Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunslayer View Post
    I play with friends Ive known for over 13 years in WoW. Those friends expect me to maximize my character as I also expect that from them. Instead of saying "play with friends" change that to "play with friends that dont do challenging content, or just dont care".
    Whats challenging content?

Does mythic raiding only count if you do it in the first two weeks?

Otherwise - and yeah this may baffle you, minmaxing to the last % isnt whats gonna get a kill or not. Sorry bro

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    True to an extent, but you can't undervalue optimization too much. If someone can get 5-10% extra out of their character by honing their rotation then that's great, but leaving 5-10% on the table from suboptimal choices is basically free damage.
    What about leaving 10% damage on the table by choosing the weaker spec, class or people to raid with? The point is that optimization in any form is a highly subjective matter, everyone has a different opinion on what to priorize and which steps to skip.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Yes, but you're almost always leaving much more on the table by playing something you don't like. People that don't like something usually aren't going to perform as well for multiple reasons.
    True. Still, this isn't really an issue outside of mythic when you're playing in a guild environment. Pugs can set whatever ridiculous expectations they want, & if people don't like it, they can make their own groups.

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    What about leaving 10% damage on the table by choosing the weaker spec, class or people to raid with? The point is that optimization in any form is a highly subjective matter, everyone has a different opinion on what to priorize and which steps to skip.
    That's entirely fine if the people you're playing with are fine with it. It's all about finding the guild that fits your needs the best: if you find it irritating that 90% of the other raiders are playing meme specs & suboptimal talents, you probably belong in a better guild. If you find it irritating that someone criticizes you for playing the wrong DPS/healer spec & you're falling behind the pack, then you should probably find a more tolerant/lower-ranked guild.

As far as pugging goes, well, it's 100% up to the group leader. If someone wants to set Herald of the Titans & 2400 3v3 rating as requirements for a Nyalotha normal run then good for them

The cycle of MMO-C logic
    Pre-release
    It's only 3/5/7%
    Just play with friends
    I'm picking for RP reasons
    It only matters to the 0.00000000000000001%

Post-release
    WTF bros I just got kicked from a 10 for having the wrong covenant why is the community so toxic *emoji*

But seriously so many of these are kyrian because of the soulbind that hasn't been dumpstered like all the other strong ones were (easy to make choices matter when the choices don't matter). Once that gets hammered into the dirt it will change.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Can't wait for the whining shitstorm on the first post-launch tuning of Covenants and every FOTM-FollowTheMeta guys panicking about """having to""" change their Cov.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninix View Post
    Can't wait for the whining shitstorm on the first post-launch tuning of Covenants and every FOTM-FollowTheMeta guys panicking about """having to""" change their Cov.
    And the also all whining from all the "casual" that say "iM GonNa PIck mY cOvEnaNt BaSEd oN RP" who now cannot join any group because their performance suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    The cycle of MMO-C logic
    Pre-release
    It's only 3/5/7%
    Just play with friends
    I'm picking for RP reasons
    It only matters to the 0.00000000000000001%

Post-release
    WTF bros I just got kicked from a 10 for having the wrong covenant why is the community so toxic *emoji*

But seriously so many of these are kyrian because of the soulbind that hasn't been dumpstered like all the other strong ones were (easy to make choices matter when the choices don't matter). Once that gets hammered into the dirt it will change.
    I pugged my way to full +15's as a retribution paladin in bfa. What are you on about? This is a myth that people who cba to get their RIO score up or cant play their class use to justify removing systems that show their inadequacies

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    And the also all whining from all the "casual" that say "iM GonNa PIck mY cOvEnaNt BaSEd oN RP" who now cannot join any group because their performance suck.
    They are already so close in performance that its not whats gonna get you kicked from groups

AotC = Ark of the Covenant

That is all.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Damn, I was thinking about going Necro or Venthyr because I like the themes and sets and now it its Kyrian or GTFO? Hope they balance those covenant perks because I just can't like the Kyrians

Retribution Paladin - Venthyr (lol)
    While this combination seems strange on first glance, if you think it over thematically it makes quite a lot of sense (since you are not sent there as a soul to repent your own sins but you directly join the harvesters, helping others to redeem themselves from the sins of their past), similar to Alexandros Mograine joining the Necrolords.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    Damn, I was thinking about going Necro or Venthyr because I like the themes and sets and now it its Kyrian or GTFO? Hope they balance those covenant perks because I just can't like the Kyrians
    I think the differences are vastly overexaggerated, especially in the cases where it only comes down to the Pelagos soulbind. This "massively overpowered" soulbind gives you 5% Versatility (Oh, the humanity!).
    Compare that with Nadjia, who gives you a 10 second Bloodlust every 90 seconds and either stronger flasks, pots and food or a flat 3% single target bonus and Pelagos' advantage shrinks to very little.
    Other Soulbinds are quite bad though admittedly.
    Last edited by Galathir; 2020-11-04 at 02:31 PM.

