Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Leveling is just too fast

One of the problems mentioned by Blizzard was that when there were 120 levels, each level just flew by so quickly, there wasn't really any chance of trying out your abilities at a reasonable pace. The pacing was completely off. You have 120 levels, but each of them just meant so little, as levels would just be raining down from the sky. No chance for gaining a level to actually feel meaningful. And that was already the case with just the heirloom experience bonuses, before the Winds of Wisdom buff.

Check back here with what they said regarding this
    https://youtu.be/6OHDAwg-Tw4?t=899

Now they've reduced levels by more than half. Perfect time to tune the pacing of leveling. But what does the pacing look like? Levels still fly by really fast. We now have way fewer levels, and gaining a level is still trivial because you spend mere minutes on each level. Had they actually wanted to make gaining levels more meaningful, they should've increased the time it takes to gain each individual level.

It's just not possible to deny, with a leveling time of around 10 hours, even if you're taking your time, it's just way too fast. It might not be too fast for you if you hate leveling and just want to be done with it. But as far as making leveling an actually compelling experience, making the act of creating a character and taking him on a journey actually exciting, especially in regards to the new player experiencing this for the first time, it's not achieving what they claimed they wanted to do.

I'm honestly a little confused. They wanted it so you could level more through an expansion but on my char in WoD I'm level 40 and just leaving the WoD starting zone (where your garrison is). By the time I've got half way through the second zone (if that) I'll be 50. It doesn't feel like much has changed really.

Quote Originally Posted by daisyheadmayzie View Post
    One of the problems mentioned by Blizzard was that when there were 120 levels, each level just flew by so quickly, there wasn't really any chance of trying out your abilities at a reasonable pace. The pacing was completely off. You have 120 levels, but each of them just meant so little, as levels would just be raining down from the sky. No chance for gaining a level to actually feel meaningful. And that was already the case with just the heirloom experience bonuses, before the Winds of Wisdom buff.

Now they've reduced levels by more than half. Perfect time to tune the pacing of leveling. But what does the pacing look like? Levels still fly by really fast. We now have way fewer levels, and gaining a level is still trivial because you spend mere minutes on each level. Had they actually wanted to make gaining levels more meaningful, they should've increased the time it takes to gain each individual level.

It's just not possible to deny, with a leveling time of around 10 hours, even if you're taking your time, it's just way too fast. It might not be too fast for you if you hate leveling and just want to be done with it. But as far as making leveling an actually compelling experience, making the act of creating a character and taking him on a journey actually exciting, especially in regards to the new player experiencing this for the first time, it's not achieving what they claimed they wanted to do.
    Nah man, it is fine how it is imho. Everyone I know is playing wow for a long time and we all have seen the content over and over...actually getting a character ready for shadowlands just by leveling in my favorite expansion is just awesome. Boosting chars through dungeons and islands was a thing because leveling took long and was boring af. This is a very nice solution to this.
    New player experience is a different thing. But you won't find a new player who will max his toon in 10 hours. Also I don't know if it would be good for a new player who wants to play a multiplayer game to level for ages through almost empty zones. Get them to shadowlands asap and be done with it... ^^

Yeah you gain like 5 levels just going through the Tanaan Jungle intro experience. That video that was posted yesterday with the guy speedleveling from 10-50, he hit like Tanaan Jungle, Silverpine Forest, Hillsbrad Foothills, Gorgrond and then some of Talador, Spires of Arak and Stonetalon Mountains, and he was done. It doesn't look like you can really level through any expansion completely, certainly not if you wanna do a dungeon here or there or maybe some island expeditions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering WoW is an endgame focused game, it makes sense to me. There’s only a handful of things you can do on one character, but with a few alts, there’s numerous things to do. Especially with shadowlands, I think blizzard wants people to have 4 or more characters so that they can have one character in each covenant. Leveling hasn’t been an integral part of the overall experience since vanilla and to be honest, won’t ever be. There won’t be a time where we quest for 60 levels.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

This is the perfect example of no matter what you do someone will complain about it. In fact likely the same person. If it was much longer what are the odds OP would of made a thread "leveling is just too slow"? Quite high, because these are examples of people finding something to complain about because they want to complain.

