Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I find that doubtful since he was in control of most of what Blizzard did so he could have treated employees better if he wanted to. Care to link any of those interviews?
    Did you even bother reading his recent interviews or just post "How you feel about his leaving"?

Mike Morhaime was making $12.3 million a year before retiring. So, he went to a advisory role and then quit altogether because he wanted to "retire". A year or so later he is back to work. Nothing about that makes a bit of sense according to the "people just leave". I cant find any records on his new yearly income for his new company.

Do yourself a favor. Take 3 minutes and skim through his interviews. He was not at all happy with the direction and employee treatment at Blizzard. Not to mention the news reports of exactly that, that Blizzard pays and treats employees very poorly. How would you like to be paid in skins from a dead game (Heroes of the Storm) and charged full price? Surprise, we gave you HotS skins instead of actually money...arent you thankful?
    Last edited by Sunslayer; 2020-11-03 at 10:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunslayer View Post
    Did you even bother reading his recent interviews or just post "How you feel about his leaving"?
    I will ask again, care to link any of those interviews? Nothing I posted is about how I feel. He was CEO. He could have had the company treat employee's better if he really wanted to since you know he was in control.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I will ask again, care to link any of those interviews? Nothing I posted is about how I feel. He was CEO. He could have had the company treat employee's better if he really wanted to since you know he was in control.
    Do a google search man. Really? You cant be that lazy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do a google search man. Really? You cant be that lazy.
    So quit being lazy, google the articles, and provide a link to the stuff you keep referencing.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Mike Morhaime was making $12.3 million a year before retiring. So, he went to a advisory role and then quit altogether because he wanted to "retire". A year or so later he is back to work. Nothing about that makes a bit of sense according to the "people just leave". I cant find any records on his new yearly income for his new company.

Do yourself a favor. Take 3 minutes and skim through his interviews. He was not at all happy with the direction and employee treatment at Blizzard. Not to mention the news reports of exactly that, that Blizzard pays and treats employees very poorly. How would you like to be paid in skins from a dead game (Heroes of the Storm) and charged full price? Surprise, we gave you HotS skins instead of actually money...arent you thankful?
    I watched and read all the interviews I could find with Mike and I didn't see anything about him being "not at all happy with the direction and employee treatment of Blizzard". Blizzard also doesn't pay and treat employees "very poorly", certainly not by game development standards. I can't find any articles supporting that. They're not the highest-paying company in the area, but they're not ripping people off, either.

So this seems like bullshit to me mate. Maybe I missed some interview where he was really scathing about Blizzard, but if so you need to link it.

As for $12.3m a year, you clearly don't understand most wealthy people. There are a few people, especially those with really wild/insane lifestyles, for who no amount of money is enough. They will never quit as long as the money keeps flowing, except for more money. For most people, though (and I say this personally knowing quite a few people with tens of millions, not least my godfather), once you have a couple of tens of millions, you're set for life, your kids are set for their lives, and most people then starting thinking "What do I REALLY want to do with the time left to me on Earth?" instead of "MAKE MOAR MONEYS!!!!". This is why you get people with tens of millions often going off to do passion projects and start studios and software in gaming, but it's much the same outside of gaming - people often keep working in the same general sphere, but they move on to what they care about, rather than what's profitable. Or some just realize they aren't into games at all - Bioware's founders never particularly wanted to make games, for example, though it was cool, and long before they formally quit, both had basically "checked out", one of them to manage his brewery, I forget what the other was doing. One of the founders of CDPR checked out a while back and is just managing a restaurant, because that's what he actually cares about.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

10+ Year Old Account
    I am hoping that they can respond fairly quickly after it ships to get more content in there. I wonder if it would be better if we could mount from the getgo. Seems light on mobs. Maybe if it was mob heavy it would feel more dangerous, different threatening mechanics, IDK. That mechanic where the valc picks you up/drops you isn't great though. As is, I won't be in there for "fun", which I think is a problem.
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Running around killing stuff, exploring, gathering stuff isn’t fun?
    It depends a lot of the implementation. It was OK in Mechagon, quite annoying in Nazjatar, and the Maw in its current state... it's simply awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

It's only alpha beta prepatch release first tier first patch - they'll still have plenty of time to figure out one of the biggest selling points of the expansion... just like they did with Azerite... and Islands... and Warfronts.

Trust us guys, we'll totally not have another 12 months of a boring and mundane grind before eventually getting around to make shit more bearable.

Games are no longer developed solely by the developer. They were, once upon a time. Now there's a feedback loop. Content released - Reaction by consumers - Reaction to the Reaction by the Developer - Changes to the Game - Reaction to the changes by consumers, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Consumers are unpaid testers and entry-level developers of the game. They are below interns.

