Page 1 of 2
LastLast

When were TV and Movies at their best?

in your opinion

i would say around 2009/2010 was when i really enjoyed them , so many great comedies and dramas and the soaps were brilliant..

The 70s when Norman Lear was king.

"Norman Lear has held up a mirror to American society and changed the way we look at it."
    ~~Bill Clinton

TV is best now. That's not even debatable. Movies still to this day are dominated by Hollywood, which was at its best in the 1970s imo.

Outside of Hollywood in total, movies are probably better now than they've ever been, and if this continues Hollywood will be under greater and greater competitive pressure, which might result in improved quality.

The 1990s had some awesome TV shows ... so I'd say 1990s.

The best TV series ever happened from 1994 to 1998 as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    TV is best now. That's not even debatable.
    Well if you only count stuff that is on now - you are quite correct.

However - TV has been around for quite some time, and the current crop of TV is nowhere near the top - that's just the painful truth.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

The 60s through the 70s, and maybe a little bit of the 80s.

• The Twilight Zone
    • Star Trek
    • Bonanza
    • The Waltons
    • Little House on the Prairie

Starting with the 90s, the average quality of American films and television begins to plummet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda partial to the 80's and action...both tv and film

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    that is such a difficult question because almost every decade/year has outstanding television and movies. for me personally I think the 90's wins out, followed closely by the 2010's

Late 90s - early 2000s is where the highest density of "things I like" are.

It's still subjective though. There is no objective "best".

For television, I'd say the past decade, solely because we have lots of interesting new shows to watch while making older shows even more accessible with the increase streaming platforms and quantity of shows within them.

Everything was better in the 90s.

10+ Year Old Account
    definitely the 90s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The 70s when Norman Lear was king.

"Norman Lear has held up a mirror to American society and changed the way we look at it."
    ~~Bill Clinton
    "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
    Bill Clinton

Sorry couldn't resist lol (I promise I'm not trying say what you said is untrue or anything...just wanted a little lol )

The only correct answer is on the 90s.

All other answers are wrong.

For TV, you can find good stuff pretty much during anytime. For movies, I would say the 15 year span of the late 70's, through all the 80's, and into the early 90's. Practical effects seem to have hit a high mark during that time, plus just some many different but awesome movies came out.

5+ Year Old Account
    When I was a kid watching them.

I think the New Hollywood era was pretty neat.

TV: 1993...now (The X-Files...)
    Movies: 1965...now (New Hollywood...)

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    late 90's early 2000's

Basically the time Period of shows like Buffy, Angel, Stargate, Smallville, X-files, The Pretender, Scrubs etc.

Just a couple of years ago was the peak of a golden age of TV. So many good shows with of course GoT as king. Some of these shows are still going, like Stranger Things, but others have ended like GoT and Veep.

I think 2020 was the end of this age though. Very underwhelming year so far.

For children's TV, the 90's had some of the most creative, fun and disturbing TV shows, particularly in the cartoon department with shows like Courage the Cowardly dog, Dexter's Lab and such, followed by the cartoon renaissance in the 2010's.

I cannot speak too much for movies, as I've never been much of a movie-goer. I get most of my entertainment from games and anime.