Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    People are really missing the point. It's not about whether you get to finish an entire expansion's story, it's not about how many zones you can level through or whether you can turn off experience or not.

It's about "gaining a level" being meaningful, and Blizzard has said that it's not really meaningful when you just rush through the levels. Gaining a level should be, and it used to be, something where you went "yeah, I just dinged". It was something you worked towards and anticipated. "I'm close to dinging". It should be something where you are thinking about all the things you can do once you get to the next level. "I'll be able to get this skill from the trainer". "I'll be able to equip this weapon". "I can finally go and find a group for this dungeon". "I can now go visit this zone". etc. These are the things that make leveling interesting. Not the fact that it's over in 6 hours.

It can't be meaningful if you spent mere minutes on each individual level.

Blizzard have screwed up leveling for those who actually liked leveling. If you actually liked leveling the way it used to be back in Vanilla, or even TBC and Wrath, then there is no way you can think that the current leveling experience is superior.

If you always hated leveling and think that leveling got better with Cataclysm and improved further with every expansion, then you'll probably like the current leveling experience. Just know that you're wrong.

The current leveling experience is shallow, meaningless and doesn't belong in an MMO and is one of the reasons the game has fallen so far.
    Last edited by aldurhan; 2020-11-03 at 01:25 PM.

Shadowlands is releasing soon, just fyi. It adds roughly 15 more hours of leveling to the total experience.
    The 3 dh spec is increíble.

"Leveling is too slow thats why new players dont stick to this game, noone wants to level for 50 hours"

Blizzard makes leveling faster/easier

"Leveling is too fast, wtf blizzard you can get from 1 to 50 in 5 hours."

some people are never happy

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    "Leveling is too slow thats why new players dont stick to this game, noone wants to level for 50 hours"

Blizzard makes leveling faster/easier

"Leveling is too fast, wtf blizzard you can get from 1 to 50 in 5 hours."

some people are never happy
    This is one of the most repeated and most nonsensical comments.

It's obviously different people wanting different things.

The people complaining about fast leveling are clearly not the same people complaining about slow leveling.
    Last edited by aldurhan; 2020-11-03 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shuubu View Post
    Shadowlands is releasing soon, just fyi. It adds roughly 15 more hours of leveling to the total experience.
    wow 15h......

Quote Originally Posted by Vrinara View Post
    First it's too slow. Now it's too fast. Make up your fucking minds people!

You're killing me smalls..
    Not a question for you, as you're done, but for others:

why do people always post this bs? How hard can it be to realize there's at least two groups, and if you give group A something that they like and B doesn't, group B will say something, and if you give group B the opposite where A doesn't like it and B likes it, group A will say something.

They seem to think there's only A group?? Are they just stupid and can't imagine anyone else beyond their own peer group? Are they just insanely egoistic and can't think about anyone but themselves?

Wtf is going on, this concept "different groups complain about different things" is so god damn simple and obvious, really simple, how can they not understand it? Are they just fucking trolling me?
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

The OP assumes newcomers are jumping into WoW and going through WoD, speed levelling, except that's not the case.

If you're brand new to the game you're forced to Exile's Reach (45 min-1 hour) then you move on to BoD, which even experienced players are taking 10-12+ hours to finish. Plus almost lining up with finishing the full story line. So for anyone getting into the game for the first time they will have a "full" experience, and one that's relatively quick. Especially compared to the janky way most would have progressed through the game before.

If it's your 2nd, 3rd, 7th time through it should be faster. So, you chose WoD and you want to crush some levels? Great! If you wanted to choose WoD to finish the storyline, still great! You'll hit 50 halfway through, then you can go back and finish if you'd like, there's nothing stopping you.

The one big thing they wanted to fix was the weird "milestones" while levelling. Such as, opening Outlands and Northrend, then MoP and Cata, then WoD, then Legion, then BoD. Think about visiting Org during your levelling experience, there's almost always a new Warchief in charge, which is confusing AF.

The system is far from perfect, but it helps brand new players get a full story leading into SL's while also rewarding players with alternatives to make it as fast or as slow as they would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    it's insane, they might as well just remove leveling.
    I think once you have leveled a class to max level you should be able to make a character of that class at the new base level of the current expansion anyway. I have had to level far to many characters because Blizzard likes to keep the servers from all being fully connected when there is no need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    wow 15h......
    You are lucky leveling doesn't get removed completely cause it's pointless content. Not even 1% of our play time.

All those resources would be better used at max level. So, be thankful of what you got.

Quote Originally Posted by MatPandaZ View Post
    I'm honestly a little confused. They wanted it so you could level more through an expansion but on my char in WoD I'm level 40 and just leaving the WoD starting zone (where your garrison is). By the time I've got half way through the second zone (if that) I'll be 50. It doesn't feel like much has changed really.
    I played the main story in frostfire ridge and im 25 wtf?

Also pacing feels perfect for me. Newcomers will lever much slower. And for veterans Leveling is trivial content anyway. Nothing stops you from playing the quests at max level if you wanna nerd out on the story. But dont force others to.