So the idea that the Maw was intended to be fully formed is silly. It's much more cost-effective from Blizzard's perspective to start sparse and barren and build the Maw according to player feedback. You know, the exact way it's happening in actuality.

The ultimate form of this - the developer presents nothing at all to the player. The player says, "Man, there could sure be a cool game here!" He then tells the developer the details of this cool game, and the developer codes it into reality, after a long back-and-forth with the consumer. The consumer does some of the conceptual design work, and is "rewarded" with having to pay for the game that he himself helped design.

In practice this is an absolute mess, since the player-base cares much more about systems and power-based content than about story. So Blizzard almost never takes suggestions on building the lore of the world, while they are hyper-receptive to every word spoken by Preach. This results in a mix of Blizzard's artistic vision on the story side and a focus-tested consumer-driven power progression side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There's mobs that when you kill them, it dismounts them and you can take control of their mount for a minute. I've always managed to find them patrolling the paths so I doubt they'll be hard to find.
    it is THE SOLUTION they came with ? LOOOOOOOLL so pathetic from blizzard, no mount zone will be a disaster on live, i cant wait to see the QQ coming out on official forum lol

The Maw is Hell, why do you guys expect it to be fun? Hell is not supposed to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkan View Post
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/shadowlands-development-update-october/666214

So around 3 weeks ago, Blizzard posted a bluepost about the development of Shadowlands, and in one of the paragraphs they explained how they were going to improve the Maw through both gameplay and its rewards.

However, all we've ever gotten so far are just new rewards, we haven't gotten an update or whatever on the gameplay-side, which is really worrying considering how nearly everyone that has tested the Maw has had only negative things to say about it.
    There's only 4 weeks left until the expansion launches, do you guys think they'll save these changes for a future patch or somehow fit it in a build in the coming weeks?
    Initially Maw was intended to be super-hardcore zone. Another vision-like crap with soft-timers. I would never set a step there. Dunno, if it would be fixed by release. I guess they've simply abandoned it and going to release it as it, no matter, if it's viable or not.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Anrakyr View Post
    The Maw is Hell, why do you guys expect it to be fun? Hell is not supposed to be fun.
    Jailer: "NO-ONE ESCAPES THE MAW"
    Player after 30 minutes: "Cya kids."
    Jailer: "WUT?!?!"

The first 30 minutes of Shadowlands kinda kills its hellish vibes The Maw is basically Tanaan Jungle with less going on in a bigger environment, and the use of a mount restricted because something something meaningful gameplay.

It genuinely makes The Broken Shore (not including the Mage tower) look like good content.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Initially Maw was intended to be super-hardcore zone. Another vision-like crap with soft-timers. I would never set a step there. Dunno, if it would be fixed by release. I guess they've simply abandoned it and going to release it as it, no matter, if it's viable or not.
    It isn't hardcore... its one of the easiest end game zones they have made they just added a timer mechanic for how long you can stay in it though you can cheese it. Its just a place to do a daily grind in. If you go in accepting that its a meh zone. Just don't go looking for more.

So has anyone here tested the new Maw changes? What's different compared to before?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

All you keyboard warriors complaining have idea what it takes to make the drastic changes you want. It is not something you can just do in 3 weeks. It will take a minimum of 2 to 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    So has anyone here tested the new Maw changes? What's different compared to before?
    They added upgrades to stop the tier four jailer ability from lol insta killing classes that cant prevent fall damage.

I've not noticed anything else that has changed. Mobs might of had their health and damage tweeked a bit but not in any noticeable way.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    They seem to have sprayed a few repeatable quests here and there, and slightly nerfed mob HP. Nothing terribly different.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    All you keyboard warriors complaining have idea what it takes to make the drastic changes you want. It is not something you can just do in 3 weeks. It will take a minimum of 2 to 3 months.
    They had that time and they didn't do anything with it...

In two to three months all they did was add a item you can grind for that stops classes that cant prevent fall damage from being insta gibbed at level four of the jailers eye.

I am sorry but that just isnt good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    People leaving years apart from each other isn’t an exodus.

- - - Updated - - -

There is like no info at all that points to this being the case the biggest non information we have gotten is people from blizzard north who haven’t worked there for years and years talking nonsense.
    As well as people that have 20-30+ years with a gaming company when the typical dev has like 3 years average. Even top brass diesn stay that long with companies. Blizzard has had a very rare, nice, but rare situation.

Note, all the big names that left were independently wealthy and could afford to leave and do something different than the same 3 IPs for the last 25 years.