Last days of the Election.

There is mourning again in America. This week under president Trump more men and women have been infected with covid than ever before. There is restlessness and anxiety among many. Few can honestly say that America is now in a better place than it was, nearly four long years ago. But this week is not a week for sadness. Because never before has the hostility and darkness of the past years been more starkly contrasted with the opportunity of the now ever closer alternative. That is why I hope you'll not be anxious, but hopeful. Look forward to the election like I do and take on these last few days with the energy that the prospect of change for the better can bring. This week we stand at the doorway to post-Trump America. A better, fairer and wiser America that you can personally help ensure.

The past year has clearly shown all doubters that elections really do matter. How many covid struck Americans would be alive today under a competent president that read their briefings, trusted scientists and acted accordingly? Many countries that were struck sooner, with less information available and fewer resources at their disposal are in a better state now than the US. The failure of leadership is undeniable.

Beyond the real and avoidable ramifications we see today there is the strength of the message that the election can send: If America rejects Trumpism and the anti intellectualism and bigotry it stands for then America redefines itself. It tells these lunatics with their MAGA flags and red hats that are blocking off highways and intimidating other voters that their time is over. A nation can grow by what it tells others of itself. There is perhaps no clearer example of that than Germany, who renounced Nazism while accepting responsibility for its wrongdoings and truly changed its path. In this election, America can grow as well. But for that to happen Donald Trump has to lose and lose hard. And quite frankly, he's more than earned it.

We've often heard him say things like "the economy was doing great, then Covid happened and now I have to start over". Like the disease was out to get him, like Covid happened to spite him and his chances for re-election somehow. But what he never realized is that it wasn't about him. It happened to America, on his watch. It was the one big test of his presidency and he failed, and failed utterly and miserably. He didn't unite the country. He didn't take sufficient measures. He knew in February what the virus was and he didn't tell people out of fear they'd panic. He denied and downplayed the problem, while pushing false cures and bogus miracles. By denying and lying about it, and arguing with reporters who obviously were right to question him he made it a political issue about himself. In doing so he deeply hurt America, as we can all now see. He hurt Americans in their ability to protect themselves and their families by convincing 30% of them that no care needed to be taken. A pandemic requires a unified people, acting together to prevent the spread. He stopped that from happening. Republicans often fearmonger about Democrats and 2A, but your right to properly protect yourself has never been more brutally violated than it has under Trump during this pandemic. Your personal well-being has never been put at greater risk.

A president who fails so deeply should have the decency to resign or, lacking that decency, should be voted out. That should be common sense as well: add 230.000+ dead Americans to any résumé and it becomes a hard sell when applying for a job at McDonalds. The Presidency, I believe, should be held to an even higher standard.

Frankly, former Trump supporters should have little concern voting for his competition. Joe Biden is not some scary communist. Hell to be honest a decent number of Democrats consider him too moderate. Yet they'll vote for him all the same because he's a decent man, a family man who is tempered by great personal loss. A man even stout republicans like Lindsey Graham have strongly praised for his character

There is a wonderful opportunity for change here. An epic rebalancing of the scales, and I truly hope you'll go out to vote to put an end to this failed presidency. If you've already voted that is good, but you can still do more. Convince people, drive people to the polling place if you have to. Do something more today.

And then, maybe, it will be morning in America once more.

5+ Year Old Account
    8/10 for the effort

Thank you.

O look, another election thread about to be locked/closed.

Watch this become next mega-thread as counting is extended by weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    like it always does?

This thread is about americans not wanting to confront the contradictions within thier country. stuff like

maybe, it will be morning in America once more.
    triggers me.

You want to feel really triggered, the op just rehashed Lincoln Project's "Morning in America" ad.
    Hey op; credit to where it's due...eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    You want to feel really triggered, the op just rehashed Lincoln Project's "Morning in America" ad.
    Hey op; credit to where it's due...eh?
    You may not believe this, but I had not seen the ad. I guess the angle of changing the old Reagan ad is more obvious than I thought. Either way the shape isn't what matters most. The facts are.
    Last edited by Warning; 2020-11-02 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    You mean like normal?

5+ Year Old Account
    Please post in the appropriate mega-thread.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."