3+ Year Old Account

If you have a gun and someone comes at you with a knife

What would you do? I would shoot the person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Start blasting, but I don't see so good... so I miss.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    What did I do that the person is coming at me with a knife, probably something wrong.

Def use the gun on myself.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Is this an attempt to see if the officers did the right thing, by seeing what majority of forum users would do in a similar scenario? If so, I’d use my taser gun on said knife-wielding individual.

You know, like they should have done....
    This is a real good answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    In your veiled attempt at discussing what other topic have already ongoing debates about you left out the fact that YOU ALSO have a taser, a partner, they are not actually swinging the knife at you and you are trained to deal with this without shooting.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Depends on the situation. Always going to depend on the situation.

In a tactical situation like Afghanistan, I am probably going to go for a muzzle strike to the upper body, but I probably won't shoot unless it is someone we were trying to kill anyway.

In a home defense situation, I would shoot them, because anyone attacking me in my house needs to be neutralized as fast as possible. Confrontation in a parking lot? Depends on the knife and the person wielding it.

It X then Y is not a valid way of assessing actual violent confrontations. Real fights don't play out by the numbers like that.

In close combat knife beats gun.

So, run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    It all depends on how close he or she is... But generally, shoot in self defense.

Also...

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of idiot brings a gun to a knife fight?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Depends on the situation. Always going to depend on the situation.

In a tactical situation like Afghanistan, I am probably going to go for a muzzle strike to the upper body, but I probably won't shoot unless it is someone we were trying to kill anyway.

In a home defense situation, I would shoot them, because anyone attacking me in my house needs to be neutralized as fast as possible. Confrontation in a parking lot? Depends on the knife and the person wielding it.

It X then Y is not a valid way of assessing actual violent confrontations. Real fights don't play out by the numbers like that.
    This seems like the correct answer. The phrases "someone" and "comes at you" are too ambiguous to know the correct approach. As you note, if you're in your home, there really isn't a good option other than firing until the attacker is no longer capable of attacking. Outdoors, the plausible options range from turning tail and running as fast as you can to drawing to discourage an attacker to immediately firing. There simply isn't enough information in the question to determine the correct course of action.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is this an attempt to see if the officers did the right thing, by seeing what majority of forum users would do in a similar scenario? If so, I’d use my taser gun on said knife-wielding individual.

From what I have heard, they did not have tasers due to budget cuts.

https://copblaster.com/blast/26024/p...arry-stun-guns

And there are other news sources which say they did not have tasers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...rs/ar-BB1as0GX
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-10-29 at 10:38 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

From 10 yards in, someone with a drawn knife can have it in your throat in <2 seconds. If your gun is holstered you have a very narrow chance of being able to successfully draw and fire (the Tueller drill). If your gun is out and pointed, it's still a life-or-death IRL quick time event to live.

5+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if you're aware, but there is a thread to discuss recent events. Keep discussion there, but all talk of harming people is strictly forbidden.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."