Everyone on the forums is complaining that their heirloom XP was nerfed - I think they should just put the 50% back on heirlooms, and increase the normal numbers by 50% for people that want to take their time growing into a character and savoring the journey. For new players, what's the point in slam dunking the part of the game where you grow and understand your character just to be tossed into the deep end of the "I've been hardcore for 16 years" community. A majority of people I see running around leveling are still in heirlooms anyway... and that's not counting the people that've transmogged them. I'd say that new players going from 10 hrs to 15 hrs /played to hit max is not that much of an issue. Hell... we used to complain about games that only had 10-15 hr main story campaigns back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    You are lucky leveling doesn't get removed completely cause it's pointless content.
    You heard it here first folks - the story and exploration of Warcraft is pointless. The real game is running down the same 12 hallways ad nauseam for a chance at a .4% upgrade.
    Last edited by Akibaboy; 2020-11-03 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keldarepewpew View Post
    I played the main story in frostfire ridge and im 25 wtf?

Also pacing feels perfect for me. Newcomers will lever much slower. And for veterans Leveling is trivial content anyway. Nothing stops you from playing the quests at max level if you wanna nerd out on the story. But dont force others to.
    Where did I say people should be forced? People responding to me here like I'm complaining. I'm not, I am sharing my experience with the levelling. I got to level 50 in Gorgrond. The last 2 levels were basically done in 2 dungeons.

You are lucky leveling doesn't get removed completely cause it's pointless content. Not even 1% of our play time.

All those resources would be better used at max level. So, be thankful of what you got.
    Then they wouldn't be selling any boosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Akibaboy View Post
    Everyone on the forums is complaining that their heirloom XP was nerfed - I think they should just put the 50% back on heirlooms, and increase the normal numbers by 50% for people that want to take their time growing into a character and savoring the journey. For new players, what's the point in slam dunking the part of the game where you grow and understand your character just to be tossed into the deep end of the "I've been hardcore for 16 years" community. A majority of people I see running around leveling are still in heirlooms anyway... and that's not counting the people that've transmogged them. I'd say that new players going from 10 hrs to 15 hrs /played to hit max is not that much of an issue. Hell... we used to complain about games that only had 10-15 hr main story campaigns back in the day.

You heard it here first folks - the story and exploration of Warcraft is pointless. The real game is running down the same 12 hallways ad nauseam for a chance at a .4% upgrade.
    You would like that. The story and exploration does not require leveling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aldurhan View Post
    Then they wouldn't be selling any boosts.
    I thought the leveling was too quick, therefore nullifying the need for it? What's it gonna be?

AKA both of you stop your belly aching. Leveling is fine. If you don't like it, please, FFXIV is there for you.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the leveling was too quick, therefore nullifying the need for it? What's it gonna be?

AKA both of you stop your belly aching. Leveling is fine. If you don't like it, please, FFXIV is there for you.
    No, quick leveling destroys the purpose of leveling. Boosts still sell because for the people who hate leveling 6 hours is still too much, and they will continue to buy boosts and demand leveling is made faster.

Leveling is at a perfect pace right now.

My biggest issue with the revamped levelling is that you STILL can't go to a high-level zone (i.e - icecrown, netherstorm, shadowmoon valley) and be able to play through even one zone to completion. I did netherstorm on warrior recently, and was two group quests away from finishing - while the 2-3 man group quests were usually soloable with effort, the 5 mans were just totally out of reach. The zone was dead on my shard, and since they blocked premade finder for sub50s, couldn't take that route either.

I'd honestly like to see either a patch 2.3 pass when they removed group quests and elites from nearly all vanilla content, or opening up premade finder for group quests, maybe after level 15 or so if they're that bothered by spam.

Raiding doesn't *require* loot either. You should just go for the fun of the gameplay right? To see the sights and sounds? Raiding is fun, so why the carrot on the stick?

Imagine this: Some gamers like leveling. Some gamers like gameplay, immersion, friction as part of their experience. For example, I'm currently playing a campaign in Tactics Ogre for the 14th time. I don't want to boot up the game and see the story with a full armada of steamrollers... I ENJOY being a scrub, acquiring new abilities, unlocking new perks, expanding what I'm capable of. I've done it a dozen times before, and will probably do it from the ground up a dozen times again. That process and the story are a symbiotic relationship, and enriches the experience of playing an RPG. World of Warcraft has never been any different to me.

But of course, people like us always get the cruise control auto-response of "Just go back. You can go back and finish the story." Sorry, but dunking trivial mobs isn't gameplay to me. Spamming 1 button to insta-genocide a camp of enemies isn't gameplay to me. I might as well just go watch a Youtube playthrough because that's the same level of excitement and engagement I'd have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know man, I love it. Never been a better time to level some alts.

But at the same time, I wonder what this would do to a new(er) player.
    That though is really my only concern, that someone isn't given enough time to really learn the game.
    As a veteran I think its awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    I don't know man, I love it. Never been a better time to level some alts.
    yeah because it's fast

being able to do something fast, that is usually slow and excruciatingly painful and boring to you, feels fun

but to people who have always liked leveling, the fun part doesn't come from that

it comes from the journey, immersion and exploration