TBH, originally covenants supposed to be this free for all buffet where most of the food on the table was exciting and yummy, and the main problem was "How could I ever choose between this 3-4 yummy foods? I want them all!", but then as the beta went on blizz nerfed the shit out of them so now it's like the same buffet after half a day when you desperately try to pick something that's relatively recognizable and doesn't look absolutely disgusting or spoiled. "I'm just hungry!"
    Nice.

It literally will happen in extreme niche cases only. ANY dumbasses that kicks people over the minor damage difference of covenants is a fucking moron you don't want to group with as player ability, class, talents, and what you ate for dinner last week have a bigger impact on how good/how much damage you will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    The war between numbers x the Covenant you like ..begins (Yes, Blizzard already knew this was going to happen).
    This is only likely to be a thing at the very top end and the usual wanna-be top end. Either way, you make the choice to follow the meta, not the game, there will be plenty of pugs that don't require perfect covenants and still complete the raid/dungeon, because outside of bleeding edge .2% mythic raiders it really won't matter, and those people never get a choice no matter what system Blizzard goes with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean. In BFA I've always checked peoples traits and essences before inviting them. If a hunter didn't have 1 rapid reload trait in S4, he wouldn't be invited.

Pretty sure it's gonna be similar in SL D1 with covenants.
    Hi

There's always gonna be the most optimal way to play the game, and there will always be groups that will take people without the most optimal setup, if they are good enough. Just be good enough.

I have a guild, but I usually end up pugging m+ due to playing weird hours outside of the raids. Didn't have any issues getting groups throughout BfA despite not playing a FOTM class/spec. I don' believe this is gonna change because of covenants.

I am gonna play the best one though, cause I wanted to play it anyway, lol.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    I think the differences are vastly overexaggerated, especially in the cases where it only comes down to the Pelagos soulbind. This "massively overpowered" soulbind gives you 5% Versatility (Oh, the humanity!).
    Compare that with Nadjia, who gives you a 10 second Bloodlust every 90 seconds and either stronger flasks, pots and food or a flat 3% single target bonus and Pelagos' advantage shrinks to very little.
    Other Soulbinds are quite bad though admittedly.
    The big problem is that to get either the flask/food buff or 3% st bonus you need to drop a potency conduit.

So with Nadjia (and all the other soulbinds) you have either 2 potency conduits with the big DPS talent or 1 potency conduits with the big DPS talent and one small DPS talent.

Pelagos gives 2 potency Conduits and 2 big DPS talents (the first and last one) at the same time.

This is the problem.

It will probably be looked at the same way as playing with bad talents/essences.

Except you can't fix it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    Don't worry about the covenant, worry about the spec!
    Spec. always come first.
    Sorry for all feral druids, survivals and MM hunters, arcane mages, holy priests and so on... I do not regret discriminating you and I will continue to discriminate any other specs which just does not work in the content I do to the standard of which most of the specs can reach.

So no, your covenant won't be deciding factor or "next AotC".
    I plan on using the fotm spec and covenant, so why not both, lol?

Metadata is being used by the community as filters for pugs, so why not optimize my metadata anywhere I can?

I mean, I'm playing "World of Warcraft" I'm not role-playing "Ice Mage Gandolf," I'll get over whatever the meta is.

If two products were on amazon and one was 5 stars, 1000 reviews, and one was 4 stars, 75 reviews, I'm going with the 5 stars, just saying. I have no preference outside of optimization and I can't imagine caring, though to be fair it seems that most do.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-11-04 at 03:22 PM.

this system allows opportunity for people to make their own group and bring any/everyone.

if people are worried they won't get into a group because the group doesn't approve or doesn't like the person (for any reason, including choices made), then those people are evil/are following their own rules and you shouldn't want to be a part of them.

why would you want to be in a group that 'accepted' you? that's kinda gross..

that means you did what they wanted of you, lol. *shudders* and if you change yourself to fit in with them, you might as well leave, because you aren't here to begin with.

this'll weed out those who punish others/have rules, from those who who don't want to contribute to those ideals

lastly, have more worth than to have an opinion on what others require/whether or not you'll be chosen. if you're not chosen, if they have a problem with you, then they are the ones with the problem. meanwhile, you can form your own group however you want, open to all. if it's too much work and you'd rather pug, then stop complaining, lol.

and stop worrying about what others will do. if they are set on not accepting you, then you dodged intermixing with cruel people. or missed an opportunity to enlighten them. I'll make groups with everyone - I want to see many different covenant spells and abilities being used and players bringing their choices and covenant pride with them. otherwise everyone will be the same and boring.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    And just like AOTC, judging people by covenants will gain people very little.

I've been in dozens of pug raids over the years where AOTC was demanded in Legion and BfA, and the success of the raids were about on par as those that didn't demand AOTC. In fact, the two biggest (by far) raid pug failures were both in raids where AOTC were demanded.

Similarly, I've had arguments about my talent choices. Yes, in a sim, technically one or two of my choices are not the most optimal...however, for what I am able to do, the choices I've made are the best for me. And I end up in the 90%+ warcraftlogs range for my spec and iLvl. I've been on way too many runs to count where I'm clearly outperforming the idiots who complain about my choices.

You want success in M+ and raids? Work with people instead of working against people.