But on a real reply did it ever occur to you that WoW is never going to attract new players if you have to spend a long ass time doing old content before getting to the latest xpac? New players will want to play shadowlands, not slog through the shitty old content you seem to think should be mandatory.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-11-02 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Easyclassictopkeklel View Post
    Nah man, it is fine how it is imho. Everyone I know is playing wow for a long time and we all have seen the content over and over...
    Those people are the ones that need new characters the least.

This was done for new players. Because 120 levels is too scary for new players.

Quote Originally Posted by MatPandaZ View Post
    I'm honestly a little confused. They wanted it so you could level more through an expansion but on my char in WoD I'm level 40 and just leaving the WoD starting zone (where your garrison is). By the time I've got half way through the second zone (if that) I'll be 50. It doesn't feel like much has changed really.
    That sounds a little off unless you're also farming or something else because I finished my allied race's FFR doing nearly if not every quest in the zone at 40 or so and didn't start WoD until 20 or so.

It's fast, but this seems a little bit like hyperbole unless yours was also allied race(assuming most people skip ER on non) and you farmed, you're not being 100% true.

Also WoD is the fastest by a good margin. If you were doing the other expansions like I think BC is one of the slowest, it would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    This is the perfect example of no matter what you do someone will complain about it.
    No, this is the perfect example of, I never asked for this to begin with.

Those people who hate leveling are happy with this change.

I don't, so I never asked for leveling to be reduced to this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Considering WoW is an endgame focused game
    I reject your hypothesis.

While you may not like the change, he's right someone will always have an issue regardless of what blizz does. Imo I rather they do this if it means we get more people playing and enjoying current content. Besides nothing stopping you from completing the expac post 50.

No, this is the perfect example of, I never asked for this to begin with.
    Many people asked for this to begin with. WoW is only as relevant as it's latest xpac, no sane person nor new player wants to slog though out dated content just to fulfill your masochism.

But really lets cut the charade. This is a wine and cheese thread. If it wasn't this you would of found something else to complain about. Did your team lose today or something?

Those people are the ones that need new characters the least.

This was done for new players. Because 120 levels is too scary for new players.
    And new players get BfA content not WoD which is known to be the quickest due to the way zones are set up

I have 2 friends that just started and aren’t capped after 10 hours which is fine and they aren’t slacking

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    That sounds a little off unless you're also farming or something else because I finished my allied race's FFR doing nearly if not every quest in the zone at 40 or so and didn't start WoD until 20 or so.

It's fast, but this seems a little bit like hyperbole unless yours was also allied race(assuming most people skip ER on non) and you farmed, you're not being 100% true.

Also WoD is the fastest by a good margin. If you were doing the other expansions like I think BC is one of the slowest, it would be different.
    Just the wod taanan intro is the fastest lvling,but the rest of it,wile pretty fast is in no way the fastest by any margin,its not even the fastest,there are questhubs in outlands that outshine it simply because of its rly small area,like terokar(outland) has a ton of quests all very concentrated around a small zone,wod is very spread out and large,the fastest lvling route is knowing those ''sweet spots'',just doing wod start to finish is not good if speed is what u want

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    nothing is stopping you from going back and playing through each expansion, JFC...
    Horde always.

10+ Year Old Account

It's incredibly possible to deny that leveling is too fast, because it's not. New and average players aren't hitting 10 hours of leveling without following something like Azeroth Auto Pilot, and then that's on them. it took me like 17+ hours as an experienced player to play through BFA side Horde stuff because, surprise surprise, I took my time, read quests, watched cutscenes, and didn't rush things, much like newer or more casual players do. I could actually follow a story without jumping around and didn't have to abruptly leave zones and empty my quest log, and it all contributed towards allied races so I was unlocking them while leveling, essentially killing two birds with one stone, where as before I would go 110-120 before finishing a single BFA zone. Earlier levels in the old system were worse, you basically choose between the first half of a few expansion starting zones for entire level brackets which kinda really sucked. 80-85 for me always just the first half of Hyjal or Vashj, both zones I absolutely despise at this point and will gladly never do again.

