Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Scarab Lord gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,602

    New baseline Death Coil & Death and Decay question

    Since all DKs now get both Death Coil and D&D baseline, is there any reason why a frost or unholy DK should be using either of those in their rotation and a blood DK to use Death Coil in theirs. This is not factoring in the healing aspect of Lichborne + Death Coil in situations. I'm specifically talking about in normal rotations.

  2. #2
    Elemental Lord Kithelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere where canon still exists
    Posts
    8,278
    Only reason I can see Blood or Frost using DC is if they have a ton of runic power and want to do a little extra damage at range (Or I guess if you want to heal your ghoul or yourself in Lichborne)

    Only reason Frost has D&D is because of Death's Due which is a upgraded D&D
    Last edited by Kithelle; 2020-10-28 at 10:10 AM.
    #WithoutRespectWeReject

  3. #3
    Coil can be macroed with Lichborne for some niche self-healing if you can't hit anything. Beyond that, it's a ranged rp dump and a pr smokescreen to convince you that the 'great unpruning' is content to bump box sales.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Only reason Frost has D&D is because of Death's Due which is a upgraded D&D
    Building on this I'm of the opinion that they made death's due first then remembered frost couldn't use it so just gave frost DnD and called it 'unpruning' since it has no use case outside of the covenant and blood and unholy already have it.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  4. #4
    both Death Coil and D&D baseline, is there any reason why a frost or unholy DK should be using either of those in their rotation
    I mean, Death Coil is bread and butter RP dump for Unholy, whaaat? You suggest using Death Strike? You even get a proc for free Death Coil. wtf
    And as for Death and Decay - your Scourge Strike hits 4 enemies while standing in it.

    For Frost DK - it's a ranged RP dump. Or self heal with Lichborne.

    I got trolled. >:(
    Last edited by ldev; 2020-10-28 at 12:45 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

    yall im smh @ ur simplified english

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Beyond that, it's a ranged rp dump and a pr smokescreen to convince you that the 'great unpruning' is content to bump box sales.

    And yet, it should have never been removed to begin with.

  6. #6
    DC is actually really good on a blood DK if you are soloing stuff, it also lets you pull from range if your grip is on CD.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - Sire Denathrius confirmed to have created the Dreadlords.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    DC is actually really good on a blood DK if you are soloing stuff, it also lets you pull from range if your grip is on CD.
    Death's Caress feels sad.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Since all DKs now get both Death Coil and D&D baseline, is there any reason why a frost or unholy DK should be using either of those in their rotation and a blood DK to use Death Coil in theirs. This is not factoring in the healing aspect of Lichborne + Death Coil in situations. I'm specifically talking about in normal rotations.
    DC has always been part of unholys rotation, and iirc DnD does more dmg per rune than SS if the target wont move out of it and you wont be capping wounds

  9. #9
    Banned Venziir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    22,435
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Since all DKs now get both Death Coil and D&D baseline, is there any reason why a frost or unholy DK should be using either of those in their rotation and a blood DK to use Death Coil in theirs. This is not factoring in the healing aspect of Lichborne + Death Coil in situations. I'm specifically talking about in normal rotations.
    ... Just how do you play Unholy?

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Arizona, US
    Posts
    2,600
    I usually roll as frost and ended up using Death Coil while running from the auto-targeting fire elementals in Mechanar last night. Otherwise... yeah, I got nothing. Niche ranged uses like that.

    Sometimes I use D&D to kill critters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    I mean, Death Coil is bread and butter RP dump for Unholy, whaaat? You suggest using Death Strike? You even get a proc for free Death Coil. wtf
    And as for Death and Decay - your Scourge Strike hits 4 enemies while standing in it.

    For Frost DK - it's a ranged RP dump. Or self heal with Lichborne.

