying flat to cyberpunk

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post
    https://twitter.com/pathofexile/stat...934433792?s=21

    uh oh what do I read, a very successful game company changing the release of their content because of CP2077?

    So weird!
    So after 7 delays, they're gonna change their release based on the latest date?

    Just seems......odd. Like they were looking for an excuse to delay. Which is fine, i'm a casual PoE'er and it's become pretty clear that their 3 month release cadence just isn't working anymore.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    So after 7 delays, they're gonna change their release based on the latest date?

    Just seems......odd. Like they were looking for an excuse to delay. Which is fine, i'm a casual PoE'er and it's become pretty clear that their 3 month release cadence just isn't working anymore.
    I am pretty sure covid has taken it’s toll on this as well. It might be an excuse, it might not.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post
    I am pretty sure covid has taken it’s toll on this as well. It might be an excuse, it might not.
    Heist wasn't the first league released with huge problems, but ya them sticking to their 3 month schedule, through covid, for a bigger league like heist, was madness.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Congratulations you found one counter example. Let me dig out the folder of "times WoW launched in direct competition to other major games and didn't die."
    That was when WoW was launching from a position of strength. Now WoW is launching from a position of weakness.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    That was when WoW was launching from a position of strength. Now WoW is launching from a position of weakness.
    What weakness? They are still the top MMO or at the very least tied with Final Fantasy. Nothing else comes close.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  9. #109
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    36,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Is it sad that I'm kinda more excited for the Zombies than I am Shadowlands?
    Hmmm...sad? No. Worrying maybe. To a degree that you want to look into another game?

    On the other hand I understand you. In the lul between x-pacs, my excitement is usually zero. Because with all the new stuff comes getting accustomed to all these new systems.

    ...and I play less and less now, yet still cannot bring myself to try a new game in the meantime

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    That was when WoW was launching from a position of strength. Now WoW is launching from a position of weakness.
    Sounds to me like a variation of "WoW is dead / dying" mantra that we get since 2008

    At the end of the day, to me the comparison to Cyberpunk is contrived. WoW and Cyberpunk are such different games, you could have pulled a Pokemon game out of the hat to ask if it affects SL - at least WoW also has pet battles ^^

    Ah well...looking forward to the next circle jerk when Ashes of Creation and New World launch. At least they are also MMORPGs

  10. #110
    I think people overestimate the amount of overlap between the two. Out of 25 odd people in my guild like 2 are more excited for cp2077 then sl. Anecdotal, but this entire thread is

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post
    https://twitter.com/pathofexile/stat...934433792?s=21

    uh oh what do I read, a very successful game company changing the release of their content because of CP2077?

    So weird!
    GGG changing the release of their december expansion because of cyberpunk is absolutly pathetic. And also not the topic of discussion

  12. #112
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the same urn as Vol'Jin
    Posts
    4,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post
    https://twitter.com/pathofexile/stat...934433792?s=21

    uh oh what do I read, a very successful game company changing the release of their content because of CP2077?

    So weird!
    What no-one has mentioned here yet is that this is because of two things applicable only to Path of Exile, not WoW. Streaming, and the initial race in a league.

    WoW doesn't have any major streamers (or really even any significant minor ones, AFAIK), who do much streaming of other games which aren't WoW. And the start of a new expansion is not the most super-exciting period for streaming in some ways, as there's no raiding or M+ or much in the way of PvP.

    Path of Exile, on the other hand, absolutely does. Several major PoE streamers do play/stream other games, and I'm willing to bet at least a few of them will be doing so with CP2077 (man I keep wanting to type it's TT RPG name, I played CP2020 a ton back in the '90s). On top of that, the beginning of the league is typically the most exciting part, as people race through it, and explore the new content - none of which will have been publicly seen before (indeed it's normally new to the streamers), rather than having betas streamed for months now.

    Also frankly delaying it all the way into January from early December and saying "CP2077!" does sound a bit sketchy.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sounds to me like a variation of "WoW is dead / dying" mantra that we get since 2008
    2008? I think I first heard it in 2006 in Vanilla - Naxxramas being really annoying to key a lot of characters for (often involving a big grind or a crazy amount of money), together with the massive amount of effort to get the ingredients for the necessary pots to survive it, together with it being fucking hard compared to previous content (even if relatively easy by modern standards), together with no new content for a while meant that loads of people just stopped playing/subscribing (Blizzard themselves say less than 5% of players even saw the inside of Naxx, as compared to like 60% seeing Molten Core and 40% BWL, back in Vanilla), and that provoked the first outburst of WoW "doomsaying" that I remember. DAoC even temporarily revived for a few months. Also worth noting that a lot of people were NOT hyped for TBC, because there was a view among some that Draenor would be boring/dumb.

