Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    Even if you are rich, I don't get it how can people throw so much money at microtrasactions. I mean, a few bucks for an awesome DLC or expansion with a lot of content? Sure.
    Now, skins? Toys? Mounts? The problem is the people, if no one bought that shit, they wouldn't make it.
    Right? The value just isn't there. Blizzard releases store mounts that cost 20 bucks whereas companies like CD Projekt Red put out DLC with 10-20 hour playtime for 10 bucks. I will never understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    The severity changes for me depending on the target audience for the game. When a hardcore CRPG comes out with preorder/DLC skins & in-game pets I tend to think a bit less of it because the game is primarily aimed at adults who can make their own minds up about that sort of stuff. Fifa however is gambling aimed primarily at children, which to me is a hell of a lot worse than most titles.

I'm like you. I'll always buy soundtracks, but other than that, it's almost always just expansions & in-game content. I stopped buying WoW store mounts/pets back in Cata/MoP & I'm glad to say I've stuck with it since.
    I know but I just don't buy DLC anymore unless it is really worth it to me.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Right? The value just isn't there. Blizzard releases store mounts that cost 20 bucks whereas companies like CD Projekt Red put out DLC with 10-20 hour playtime for 10 bucks. I will never understand this.
    What's to understand? People pay for mounts that cost 20 bucks... hence they sell them for 20 bucks.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Huh, what? What's so weird about paying money for a cosmetic skin that you really like aesthetically?
    Because they are almost always overpriced. A WoW skin or mount for example, how many hours do you think it takes to create it? They use already existing animated skeletons btw, and they sell it for 20€.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    What's to understand? People pay for mounts that cost 20 bucks... hence they sell them for 20 bucks.
    I meant, that I don't understand why people buy these overpriced digital items.

Heartstone can be considered a microtransaction? because in physical card games, you need to buy cards. My point is buying boosters is not something "additional"

7+ Year Old Account
    People like to own things, people like to brag and show off those things. It's human nature. We prefer to be in "have" than "have not" group. Riot Games started (and keeps going strong) with selling LoL skins.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    People like to own things, people like to brag and show off those things. It's human nature. We prefer to be in "have" than "have not" group. Riot Games started (and keeps going strong) with selling LoL skins.
    It's a human weakness, especially when people are incapable of seeing how something that cost a company maybe a couple hundred dollars to produce that has no ACTUAL limitation on it (as the good is digital) could/should rake in as much as it does.

15+ Year Old Account
    And yet I've played WOW and a few other Blizzard games since 2007 and not spent a penny on micro-transactions, why? because I have a choice. People forget we have a choice and act like there's a dude behind them with a gun. Companies exist to make money and they will do anything they can to make money yet even in 2020 this logic baffles and disgusts people? honestly blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    It's even worse than that. It also includes King, their mobile game arm, which accounted for almost a third of their revenue, and the new CoD mobile game from Activision.

Further still, the $1.2 billion for Q3 is technically "net amount of downloadable content and microtransactions sold during the period". So it isn't just MTX, it's also DLC (though some consider those the same thing).
    And Shadowlands is technically DLC, JS

- - - Updated - - -

Because people want to buy them?

The WoW shop is unlikely to be significantly large portion of this number, outside Shadowlands itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    The WoW shop is unlikely to be significantly large portion of this number, outside Shadowlands itself.
    I'm willing to bet WoW tokens and the cash shop are a decent chunk of it though.

So WoW is a b2p, p2w (to some people who buy tokens to get boosted via gold) subscription-based game with an ingame shop.
    WoW is honestly making gacha games look good practices-wise.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because it has value to them. I'm sure there's stuff you buy that someone else would balk at. It's the exact same thing.

Boycotting seems to be going really well guys, they might need to fire a bunch of people again on these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    Microtransations are a predatory practice. The people that came up with the idea know that people are willing to spend a few $ and most won't look at their total spending until its to late. Same reason LoL makes so much money, I have plenty of friends who buy skins once in a while because its only a $5-$10, but after a couple years they have spent $4-$500 on a "free" game. I also used to work taking calls for mobile subscribers... it was alarming how many people would call in to see if we could reduce their bill because they spent $1000's on in app purchases. The fact that you can now make purchases via apps and have them charged to your phone bill, if you don't want to put a credit card on your acc is also something I do not agree with because this seems to bypass the "are you actually sure you want to spend this much real money" part of purchases for many apps. With a card you at least have to put in the cc code ect... but if you don't add a card purchases just go through as fast as if you were using in game currency so many people do not even seem to be aware that they are spending actual money or are ignorant to the fact until they get a phone bill that is more than the down payment for a house.
    If people are stupid enough to fall for it then it is their own fault. Functioning adults have full free will and can say "I'm putting that wallet down."

Well tbh i have the money to buy stuff like this. I don't because ALL of the transmogs in the Blizz shop are shitty anyway.

But i do buy tokens simply because i am to lazy to farm. And i am not sorry for it. I like playing the game. I hate auction house gameing and i hate farming on top of grinding.

Is it thrown out money? Yeah probably. But i rather do other stuff than run aroudn for hours to get the money. So i don't mind the 20€ every 3 month on top.

people have a hard time understanding the concept of community thats why you see people being exploited and failing to realise they are even being exploited because "Its only $20 I earn that in half an hour at work" "I havent paid for WoW since they introduced tokens" becauses one's focus is on their own individual needs not the collective. What is healthy for the game is ridiculed because "you must be poor if you cant afford $15 a month thats like two drinks at a bar" failing to see the forest for the trees and the man behind the curtain continues to make eye watering amounts of money because they can get away with charging obscene prices for changes of code which most games would offer free anyway. Especially server transfers.

Common player now is all about ones self.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It is predatory any way you try and spin it. I actively refuse to buy DLC unless it is a full on expansion to a game.
    So you claim one thing and then disprove it. That's a pretty solid argument there.

I am also in the "I will never P2W or buy cosmetics" crowd. But I'm not naive enough to demand that people should spend their money like me. Good on ActiBliz for making so much money. Their shareholders should be pleased and it should also be pleasing to the players. The shareholders get richer and players can look forward to more content both cosmetic (if you like that) and playable content. Who knows. Maybe some day I will buy something cosmetic from the wow shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Common player now is all about ones self.
    You meant people.
    Players are just a sub category. But they act like the rest. On every subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    You meant people.
    Players are just a sub category. But they act like the rest. On every subject.
    Yes indeed, but I was specifically talking about behavior in video games because much like people act differently online, they offen act differently in games too.

Someone who is a nice person who earns a good living will fail to understand why paying $25 for a different colored mount is bad for the game.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.