    I got trolled. >
    Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    DC has always been part of unholys rotation, and iirc DnD does more dmg per rune than SS if the target wont move out of it and you wont be capping wounds
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    ... Just how do you play Unholy?
    I only grouped unholy into the question because I know they get those two spells too. That's the only spec of DK I don't know about because I've never played it since WOTLK and even then it was only for a brief moment. Frost & blood are the two specs I play. It was just frost in WOTLK until blood became the tanking spec (DW frost tanking FTW!!!). I just see from a perspective of frost and blood that it makes no sense to use DC in their normal rotation since it costs more rp and deals less damage and for frost using D&D which costs a rune I can't see why you would use it.

  12. #12
    DnD for Frost, pre-cast before fights for free RP or before adds spawn or as a way to get free RP during intermission phases. It can be useful breaking stealth from range, or when targets are obscured or LoS. Night Fae covenant ver cleaves Obliterates.

    Death Coil for Frost and Blood still trigger rune generation and is important to spend RP even at range so you don't overcap when using ranged RP generators.
    Last edited by Razion; 2020-10-28 at 07:11 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    I mean, Death Coil is bread and butter RP dump for Unholy, whaaat? You suggest using Death Strike? You even get a proc for free Death Coil. wtf
    And as for Death and Decay - your Scourge Strike hits 4 enemies while standing in it.

    For Frost DK - it's a ranged RP dump. Or self heal with Lichborne.

    I got trolled. >
    I could not get the AoE Scourge Strike while in DnD to work. Don't know why, maybe it's a bug, but it only hits one target. I works with heart strike while being specced blood, but for unholy it does not work for me.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    DC is actually really good on a blood DK if you are soloing stuff, it also lets you pull from range if your grip is on CD.
    you already have death's caress

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    And yet, it should have never been removed to begin with.
    I agree, doesn't make it less dodgy to sell returning it as a feature of teh expansion.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  16. #16
    honestly, death coil has some niche uses for frost dks as a damage dealing spell and even as self heal while lichborne is active (maybe even for blood, im a damage dealer myself so i wouldn't know) and although death and decay is currently useless it will have interactions with the night fae covonent ability. (which is kind of a "better" version of DaC)
    Last edited by Zambajazz; 2020-10-29 at 04:11 AM. Reason: wouldn't know

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I just see from a perspective of frost and blood that it makes no sense to use DC in their normal rotation since it costs more rp and deals less damage and for frost using D&D which costs a rune I can't see why you would use it.
    There may be times when you cannot be in melee range and are capped with runic power. In those cases, Death Coil may be useful. Between Howling Blast and Death Coil, Frost isn't totally useless if they cannot be in melee range for whatever reason.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Zambajazz View Post
    honestly, death coil has some niche uses for frost dks as a damage dealing spell and even as self heal while lichborne is active (maybe even for blood, im a damage dealer myself so i would know) and although death and decay is currently useless it will have interactions with the night fae covonent ability. (which is kind of a "better" version of DaC)
    You can say it's niche, but lichborne was originally a Frost talent and if it was taken, it was for this purpose mostly. Tbh I think the heal was even removed because of it being powerful.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    You can say it's niche, but lichborne was originally a Frost talent and if it was taken, it was for this purpose mostly. Tbh I think the heal was even removed because of it being powerful.
    oh yeah it was, wasnt it? Dk was really weird at the start

    i havent tried healing myself with it since the launch of the prepatch but you got another healing runepower spender in the form of Death Strike while you are in melee range, so thats why i said its kinda niche

  20. #20
    I think that it's important not to oversell Lichcoil's effectiveness. Especially now DS uses RP, especially now that Lichborne gives leech.

    Literally, the only time this is worth using over DS is in this perfect storm of theoreticals that almost never happen in reality:
    You are taking livable chip damage but not being topped up (which is a real rarity in Mythic and M+ content); and;
    You cannot hit the target; and;
    You are RP capped.
    If we're being honest here with how the damage profile of the game has shifted to being topped or getting one shot in meaningful content the true uses for this will be exceedingly rare. It's also probably never going to be the right play for blood.

    I admit it will probably see more use in pvp, but that's the nature of the beast. Even then the proportion of the time when this clutches to when you still just eat shit (I mean you're being hard kited and close to death as a DK that's oh shit territory) will be very low.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •