Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Cyberpunk Delay Affect Shadowlands?

They pushed the release back to Dec 10. Considering Blizzard has yet to announce their release date, how likely is it this could affect their decision? I personally felt like Dec 8 was the most likely date but with the fires raging just a few miles from their HQ and now Cyberpunk releasing on the 10th...I just don't know anymore

Other games' release dates have never affected World of Warcraft's release dates in such a way. In fact, there have been multiple times when Blizzard has released an expansion pack or content patch exactly on the same date as direct competition's release dates.

A direct competitor, sure I can see the logic in that. Another game tho, I am sure they do their best to avoid them if possible. With the fires and games being delayed left and right. I am starting to think that a 2021 shadowlands release is more and more likely

It did seem like the 1st Blizzard delay was them wanting to compete with Cyberpunk. We'll soon know if the conspiracy theorists are proven right if there's another delay and Shadowlands launches same week as Dec 10th.

This delay hurts shadowlands more than it does cyberpunk for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    Other games' release dates have never affected World of Warcraft's release dates in such a way. In fact, there have been multiple times when Blizzard has released an expansion pack or content patch exactly on the same date as direct competition's release dates.
    That cant be right, there is someone in another thread saying they know for a fact that Blizzard base their release dates on Final Fantasies release dates.....Cant both be right.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmist View Post
    It did seem like the 1st Blizzard delay was them wanting to compete with Cyberpunk. We'll soon know if the conspiracy theorists are proven right if there's another delay and Shadowlands launches same week as Dec 10th.
    You are saying Blizzard intentionally want to go "head to head" with CP2077?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by newt0n View Post
    A direct competitor, sure I can see the logic in that. Another game tho, I am sure they do their best to avoid them if possible. With the fires and games being delayed left and right. I am starting to think that a 2021 shadowlands release is more and more likely
    #SL2021

or its

#OverShadowedLands

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    That cant be right, there is someone in another thread saying they know for a fact that Blizzard base their release dates on Final Fantasies release dates.....Cant both be right.....
    They won't delay shadowlands to avoid cyberpunk competition is what I was implying. I literally stated in my quoted text that Blizzard has released WoW content on exactly the same dates as direct competitor's content releases.

Probably not intentionally, but they also won't avoid the competition. World of Warcraft already has a very large established playerbase, much of that playerbase has already pre-ordered, and if they don't get Shadowlands on launch, they likely will soon thereafter. Cyberpunk, a single player RPG, which I'm sure will take a decent chunk of time to play, isn't going to keep an expected Shadowlands player away from the game indefinitely. And a vast majority of Blizzard's business comes from existing customers. Even if they're working to make the new player experience better, new players are few and far between compared to the existing customer base.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard: Confident enough to constantly schedule major WoW releases to line up with other games to steal their hype.

Players: Blizz is afraid of a controversey-laden, extra-crunchy, multi-delayed, trash fire that will probably be delayed again anyway.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    They pushed the release back to Dec 10. Considering Blizzard has yet to announce their release date, how likely is it this could affect their decision? I personally felt like Dec 8 was the most likely date but with the fires raging just a few miles from their HQ and now Cyberpunk releasing on the 10th...I just don't know anymore
    The only thing that might impact the release date is the fires. If the workers can't work because their homes are burning. If Blizzard doesn't fear direct competitors they won't fear an indirect competitor not to mention there is an entire chance that Cyberpunk gets delayed for a fourth time.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

#SL2021

or its

#OverShadowedLands
    Other games do factor into a release date however, "game ready" + quarterly targets have a significant impact on the decision making process too. IIRC the streamer feedback from the likes of Preach for BfA was just as cautionary perhaps even a little less so than it has been for Shadowlands. I wouldn't read into it more than this - they're really worried about about WC3 disaster.

Although I don't think they can be saved at this point. Seems the most meaningful change they are canvasing is that you can now change genders and they've gifted some farie dragon transmog.

Meh.

Realistically these two things just don’t touch. While there’s bound to be overlap of players wanting to play Cyberpunk that also want to play WoW, Blizzards release date is not going to be affected by that because ultimately that crowd is a minority to the player base.

I too feel like Dec.8 will be the new Blizzard date and it’s going to suck for people that fall into the category of wanting both.

Who cares It's just a single player game, not like it's competitive or anything, people can play it whenever.

7+ Year Old Account
    Can't really answer that, can't really answer if Cyberpunk will release on the 10th, we just don't know because they themselves don't know. They hope and can say whatever they wish to appease people. But that's it.

This year is nothing but uncertainty and I'm going to play video games to ignore it all

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmist View Post
    We'll soon know if the conspiracy theorists are proven right if there's another delay and Shadowlands launches same week as Dec 10th.
    Well, because the only date they gave us is "before the end of the year" "another delay" would put us in 2021

Will the people buying/preordered SL keep their sub up? yes. will the servers be less stressed on release for a dual release? probably. How does this Impact Blizzard at all?

The danger of Cyberpunk releasing the same day as *another* rando game, or WoW, is that the hype may die by the time the person is done with the other game. It's not really the case with WoW. WoW spoon feeds you content over weeks and weeks, while Cyberpunk is a full on 'heres everything' kind of game.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Well, because the only date they gave us is "before the end of the year" "another delay" would put us in 2021
    Depends on their definition of "year". If they were talking in financial terms, that could be at late as June 30, 2021. Also note that they haven't specifically said "on or before 31 December 2020".

Quote Originally Posted by Rioriel View Post
    What’s “Cyberpunk”?
    Basically Sci-Fi Skyrim
    Normies eat that shit like hot cake, hence the hype.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I have no information or basis for this stuff I'm going to say, but I will say it anyway" is such a common thing here.

P.S. you're insane if you think Blizz is worried about CP2077. WoW is such an entrenched thing, the people who are going to buy SL will do so regardless of singleplayer releases. As others have said, they have released day and date with games that are actually competition for them, so the idea that they're worried about a game that doesn't overlap with WoW at all (singleplayer sci-fi FPS/RPG) is plain silly.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-10-28 at 05:06 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, cyberpunk 2077 was named correctly as that's the year it will come out in by the looks of things. SL can come out in 2020 or 2021 and the CP devs will just be training their kids to finish the game before their kids retire in 50 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Mommy View Post
    Basically Sci-Fi Skyrim
    Normies eat that shit like hot cake, hence the hype.
    Witcher 3 would have been a much better comparison considering its the next game from the W3 team and running on a new version of the REDengine.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.