Poll: Should they extend DH's to other races?

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    There was no reason it had to be limited to begin with, they just couldn't be assed to make the textures/animations for all the races.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

It won't happen because the class requires more work than it is worth by comparison. Not like the class is a selling point for an expansion anymore. Little to no chance of it happening.

Lore reasons are not really that substantial. Blizzard gives no fucks about continuity.

They should.

Just resolve the starting area problem the same they resolved the DK start area for Allied races.

Nightborne are an obvious pick for a demon hunter, maybe Void Elfs too, so all elves om both sides can pick up the glaives.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's literally no reason lore wise why there would need to be more Demon Hunters made, since the Legion isn't the threat it once was. Also, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Illidan kept key parts of the ritual a secret, specifically so others couldn't go around creating more DHs.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

10+ Year Old Account
    NB and Velfs?

I mean, Why not?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Firstly, lore reasons. There are no other demon hunter races in the lore, period. You cannot twist that part no matter how much you want to.
    The lore indicates that there is nothing unique to Night Elves and Blood Elves that make them the only ones capable of becoming Demon Hunters. So any race, just like with monks, could become a Demon Hunter under the lore. The origin story is of just Night Elves and Blood Elves being in the ranks but now that they are out and about they can easily train others.

Also remember the game has created a Murloc Demon Hunter. So yeah. Lore doesn't stop it from happening. Sure it is more of something "funny" or an "easter egg" but it still exists in the lore now. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Murgulis

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Synros View Post
    There's literally no reason lore wise why there would need to be more Demon Hunters made, since the Legion isn't the threat it once was. Also, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Illidan kept key parts of the ritual a secret, specifically so others couldn't go around creating more DHs.
    The order hall campaign has you "train" new recruits. That is the lore surrounding the recruits for the class hall mission table. While they created a story to fit the mechanics it is still part of the story. The legion doesn't have to be a threat to create more. Demons are still out there. They can shift to a new purpose since the Legion is defeated as well.

There is no reason to hold lore back just because of past lore.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Can they ever, realistically, allow other races to be Demon Hunters...?
    No

And should they?
    ...and no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Void Elves and nightborne are the obvious choice. There are practically legion-aligned nightborne demon hunters already.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I think Orks and Draenei would make sense, but not Lightsworn or Mag'har. I could also see the lore being pushed to include dwarves (at least Dark Irons) and trolls but it would be a stretch.

Any other races and it would look like they were brushing the lore away to give people a chance to play what they want.
    I could totally see trolls doing it. They've stuck their toesies into every kind of dark magic at least once. And as said above, we got the demonaics from vanilla.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Void Elves and Nightborne make sense to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    If they can Retcon allied races into becoming Death Knights, I don't see why they can't do the same for Demon Hunters if they really wanted to.
    Yeah, Mecha-gnome DKs basically ended any attempt at defending "muh fantasy!" as an argument against expanding race/class combinations.

Robot DKs, yeah, that makes perfect sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

What unique animations? You can test it out by using an Orb of Deception, night elves will turn into Forsaken and all the animations are fine except for gliding not having wings. Demon Spikes, Fel Rush, Blade Dance etc all work and things like Chaos Strike, Immolation Aura, Sigils and Soul Cleave all use regular weapon attack animations.

Realistically, could they? Yes. Would they? Fuck if I know.

No, from a lore pov it makes no sense because demons are no longer a threat and only about 1-4 out of 10 survive the process of becoming a DH.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Yeah, Mecha-gnome DKs basically ended any attempt at defending "muh fantasy!" as an argument against expanding race/class combinations.

Robot DKs, yeah, that makes perfect sense.
    Cyborg not robot lol.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    I think they could expand it to Orcs and Draenei as both were in Illidans army.

But if you are asking if any other races are willing to blind themselves and eat demon flesh for the slight chance they may not go mad or die during the mutation than no. With the Legion all but gone there is no point.
    Wasn't the whole "Demon Hunters can only be Elves" shtick because Elves were fast and nimble etc?
    I don't see Orcs nor Draenei being as agile as Elves, but then again, Blizzard gave us Night elf mages and then Pandaren Death Knight so it's not out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I think Orks and Draenei would make sense, but not Lightsworn or Mag'har. I could also see the lore being pushed to include dwarves (at least Dark Irons) and trolls but it would be a stretch.

Any other races and it would look like they were brushing the lore away to give people a chance to play what they want.
    Draenei/Lightforged/Broken would only be a cool a demon hunter if the demon involved in the ritual was your brother/sister/cousin/friend that betrayed you and your people. You could be a survivor that didn't escape with the Draenei eventually discovering a tome with the ritual in it and use it to get revenge and go Rambo on Argus and have the starting area set pre Legion.

And should they?

I must admit that I think a female Orc DH would LOOK badass, I was never a fan of Elves, but hearing someone say that it WILL happen "because there's support in the lore" without getting a source nor clarification brought me here.

Or is it just a case of them pulling what they did with DK's and it's just a matter of time...? If so, what races would make sense?
    Funnily enough Blizzard answered that question in a recent Hearthstone adventure. Yes, it's not canon, but it is out there. Next to the main character, a Nightelf, there is an Orc, some others and even a Naga becoming a Demon Hunter.

While elves are some of the most versatile and adaptable creatures in the world (look at all the things that have been Nightelves: Naga, Spiderpeople, Harpies), I doubt they are the only ones that can become Demon Hunters.

But in the end, I feel that any and all class/race combinations should be possible. Many combos are Lore-breaking already and people should just be able to play what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Which part of the writers not being constrained by the lore do you not understand?
    It's not like they couldn't re-write the whole DH starting area and make all the necessary retcons as to why there is now a gnome DH next to Illidan but I'm fairly certain they will not do that.

Just cuz you can get hit by a truck any single day does not mean you are hit by a truck every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    LMAO

First statement and you're already dead wrong
    Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The lore indicates that there is nothing unique to Night Elves and Blood Elves that make them the only ones capable of becoming Demon Hunters. So any race, just like with monks, could become a Demon Hunter under the lore. The origin story is of just Night Elves and Blood Elves being in the ranks but now that they are out and about they can easily train others.

Also remember the game has created a Murloc Demon Hunter. So yeah. Lore doesn't stop it from happening. Sure it is more of something "funny" or an "easter egg" but it still exists in the lore now. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Murgulis

- - - Updated - - -
    The lore indicates that there is nothing "unique" about literally any of the classes.
    As I said, nothing stops an Orc from becoming a Druid.
    But simply put, orcs are not druids, period.

There were not and are not any other demon hunter races in the lore. You cannot deny that, period.

No. No real reason anymore. Legion is defeated. There are remnants but there is no need to go to such drastic meassures anymore.

The line: "blablabl i have suffered blablabla" Doesn't come from nowhere.

The whole reason for DHs came out of pure desperation. No reason to destroy yourself anymore for it. So no new DHs. The ones exitsing are even from the time of BC NOT new.
    We don't even play new DHs. SO where the hell should they come from?
    DKs have been made new in the lore by Bolvar. Becuase DKs don't give a fuck about your feelings.
    No Demon Hunter would make you go down there path if there is no need for it. That is their whole shtik.