Basically, the system is better because it gives you options. If you play it casually you get a casual experience, like I did doing horde side BFA. If you push it and use AAP and such then you can go really fast, but that's on you. And if you're still stuck in 1999 when it took a week of nothing but grinding mobs 10 hours a day just to get to get from 49>50 and you both like and think MMOs have to be this way or else you don't don't make a meaningful connection to yours pixels or something about immersion, theres a really good old school EQ server you should check out. It even has some of that good old fashion massively toxic old school MMO community everyone thinks was great back then too.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2020-11-02 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    Just the wod taanan intro is the fastest lvling,but the rest of it,wile pretty fast is in no way the fastest by any margin,its not even the fastest,there are questhubs in outlands that outshine it simply because of its rly small area,like terokar(outland) has a ton of quests all very concentrated around a small zone,wod is very spread out and large,the fastest lvling route is knowing those ''sweet spots'',just doing wod start to finish is not good if speed is what u want
    WoD has the most densely packed areas and a lot of tricks you can also use like in Gorgrond. Almost everything I've seen agrees it's hands down the fastest without gimmicks as in just plain questing. If you read my earlier post I'm implying without gimmicks which is factual. If you're skipping around and cherry picking and popping potions are certain key spots....technically WoD still has better ways of doing it via cheating the objective zones to 1 mob, holding monster hunter items(although some claim they're bugged atm as in the rares nuke you), etc. IIRC BC didn't get updated with those.

The point in the thread is you don't even get to do WoD start to finish. You finish by mid Gorgrond with skipping some of FFR.

I just wish they would let you chromie time at 50 so you can scale at cap, I really don't get why they don't want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post

I agree and the main questline of each zone in WoD is only like 20% of the quests in that zone. So if you want to experience the story stop doing all the side quests and complaining lol.

Be horrible if to lvl to 50 you had to do every quest in the expansion.

Personally I love the slow levelling experience. I'm happy to spend a few months levelling an alt up. Kickback, spend an hour or so in the evenings in your favourite zones, get immersed, get to know your character. Take your time working on professions. As for the endgame stuff, that has very, very little attraction for me. I can't be bothered with it, frankly.

Fortunately the 'turn xp off' option is still in-game. It needs to be advertised more widely, but it's still there. Maybe even make it an option from Chromie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    It's incredibly possible to deny that leveling is too fast, because it's not. New and average players aren't hitting 10 hours of leveling without following something like Azeroth Auto Pilot, and then that's on them. it took me like 17+ hours as an experienced player to play through BFA side Horde stuff because, surprise surprise, I took my time, read quests, watched cutscenes, and didn't rush things, much like newer or more casual players do. I could actually follow a story without jumping around and didn't have to abruptly leave zones and empty my quest log, and it all contributed towards allied races so I was unlocking them while leveling, essentially killing two birds with one stone, where as before I would go 110-120 before finishing a single BFA zone. Earlier levels in the old system were worse, you basically choose between the first half of a few expansion starting zones for entire level brackets which kinda really sucked. 80-85 for me always just the first half of Hyjal or Vashj, both zones I absolutely despise at this point and will gladly never do again.

Basically, the system is better because it gives you options. If you play it casually you get a casual experience, like I did doing horde side BFA. If you push it and use AAP and such then you can go really fast, but that's on you. And if you're still stuck in 1999 when it took a week of nothing but grinding mobs 10 hours a day just to get to get from 49>50 and you both like and think MMOs have to be this way or else you don't don't make a meaningful connection to yours pixels or something about immersion, theres a really good old school EQ server you should check out. It even has some of that good old fashion massively toxic old school MMO community everyone thinks was great back then too.
    That's something that people are ignoring. A brand new player will need to play through the BfA zones as well so they might as well since it's going to eat up time. Funny thing is they won't be told that. Not sure how the transition will work once SL hits as in does it direct right at 50 and that was the intent all along in terms of being able to level entirely outside of BfA because then it won't matter that you didn't run those zones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    I agree and the main questline of each zone in WoD is only like 20% of the quests in that zone. So if you want to experience the story stop doing all the side quests and complaining lol.

Be horrible if to lvl to 50 you had to do every quest in the expansion.
    I mean I did every quest I saw when it was new and every expansion I usually hit cap before you're "supposed to". I'm pretty sure I was capped in WoD either before Nagrand or shortly inside. I mean these people saying it's "too fast" are probably also in WoD because they heard it was the fastest.