10+ Year Old Account

fairly certain clawing shadows isn't benefiting from D&D

I've only been playing on lower level unholy DKs (about 27 max) -I'm actually liking unholy, never having played it before whereas I have 2 max-level frost DKs- but there's no indication in my combat log or visual that clawing shadows is hitting multiple targets when in D&D like it should. any recommendations or confirmation that this is an issue?

3+ Year Old Account
    This is an unfortunate side effect of the leveling revamp they did. Even with the level squish there aren't enough "rewards" to give out for every level so what they did was break certain spell and abilities into pieces and give their effects to you over time. While you have Death and Decay at lower levels, it doesn't let you cleave targets with Scourge Strike / Clawing Shadows until level 43.

Quote Originally Posted by Thayne View Post
    This is an unfortunate side effect of the leveling revamp they did. Even with the level squish there aren't enough "rewards" to give out for every level so what they did was break certain spell and abilities into pieces and give their effects to you over time. While you have Death and Decay at lower levels, it doesn't let you cleave targets with Scourge Strike / Clawing Shadows until level 43.
    They actually did this a long time ago, about when they did the original pruning, to make more things you get at higher levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by terminaltrip421 View Post
    any recommendations or confirmation that this is an issue?
    Confirming that it is an issue at your level. Recommending that you read the spellbook entry for DnD Rank 2:

Many spells have a Rank 2 that grants the bonus effects we are used to at max level. Make sure you read the entire spellbook before considering things like this a bug

The tooltip is wrong at the lower levels. It says DnD lets you hit multiple targets, but it doesn't. At 43 DnD gets ranked up and the rank up says "<your ability here> hits all targets while staying in DnD", which is also wrong, but at least it gives you the functionality the original tooltip promised you.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    They actually did this a long time ago, about when they did the original pruning, to make more things you get at higher levels.
    I'll take your word for it, I never leveled another death knight since 2008 until just now for some of the heritage armor achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Confirming that it is an issue at your level. Recommending that you read the spellbook entry for DnD Rank 2:

Many spells have a Rank 2 that grants the bonus effects we are used to at max level. Make sure you read the entire spellbook before considering things like this a bug
    It is a bug/tooltip error though, since the description is wrong both times. At rank 1 DnD reads "[...] While you remain within the area, your Necrotic Strike will hit up to 4 enemies near the target". Which is clearly wrong as you stated yourself.
    You posted the description for rank 2, which is also wrong, because you don't hit all enemies near the target. You hit up to 4, like the description for rank 1 says.

There's the same issue with Monks and Spinning Crane Kick. Rank 1 has the tooltip of rank 2 and even shows the buildup of enemies hit on the icon, but it all does nothing until you get the next rank.
    I'm a thread killer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thayne View Post
    thank you. I ran into similar I don't know when but where we were granted the bonus effect to an ability we hadn't yet gotten -- a level prior to getting the ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post

as the post below you states, and to which you even posted evidence; the spellbook, which I read, says it increases the number hit from 4 to all. so maybe you could read before being a douche.