    TBC had a similar but less severe deal in 2008 too yeah, and in Wrath, WoW doomsaying became fashionable because people claimed that after Arthas was dead, WoW's story had nowhere to go that anyone would care about (I was one of these people I must now admit!), though it was a little different to previous doomsaying in that people were saying Wrath would be huge but WoW would decline rapidly after that. It didn't hurt that no-one had seen an MMORPG say "big" for more than 4-5 years, and WoW was coming up on that at that time.

    Since then it's become an established annual tradition to claim WoW is dead. We should probably have some sort of in-game festival where WoW ritually dies and is reborn or something. Maybe that's what the pre-patch is.
    "A youtuber said so."

    "... some wow experts being interviewed..."

    "According to researchers from Wowhead..."

  13. #113
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    36,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post

    2008? I think I first heard it in 2006 in Vanilla - Naxxramas being really annoying to key a lot of characters for (often involving a big grind or a crazy amount of money), together with the massive amount of effort to get the ingredients for the necessary pots to survive it, together with it being fucking hard compared to previous content (even if relatively easy by modern standards), together with no new content for a while meant that loads of people just stopped playing/subscribing (Blizzard themselves say less than 5% of players even saw the inside of Naxx, as compared to like 60% seeing Molten Core and 40% BWL, back in Vanilla), and that provoked the first outburst of WoW "doomsaying" that I remember. DAoC even temporarily revived for a few months. Also worth noting that a lot of people were NOT hyped for TBC, because there was a view among some that Draenor would be boring/dumb.

    TBC had a similar but less severe deal in 2008 too yeah, and in Wrath, WoW doomsaying became fashionable because people claimed that after Arthas was dead, WoW's story had nowhere to go that anyone would care about (I was one of these people I must now admit!), though it was a little different to previous doomsaying in that people were saying Wrath would be huge but WoW would decline rapidly after that. It didn't hurt that no-one had seen an MMORPG say "big" for more than 4-5 years, and WoW was coming up on that at that time.

    Since then it's become an established annual tradition to claim WoW is dead. We should probably have some sort of in-game festival where WoW ritually dies and is reborn or something. Maybe that's what the pre-patch is.
    Oh...during Naxx our guild was in full raiding swing...but in BWL and AQ. For all we cared, Vanilla could have gone on another year. Nobody thought about an x-pac and then in TBC we raided the moment raids released. Pretty seriously...all the way until Cata. Had so much fun that the doomsaying really baffled me.

    Then again, I was on incgamers forums since Diablo 2 times and it was a nice and civil forum. When I came to MMO c in 2008, it already was a cesspool (and worse than today) of spitting on anything WoW did....Even back then we had the regular "AoC, Aion and Warhammer will kill WoW" threads - but so vicious that people got outright banned left and right and discussion of other MMOs were locked down.

  14. #114
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the same urn as Vol'Jin
    Posts
    4,127
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Oh...during Naxx our guild was in full raiding swing...but in BWL and AQ. For all we cared, Vanilla could have gone on another year. Nobody thought about an x-pac and then in TBC we raided the moment raids released. Pretty seriously...all the way until Cata. Had so much fun that the doomsaying really baffled me.

    Then again, I was on incgamers forums since Diablo 2 times and it was a nice and civil forum. When I came to MMO c in 2008, it already was a cesspool (and worse than today) of spitting on anything WoW did....Even back then we had the regular "AoC, Aion and Warhammer will kill WoW" threads - but so vicious that people got outright banned left and right and discussion of other MMOs were locked down.
    Yeah this place is extremely calm now compared to the spitting ragefests I used to see even back in 2010.

    Aion, gosh, hadn't thought about that game in years. People were very sure it would kill WoW, but when I played it, I was mystified as to why anyone would think that. It was so... half-hearted.

    Some of the "WoW-killers" over the years, you could see why people playing the beta might believe that, at least on some level, because they were so passionately designed, and offered so much, and often had striking visual design, cool innovations, and so on, and maybe reminded you of WoW when it was new (pretty much all of them released "unfinished" though). Logically it still didn't make a whole lot of sense but whatever, at least they had this vibe where they had a lot of energy and ambition.

    But Aion, LotR Online and so on, it was just mystifying as to why anyone would think that. Though perhaps the most ridiculous one was Dungeons and Dragons Online. I was D&D DM since I was a kid, and even I didn't believe that was going to be big - but a lot of people did. Playing it, it was like "This seems more like a game designed before WoW ever existed, than a competitor to WoW". Even in the EQ/DAoC era DDO would have been a weak contender.

    I could definitely see avoiding Naxx and having a good time, but I saw a lot of people leave then.
    "A youtuber said so."

    "... some wow experts being interviewed..."

    "According to researchers from Wowhead..."

  15. #115
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    36,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post

    I could definitely see avoiding Naxx and having a good time, but I saw a lot of people leave then.
    Oh..we wanted to try Naxx, but we learned to raid in late 2005, started with MC and never really got good enough.

    With all the potential WoW Killers over the years, I am interested in AoC and especially in New World. With Amazon behind it, let's see if just being a big company and without passion or "putting money first" it will beat WoW (which ppl accuse of having the same philosophy now)

    But big names and franchises don't make great MMOs. I am pretty speechless that SW and LotR didn't capture more ppl.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Yeah this place is extremely calm now compared to the spitting ragefests I used to see even back in 2010.

    Aion, gosh, hadn't thought about that game in years. People were very sure it would kill WoW, but when I played it, I was mystified as to why anyone would think that. It was so... half-hearted.

    Some of the "WoW-killers" over the years, you could see why people playing the beta might believe that, at least on some level, because they were so passionately designed, and offered so much, and often had striking visual design, cool innovations, and so on, and maybe reminded you of WoW when it was new (pretty much all of them released "unfinished" though). Logically it still didn't make a whole lot of sense but whatever, at least they had this vibe where they had a lot of energy and ambition.

    But Aion, LotR Online and so on, it was just mystifying as to why anyone would think that. Though perhaps the most ridiculous one was Dungeons and Dragons Online. I was D&D DM since I was a kid, and even I didn't believe that was going to be big - but a lot of people did. Playing it, it was like "This seems more like a game designed before WoW ever existed, than a competitor to WoW". Even in the EQ/DAoC era DDO would have been a weak contender.

    I could definitely see avoiding Naxx and having a good time, but I saw a lot of people leave then.
    Monopolies are bad for everyone besides the capitalists who profit from them. Nobody except Activision-Blizzard executives and some shareholders desire for WoW to monopolize the MMO market. "WoW-killer" is a term that moved more and more from expectation to hope over the years, as the dominance of WoW became more and more apparent.

    The great advantage of WoW over it's competitors is precisely it's age, and what nearly two decades of development have added to its content. It's the difference between a giant theme park where new rides have been built every year until the park has become gigantic filled with "something for everyone" and a new park with "good ideas" but necessarily without the variety that draws in a large population.

    The term "WoW-killer" was generated by online media - the term "clickbait" would have been applied to it if it had existed at the time. It's a dramatic term designed to catch the eye, draw attention, and get clicks rather than be entirely accurate. Very few people want WoW to actually be shut down due to loss of it's playerbase to other games. What most people actually want is a variety of options in the MMO market, innovation and new ideas being marketable rather than shut down under the oppressive domination of WoW.

  17. #117
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the same urn as Vol'Jin
    Posts
    4,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    Monopolies are bad for everyone besides the capitalists who profit from them. Nobody except Activision-Blizzard executives and some shareholders desire for WoW to monopolize the MMO market. "WoW-killer" is a term that moved more and more from expectation to hope over the years, as the dominance of WoW became more and more apparent.
    I don't disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    The great advantage of WoW over it's competitors is precisely it's age, and what nearly two decades of development have added to its content. It's the difference between a giant theme park where new rides have been built every year until the park has become gigantic filled with "something for everyone" and a new park with "good ideas" but necessarily without the variety that draws in a large population.
    Age is part of it, now, but inertia, accessibility, fun and speed of continuing development were a big part of what kept it alive through the 2007-2014 storm of "WoW killers".

    Accessibility is usually something that declines with the age of a game, but WoW consistently used catch-up mechanics (even in Vanilla), borrowed power, and other changes to stay accessible. So other games could be as accessible as WoW, but not really more accessible.

    Fun is what WoW has always been good at doing in a very simple way. Other games have often managed to come in as less fun than WoW because they feel the need to add complexity or work that makes the game more "interactive", but less actually-fun. Age of Conan and WildStar come to mind. AoC made combat into fiddly num-pad molesting, and whilst it made you feel briefly clever, it wasn't much fun when you had to fight hundreds or thousands of enemies that way. WildStar took out autoattacks and required a ton more movement in combat, which could have been cool, but again, not if you make people fight just as many enemies as WoW and make them take as long or longer to kill (which WildStar did).

    Continuing development was the other issue. WoW was able to iterate on its systems. Most other MMOs had previously just put forth their basic design, and then gradually added complexity (DAoC was an exception, but that's a long story), but without really iterating on anything or reconsidering anything. Once something was in a game, it was in. Blizzard didn't do that. WoW got revised and changed and upgraded and systems removed or altered regularly in a way other MMOs didn't. Given MMOs take 3-6 years to develop, any that tried to copy WoW's ideas (and many did) often ended up copying ideas that WoW had iterated on repeatedly by the time the other MMO came out and could start playing catch-up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    The term "WoW-killer" was generated by online media - the term "clickbait" would have been applied to it if it had existed at the time. It's a dramatic term designed to catch the eye, draw attention, and get clicks rather than be entirely accurate. Very few people want WoW to actually be shut down due to loss of it's playerbase to other games. What most people actually want is a variety of options in the MMO market, innovation and new ideas being marketable rather than shut down under the oppressive domination of WoW.
    This is where I disagree.

    "WoW-killer" as a term was perpetuated by fans for a long time before "online media" used it as "clickbait". People honestly believed it, to be fair, in part because WoW itself "killed" a number of MMOs (EQ and DAoC among them, and FFXI in the West), and previously, no MMO had really lasted more than 3-5 years before essentially being "replaced", due to the population largely shifting, whether to a competitor MMO, or a sequel. Previously too, when an MMO got big, that made other MMOs successful as people left looking for something a bit different. Everyone expected this to happen with WoW, and it was actually relatively little-discussed in the media until Warhammer: Age of Reckoning.

    It's true to say people didn't want WoW to be "shut down", but there was an expectation and arguably a desire that a new game come along and "blow away" WoW like WoW "blew away" EQ/DAoC/FFXI etc., and that WoW would just fade into being another "background MMORPG", happily chugging away with a limited audience (as EQ1 still was).

    It wasn't some kind of scheme where the media "trumped up" games as WoW-killers though. That was fans. The media picked up on it and certainly used it a bit, but the vast majority of "So and so will kill WoW!" was fans.

    Right now it looks like there's nothing out there still to even really be much in the way of competition. FFXIV has its fans, but no zeitgeist and if anything seems to be getting left behind by sticking to an aesthetic that makes the game look very "2014" even as WoW's more primitive aesthetic looks more modern/lively (and it also seems to be maybe gradually getting even more "anime"). Stuff like Genshin Impact is successful but targeting a very different audience with a very different methodology (I'd actually love a game part-way between GI and WoW). Amazon's New World has been through some huge changes but really just has that "failed WoW killer" vibe already. I personally hope it's actually great, but gameplay-wise it looks like a mash-up of WoW and GW2 (leaning towards the latter), with a lot more crafting, and aesthetically it's looking like Warhammer but more colonial. And the colonial angle just seems like a terrible idea. I know they've played it down, but it's still weird AF. Why not set it on a newly emerged Atlantis or something, rather than what is obviously intended to be early colonial North America (replete with wild turkeys, bison, etc.)? It's not likely to kill it, but it's not an aesthetic/setting anyone was begging for, and it's one I think a lot of people faintly dislike and that feels a bit... "granddad".
    "A youtuber said so."

    "... some wow experts being interviewed..."

    "According to researchers from Wowhead..."

  18. #118
    Legendary! Frolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norway, Lørenskog
    Posts
    6,365
    Offtopic, their delay caused GrindingGearGames to delay the December 3.13 patch till January, kinda unreal to delay a game that is not even the same genre as our own.

    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2982929
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2020Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

  19. #119
    Also, delaying your own game because of Cyberpunk's release date would be a bit of a joke..

    X: "So, we are releasing Cyberpunk this date"
    Y: "Oh no, time to move our own game's release date because of Cyberpunk"
    X: So, we are delaying Cyberpunk for the 3rd time"
    Y: "Oh no, we have to move our own game's release date again because of Cyberpunk"

    yeah no.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    Other games' release dates have never affected World of Warcraft's release dates in such a way. In fact, there have been multiple times when Blizzard has released an expansion pack or content patch exactly on the same date as direct competition's release dates.
    Yeah, Pandas didn't have jump puzzle crap and scenarios due to release of GW2 and WOD didn't have Garrisions due to release of Wildstar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •